Reasoning behind the list.

This is a discussion on Reasoning behind the list. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going back reading over some of the post and came across something that I know I have seen before and thought it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was going back reading over some of the post and came across something that I know I have seen before and thought it was weird but never really figured it out.

Why do some states require that you list the weapon your concealing on the license?

Texas you either get a NSA, which means not semi automatic, and you can only carry a revolver, or you get a SA, semi automatic, which means you can carry whether semi automatic or not. Basically, if you can conceal it go for it. The only thing is that you must qualify with the SA in order to get the SA on the license. No big deal.

So what is the reasoning for having to list the gun that your going to carry on your license? To me this would severely limit one's ability to change out depending on the daily activity and such, and would pretty much be a pain in the old keister.

How many states require that you list the specific weapon on the license, and is it by manufacturer, and model or is it by serial number?

I hope this is in the right area, if not please move it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Real reason or official reason?

Officially, I would say it is because of 'public safety' or some BS like that.

Real reason? Registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Officially, I would say it is because of 'public safety' or some BS like that.

Real reason? Registration.
    Agreed. It's an informal registration under the guise of "public safety".
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Thank God I live in Virginia no registration here.

None in WV either. Thank you for small courtesies.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsor
    It could also be a revenue thing. If you need a carry license for a specific gun then you need one for each gun.

3 guns= 3 licenses= 3 fees $$$$

And the local Govt. knows (presumably) how many hand guns you have and what they are. (should the safety of the public ever require you to be forcibly dis-armed ala post Katrina New Orleans).

We Ohioans have some real work ahead of us to make things "Right" with our carry laws. But, at least, we don't have gun registration and my CCW allows me to carry any "legal" hand gun.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Just to mess with your mind and make it harder to carry.
    Why do the idiot Texans have to NSA / SA rule??

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Why do the idiot Texans have to NSA / SA rule??

AFS
    Ah, maybe to make sure you can shoot a semiauto pistol safely? That one is pretty easy to understand.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Why is a semi auto more difficult/less safe than a revolver? And, as an aside, where is there any "safety" requirement at all in the 2A?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In California, it varies by county. I have 15 pistols (3 revolvers, 12 semis) on my permit. The county to the south limits you to 3 guns. The one to the north takes an act of god to even get a permit. The sheriff decides, and luckily, ours is darn good!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I don't intend to get into a ******* contest on here, the post is about the states that require you to list your concealed carry weapon on your license and what information is required etc., not what the second amendment requires on safety.

It is a given that the states do retain rights over and above the federal government on certain issues including guns, that is not what the post is about.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I don't intend to get into a ******* contest on here, the post is about the states that require you to list your concealed carry weapon on your license and what information is required etc., not what the second amendment requires on safety.

It is a given that the states do retain rights over and above the federal government on certain issues including guns, that is not what the post is about.
    Agreed, that's why it was an aside...

But, it has been upheld that registration (by and large) is a no-go, but by listing (and thereby recording ownership) a person's carry weapon on their permit, the state is doing just that - de facto registration.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Here in AR, we "use" to have to list the guns you were going to carry..not anymore, they changed it so now we can carry almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Why is a semi auto more difficult/less safe than a revolver? And, as an aside, where is there any "safety" requirement at all in the 2A?
    There is no doubt that it takes more to operate a semi than a revolver. Some people can't even rack a slide. Thats why we tell newbies to shoot a revolver first.

Not saying that it is right to restrict to non SA if you pass in a revolver, but it's wrong to say that a semi is as easy to use. Maybe for those familiar with firearms, it is, but in terms of complexity of manual of arms, the two are not the same.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    There is no doubt that it takes more to operate a semi than a revolver. Some people can't even rack a slide. Thats why we tell newbies to shoot a revolver first.

Not saying that it is right to restrict to non SA if you pass in a revolver, but it's wrong to say that a semi is as easy to use. Maybe for those familiar with firearms, it is, but in terms of complexity of manual of arms, the two are not the same.
    Tell that to the very experienced federal agents I ran my "Fun Drill" thread with! They are all extremely competent with semi-autos, but had absolutely no idea how to put a revo into operation...

Starting with an empty weapon, for a revo you must:
    Open the cylinder.
    Load each round/use a speed loader/strip (another skill many auto shooters might not know).
    Close the cylinder.
    Pull the trigger.

For an auto such as a Glock:
    Load the magazine.
    Insert the magazine.
    Pull the slide to the rear and let it go.
    Pull the trigger.

I'll not argue that a semi-auto is more complicated to run well (malfunctions, safeties when they exist, disassembly, etc), but they can be pretty darned close in terms of simply getting a bullet to come out... And the requirements state that, if you can use a semi-, you can use a revo...my little drill proved this assumption to be dead wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links