Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building - Page 3

Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building

This is a discussion on Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am also frustrated by the incredible stupidity of people. Once, in San Francisco, I was sitting in a fast food restaraunt with my wife ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I am also frustrated by the incredible stupidity of people. Once, in San Francisco, I was sitting in a fast food restaraunt with my wife and a friend. We noticed a man in the median strip of the road, obviously drunk, stepping into traffic, the back onto the grassy median. He also was staggering, and several times nearly fell into oncoming traffic. I used a cell phone to dial 911, thinking that the man would be better off spending a day in a cell than eternity in a box. I was ON HOLD after dialing 911, waiting for a dispatcher to take my call. Then, after reporting the incident. I sat there and watched for quite a while. I never saw a police car. Call 911 and police will be there like that. Yeah, right.

I find this, like most similar policies, sad. I'm lucky to work in a place where there's no policy (I've heard that weapons are a no-no, but not from anyone in authority) about firearms/carrying, so when my CCW comes in, it's there.
    What disturbs me about the policy in the OP:
    Stay there until someone gives you the all-clear.
    Ummm..."someone"? Hrmm, OK, here's my scenario - a friend of an employee, or an ex employee, someone, finds about about this policy. Goes on a rampage, shoots a few. The rest of the sheep follows this policy. Go into an unoccupied area, fire a few shots to simulate the police (who were of course there in a snap of the fingers) neutralizing the threat. Then go around to the "locked" offices and give them the all-clear. Then when they open up the doors...have at it again.

This is similar to the "code red" policy they instituted in my high school when Columbine happened. One part of the procedure said "If you're in a classroom, lock the door, and hide. Don't let anyone in." Another part said "If you're in a hallway, get into the nearest classroom." Does anyone see a problem here?

It's funny, whenever I asked for a clarification on the policy, I never got an answer.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Call 911 and police will be there like that. Yeah, right.
    Well, that depends on what you call police for... and what else is going on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My workplace has a similar policy. If an armed intruder starts rampaging, go to an office, lock the door, grab the phone and hide under a desk. Of course it's security policy to lock the office when the occupant leaves, so it's likely the door will be locked when the employee needs to hide. Not to mention there's 300 employees working in open cubicles and about 50 offices---be quick!

This is in a long narrow multi-story building with a stairwell and exit at each end. My plan A is if I hear shooting at one end, I'm departing ASAP at the other end.

Fortunately I own my small company of 20 employees. Our company policy permits CHL holder having their handguns on them except where client policy prohibits. (i.e. refinery, ports, etc.) In fact, we try to periodically go to the gunrange for an afternoon of shooting. I also setup CHL classes so that the employees could obtain their permits.

Recently, we fired an employee who had only been on the job for 3 days for cause. Everyone was uncomfortable with this individual as he made numerous statements about guns, Jews, etc. Needless to say he would have found a heavily armed unwelcoming committee had he tried to come back and take revenge!

It is a brilliant! If enough people follow this plan chances are the BG will be out of ammo before he can shoot the guy who wrote this policy.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

They still chose to ban firearms because it made people feel safer.

How many people must die in workplace shootings for the "sheepeople" to understand that they are sitting ducks? You know i remember reading something in my NRA magazine that the NRA will be fighting this very issue sometime in 2008. Hopefully they win & companies cant tell us that we have to die like everyone else anymore.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    It is a brilliant! If enough people follow this plan chances are the BG will be out of ammo before he can shoot the guy who wrote this policy.
    Funny, sad, and true all at the same time! Ugh, I feel bad for laughing at that!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    The administrator said, "The police will be here like that", giving a finger snap. Yeh, right...
    You could have said something to the effect of, "What do you think the chances are that the administrators at Virginia tech thought the very same thing? Well, at least the police got there "like that" *snap* and were able to limit the death toll to only 32..."

There's not much point to this post other than my exasperation about how stupid people can be. I am entirely comfortable carrying in that job, and I am entirely comfortable looking for another job if I should be found out.
    I am very glad for you that you decide to carry despite the moronic rule. One day you might end up being the hero who saves dozens of defenseless lives--or just one that's very important to you (your own).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I am very glad for you that you decide to carry despite the moronic rule. One day you might end up being the hero who saves dozens of defenseless lives--or just one that's very important to you (your own).
    I agree with you: I owe my allegience to my wife and daughter, and not to an employer who wants me to line up and be slaughtered if an armed person comes to call. It's up to me to preserve my life so I can be there for my family.

I shudder when I realize I used to think just like that misguided administrator. Those days are done. I worked today, with one on the hip and one in the Smartcarry.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Here's a better policy, because it at least makes everyone a moving target, is easy to remember because it rhymes, and may confuse the shooter:

WHEN IN TROUBLE, WHEN IN DOUBT,
    RUN IN CIRCLES, SCREAM AND SHOUT!

Perhaps you should ask for clarification of the policy, for instance, "What is the policy for when I am cornered, a gun is aimed at me, and all my coworkers have been shot?"
    Last edited by paramedic70002; November 24th, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    It hurts my brain to even consider the thought process of these people. They know it doesn't work, but they do it anyway.

Holdcard

These are the people who fully justify our wish that they be the first ones picked off...

I can't feel bad about hoping that the BGs take them out. Stupidity such as that is criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, that depends on what you call police for... and what else is going on.
    Clearly, there are places that even if the police are fully unoccupied and even if you call about the direst of circumstances it's still going to be long over when they finally are able to arrive even at top speed.

Hmm, in our office, we have an armed assailant policy too.

If we have the opportunity, we shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post

How many people must die in workplace shootings for the "sheepeople" to understand that they are sitting ducks? You know i remember reading something in my NRA magazine that the NRA will be fighting this very issue sometime in 2008. Hopefully they win & companies cant tell us that we have to die like everyone else anymore.
    This is one I don't think we will get in our favor. Yes, a good part of the time, they don't allow it because it makes people feel better. The other big part of it is that their insurance would go through the roof if they allowed it, so its also a cost decision (probably based on the insurance company's poor perception that less firearms = less risk)

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    The administrator said, "The police will be here like that", giving a finger snap. Yeh, right...
    Yes they will....in a few minutes, WITH GUNS. that's right, lady, the police will be here....within 20 minutes...WITH GUNS.

The people you are depending on to DEFEND your LIFE will do so WITH GUNS.

Hmmm....You will eliminate the middle man when buying a cell phone online, but WILL NOT eliminate the middle man when DEFENDING YOUR LIFE.

Anyone who has ever fired a gun knows it takes half a second to point and pull a trigger....will the cops be here in half a second?

or even less than a minute?

sorry, That's just a dumb comment, and one made by a person who would most likely be dead if she happened to be there when it all went wrong.

Eliminate the middle man...carry your OWN gun. I support you in that, Grady.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links