Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building - Page 4

Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building

This is a discussion on Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the mindset of most companies...or "RUN" is writtren in there somewhere...at least in my copy I would sarcastically write in "run!!" But in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building

This is the mindset of most companies...or "RUN" is writtren in there somewhere...at least in my copy I would sarcastically write in "run!!" But in the unpublished copy I am preparing for myself is an italicized portion that states "...move to best cover place, remove NAA derringer, and wait." I am planning on purchasing a small NAA for myself for xmas and it will give me a lil sense of security should the SHTF. And its small enough that only I will know. NO GUNS is written in the policy but the building is not posted.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Policies are for the little everyday things that occur normally in the course of running a business.Policies that are written to deal with scenarios such as yours are simply a babbling statement of how things would work in fairytail land.Please be wise enough to simply file that policy in the useless BS that I'll never use drawer and do not attempt to engage the author or argue the details.Be fully prepared to defend yourself in the case of the "scenario" playing out and keep your info to yourself.Better to go down fighting than cowering under your desk.

I'm pretty sure if I brought up my company's "no weapons whatsoever makes us safe" policy that I would be fired almost on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I am also frustrated by the incredible stupidity of people. Once, in San Francisco, I was sitting in a fast food restaraunt with my wife and a friend. We noticed a man in the median strip of the road, obviously drunk, stepping into traffic, the back onto the grassy median. He also was staggering, and several times nearly fell into oncoming traffic. I used a cell phone to dial 911, thinking that the man would be better off spending a day in a cell than eternity in a box. I was ON HOLD after dialing 911, waiting for a dispatcher to take my call. Then, after reporting the incident. I sat there and watched for quite a while. I never saw a police car. Call 911 and police will be there like that. Yeah, right.
    As soon as I saw
    Once, in San Francisco
    I knew what to expect...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You know what they say a Republican is a Democrat that's been robbed....
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I guess our policy doesn't matter much, I work for a gov contractor on an Air force base. Besides, there are agents walking around all day with H&K 40s and M4s. I feel pretty safe at work, but after work on my commute home is a different story.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    "The police will be here like that", giving a finger snap.
    Anyone that believes police will show up and eliminate a threat at the snap of the fingers should review the Columbine timeline as compiled by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. 43 minutes passed between the first 911 call from inside the building and when the first SWAT team enters the building. I understand that the Sheriff's office has changed their SOP for school shootings in order to provide a quicker entry. But I'm sure the SOP for "gunman in a business" still involves, wait for backup, secure the perimeter and form an entry plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Anyone that believes police will show up and eliminate a threat at the snap of the fingers should review the Columbine timeline as compiled by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. 43 minutes passed between the first 911 call from inside the building and when the first SWAT team enters the building. I understand that the Sheriff's office has changed their SOP for school shootings in order to provide a quicker entry. But I'm sure the SOP for "gunman in a business" still involves, wait for backup, secure the perimeter and form an entry plan.
    And to me, that seems like the sensible thing for the police to focus on. Their first step should always be to do their best to make sure that the BG(s) can't get away and do even more harm elsewhere. Only once this is accomplished should they start worrying about what's going on inside.

Of course, I'm one of those crazy folks who believes it is up to each individual to protect him/herself in whatever way he/she feels comfortable with, and that the main function of the police is to investigate crimes & apprehend BGs after their deeds are already done. (Which, for the most part, I believe they do quite well ) The administration at this & many other businesses obviously disagree with me, but I'm OK with that for the reason I just mentioned.

Just so I'm clear - I won't complain if the police happen to be in the right place at the right time and they are able to protect me from harm, I just don't assume they will be, and the Supreme Court says they aren't obligated to be. As many others have stated - stay safe, stay armed!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Actually the whole idea of the "active shooter" has changed our training and reaction paradigm. If a criminal is engaged in active homicide. i.e. killing people right now. We have to move aggressively with decisive action to neutralize the threat. So we form up into a "diamond" formation and hunt the bad guy down. This is the current thinking in all tactical circles these days. My team is busy training the whole 1700+ officer department in these fundamentals. So you may be safe if a tactical unit happens to be in the area and able to respond.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links