Think Different...

This is a discussion on Think Different... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read a story over on ConcealedCarry.Net about a guy who came home to find his back door kicked in and two dirtbags stealing ...

Thread: Think Different...

Think Different...

I just read a story over on ConcealedCarry.Net about a guy who came home to find his back door kicked in and two dirtbags stealing his guns. He got his handgun from his truck, shot and wounded one of them, and held them both until cops got there.
    In my mind I'm always thinking about the threat outside and how important it is to carry. But I never really think about COMING HOME to a threat. If this guy decided not to carry that day, the outcome would have been totally different.
    I've learned two things from this little story:
    1. ALWAYS CARRY
    2. Vary your routine
    Anyway, just some of my thoughts.

http://carryconcealed.net/news/Yakim...tml?pagenum=1&
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

2. Remove Ads

I have a similar experience only thankfully the BG's bugged out the back door when they saw or heard my car pull up outside. There's a thread around here somewhere about it(I think it was around jan 06...ish). Basically I didn't find out someone was in the house until I was in the house. They entered via the back door and I entered via the front. I didn't realize anyone had been there until I got to the back hallway and found both doors(storm door swings out, Inside swings in) wide open. I ended up having to clear my own house to get safe passage back out the way I came.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    This is something I'm always aware of. When I drive up to my house, I scan the house for open windows and doors. I wouldn't go in if something was ajar, I'd call LEO, but I'd want to be armed incase someone came out of the house.

We always look around when coming home. I check the shop building, the front of the house, the side door, for anything out of place. And it helps that we have a lot of dogs. If they are coming out of their garage kennel into the outside chain link and are looking happy, then that definitely eases our minds.
    No dogs means a big problem.

The one time I didn't carry was the time I got robbed. Decided I would leave the old 1911 at home, I was running late. Didn't lock it up as I had it sitting on the nightstand from the night before. Came home opened up the garage and the door leading into the house was open. Called 911, told them there might still be a perp in the house and he most likely stole my gun. 40 min later a cop showed up and asked me if I wanted to go in first. I almost punched him. I told him if he wanted to give me his pistol I would go in first. Typical for city of Vancouver police department. The guy didn't even really care that guns had been stolen. They wouldn't take finger prints and they said the guy would prolly never be caught.

Needless to say, when I come home now I have a hand on my pistol and when I am not home I keep my guns locked up.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

BGR
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    The one time I didn't carry was the time I got robbed. Decided I would leave the old 1911 at home, I was running late. Didn't lock it up as I had it sitting on the nightstand from the night before. Came home opened up the garage and the door leading into the house was open. Called 911, told them there might still be a perp in the house and he most likely stole my gun. 40 min later a cop showed up and asked me if I wanted to go in first. I almost punched him. I told him if he wanted to give me his pistol I would go in first. Typical for city of Vancouver police department. The guy didn't even really care that guns had been stolen. They wouldn't take finger prints and they said the guy would prolly never be caught.

Needless to say, when I come home now I have a hand on my pistol and when I am not home I keep my guns locked up.

Yep, we are on our own. Cops don't clear buildings anymore. They call SWAT and secure the perimiter and wait for the perp to surrender.
    Join the NRA no excuses!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

As others have stated I too check the outside for unusual changes. If something were out of place I too call 911 but I always have a gun on me just in case.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

We all too often think it will happen to someone else, . . . not us, . . . not here. . . .

He wasn't carrying. It was in his vehicle, and that could have easily cost him his life.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links