Moving - TN HCP Question

This is a discussion on Moving - TN HCP Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently a TN HCP holder and am moving to St Louis, MO. I know that MO honors my TN permit. What I can't ...

Thread: Moving - TN HCP Question

Moving - TN HCP Question

I am currently a TN HCP holder and am moving to St Louis, MO.

I know that MO honors my TN permit. What I can't figure out is if I must surrender my TN permit upon moving since I awill no longer be a TN resident?

I will not be eligible to apply for a MO permit until I have been a resident for six months, so I would like to be able to carry with the TN permit as my legal backup, but I'm afraid that it could be illegal once I'm officially a MO resident. I will apply for my MO permit ASAP.

Any advice?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    TN is one of the states MO recognizes. I think you would be OK until you get you MO permit.

MO requires a CCW class, a local records check and a full background check through the Highway Patrol. Total cost of $200 to $250 depending on the cost of the class.

Have to agree with DigitalExplr. Six months is the requirement to qualify you as a legal resident of the state and until then you are will be considered a TN resident which means your TN permit will be valid. Don't know if this would help, in case you did have to use your weapon, but as soon after you change your mailing address as possible I'd suggest taking the class for the MO permit then carry that with you. That way if you did have to defend yourself you could produce your TN permit and also the paperwork from the MO class and tell them you're just waiting the required six months to turn it in as a MO resident.

This does bring up a rather interesting point for the highly mobile society we have today. For things such as registering a vehicle/s or getting a new driver's license the law states a time period after you make the state your legal residence, usually defined as changing your mailing address, in which you have to get such things done, when it comes to a CCW you have to BE a resident for a minimum amount of time to get the permit. In other words a very anti-gun prosecutor could try to use the fact you are a legal resident of one state but still with a permit from another state, showing your mailing address in your old state, since you haven't met the minimum residency requirements in your new state, against you. And I think the way I worded that is about as clear as Mississippi River mud.

Does Tennessee allow you to keep your license if you have moved out of the state? Based on their web site, you must inform them that you have moved within 10 days of your change of residence.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/hand...dgunchange.htm

I don't see anything here about if you move out of the state entirely though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links