Post-Shooting Assessment (I know this issue has been beaten to death but good read)

This is a discussion on Post-Shooting Assessment (I know this issue has been beaten to death but good read) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gr84x4 What about providing first aid to the down and out attacker? Does this show guilt or remorse? Or does this show ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-Shooting Assessment (I know this issue has been beaten to death but good read)

Quote Originally Posted by gr84x4 View Post
    What about providing first aid to the down and out attacker? Does this show guilt or remorse? Or does this show that you needed to stop a threat to save your life, and now that you have done so you can render first aid?
    Very bad idea if you ask me. I was a victim of a home invasion when I was 19....my roommate opened fire on the 4 armed men who broke in. I didn't render any aid to them for the fear of being accused of trying to harm them.

If you've ever shot or seen someone shot "not on tv mind you", unless you've hit a vital organ, the assailant may still be a conscious and/or a threat.
    Same deal with the 4 armed guys breaking into my apartment. One died. He was shot twice in the chest with 9mm JHP rounds. He was able to run out the door and to the other side of the apartment building before he collapsed and died. That 20 or 30 seconds it took him to do that, he could have emptied all the rounds out of his gun into either me or my roommate. A threat is not neutralized until it is immobile or dead. In some situations, it may be a good idea to push the BGs firearm far out of his reach with your foot if you can do it safely.

Its a good read though. I like the idea of immediately taking cover if its available. You never know if the BG had a partner near by, or if an off duty LEO or CCW holder will mistake you as a BG and open fire on you. However I never though of yelling "I shot in self defense" immediately after shooting. Thats a really good idea.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

AIDS Hello !!! Anyone home. BG = Bad Guy = Drug Addict = Ex Con = Penitentiary Punk = HIV = AIDS . Even if you slop out and dont get AIDS from the filthy slime ball puss infested maggot, you still do not touch your wife or GF for three to nine months whatever the time it takes to get a definitive negative test result. Soon as I get done with LEO on a good shoot I am going home to celebrate sucking air. As far as I am concerned anyone ever makes me draw a weapon on them they, their family and all of their friends can go to hell in screaming agony before I will put myself in jeopardy of not being able to celebrate living. In addition to the fact that any aid I might render may be used as evidence that I finished the job after the BG was shot. Nope no way the creep has obviously caused me enough problems.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    To render assistance or not is going to have to be a judgement call and every one will be different. I posted earlier that I would attempt to render first-aid, but I would only do so if the situation warranted it. While many of you said you wouldn't and stated either legal or emotional or medical (all valid I might add), reasons for not doing so I just can't get this picture out of my head of the LPO's arriving on scene and here I stand next to persons unknown in the troughs of agony bleeding out from my bullets) and all I'm doing is watching the guy die. Fast forward to a court room a the prosecutor asks the LPO what were your reactions to the shooting...I'll leave it at that.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Senior Moderator
    LongRider hit it.

There is too much risk nowadays to take another equally deadly risk with blood born contaimination spread all over your hands, arms, legs, and possibly mouth eyes, or nose. Not only AIDS, but the several forms of Hepatitus or a host of other infectious diseases that can come from blood contact.

If you feel the need to assist, at the very least put on some rubber gloves.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Tis a VERY good point I overlooked LongRider!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Question ..... when you call 911 and explain the situation what are the basics that you convey? Name, location, bad guy down, send paramedics, your description, and that you shot in self defense? Anything else? As the LEO comes on the scene is your weapon holstered or on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    LongRider hit it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Tis a VERY good point I overlooked LongRider!
    Thanks, gents I so rarely get it right on these boards. But that is the thing that just kept echoing in my head, as to what was wrong with this picture when I read the well intended and high moral standard reflected in the render aid posts. Having watched people die of AIDs I know I would rather lose the gun fight, than to put my loved ones or myself through that. Not to mention the fact that if I contracted AIDs or any of the other diseases Hotguns mentioned, I could be the one endangering the ones I am supposed to protect & care for.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I would prefer to make sure he no longer required any assistance not mandated by the church. ie. last rights

Quote Originally Posted by gr84x4 View Post
    What about providing first aid to the down and out attacker? Does this show guilt or remorse? Or does this show that you needed to stop a threat to save your life, and now that you have done so you can render first aid?
    DO NOT RENDER FIRST AID!

Here is the rational for this statement as taught by or head instructor at RangeUSA University, the training facility where I work part time.

You shoot someone who was attacking you, either at home, or in a public venue. He is down, he is moaning or screaming in pain. You are away from him, behind cover. After you have determined that there is no other threat, he is alone in his attack, you holster your weapon. The cops are on the way but may be minutes away.
    You listen to him moan in pain. He is begging for help. You start to feel bad and you think you should go to his aid. It is the human thing to do after all. So you walk to him.
    As you lean over him to help, he produces a weapon, be it a knife or small gun and tried to harm you again. What is your natural response? You draw and fire on him again.
    Now, what have the witnesses most likely seen. Especially the ones who showed up after the initial shooting and only saw a man on the ground injured and watched you walk to him and then produce a gun and shoot this poor defenseless man who was on the ground and who was already injured. They just watched you finish him off. And that is what they will tell the police when they arrive.

Do not render first aid. Let someone else do that. They tried to kill you, they may very well try again. Animals are sometimes more dangerous after they are wounded. Let a qualified EMT, one who wasn't involved in the shooting for those of you on here who are EMT's, handle the first aid. You already saved one life, your own.

AIDS Hello !!! Anyone home. BG = Bad Guy = Drug Addict = Ex Con = Penitentiary Punk = HIV = AIDS . As far as I am concerned anyone ever makes me draw a weapon on them they, their family and all of their friends can go to hell in screaming agony before I will put myself in jeopardy of not being able to celebrate living.
    AMEN LongRider! You hit that one out of the park. AIDS and many other blood borne diseases are real concerns.
    Besides, as you said, if they tried to kill me or any member of my family, I'm not helping them with first aid. Not even for a paper cut. To heck with them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just a reminder that although a good read and much of it valid, this shouldn't take the place of professional traning.

I definately agree on not rendering first aid. To much risk is involved with that. It's his problem that you had to shoot in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links