Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building

This is a discussion on Rant about workplace policy for armed assailant in company building within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just received a copy of my workplace's written policy on how to deal with an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just received a copy of my workplace's written policy on how to deal with an armed assailant who has entered the building. I work in a highly anti environment, as you will be able to tell. I'll summarize so as not to incriminate myself. (My comments in bold.)

Lock office door if possible. Many office doors do not lock.

If office door doesn't lock, move office furniture in front of door. Most office furniture is on wheels, so anything rolled in front of the door can easily be pushed out of the way.

Retreat to the far corner of the room. What a great choice of words. Do we line up on the opposite wall in firing squad formation?

Stay there until someone gives you the all-clear. That's right... just depend on someone else to take care of me... take no responsibility for myself. Oh wait, they forgot to tell us to bend over and kiss our anatomy good-bye.

An administrator got to talking to me last week about what I would do if someone came in with a gun. What I wanted to say was, "Well, I would rely on one of the two guns I have on me at this time, and some of the 45 rounds I have on me at this time, to defend myself." But I didn't feel like looking for another job immediately. I did want to interject the subject of guns, so I said, "I would hope the on-site security would be armed." I knew they weren't armed, and the administrator expressed shock about even the thought of licensed and trained security guards carrying a weapon. The administrator said, "The police will be here like that", giving a finger snap. Yeh, right...

There's not much point to this post other than my exasperation about how stupid people can be. I am entirely comfortable carrying in that job, and I am entirely comfortable looking for another job if I should be found out.

Sometimes I am really disheartened at how stupid people can be. I think I need to go console myself at the range, or maybe go buy another gun.

Senior Moderator
    I hear ya! People seem to be far more frightened of good men with guns than being attacked by BGs with guns.

You said/did about all you could.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I know nothing about your company, but it seems like a good time to talk about the real terms of self defense;
    1. levels of awareness.
    2. rules of distance
    3. staying mobile and moving away from the violence.
    4. preparing to attack the violence
    Perhaps if you could put a paper together and show them how reidiculous their ideas are they might even hire you prepare a better plan. LOL

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    "The administrator said, "The police will be here like that", giving a finger snap."

Reminds me of that Gov Rep in Ohio (I think it was Ohio) who had voted AGAINST CC both times it came up - passed anyway the second time.
    He was walking in his "safe" neighborhood and was chased by a couple BG's with guns and got away.
    Later he publicly stated "I was WRONG." and got his CC & took some neighbors with him.
    Your Administrator would most likely change his mind if HE was cowering in the corner looking at the bad end of the barrel wielded by a BG himself - seeing that the Police don't instantly "beam over" like a Star Trek scene.

Sometimes it takes an up close and personal encounter to open someone's eyes to reality.
    For God, Family and Country!

The scenario below depicts an actual event in Grady's workplace...AFTER...the defensless workers realize Grady (see Grady wearing headband) and his weapon are the only 'saving grace'...
    Note: The police have already been called and should arrive withn 15-20 minutes...

Stay armed...go Grady...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is clearly a "warm and fuzzy" feel good policy. It never ceases to amaze me that people could actually say anything like that. Watch the news to see that over and over real life has proven that this simply does not save any lives or prevent injury.

Where I work they have come up with a policy banning firearms on company property. This happened after someone without a permit left a firearm visible in their car.

During the policy making process they did ask me about it (my standard greeting is "When we going shooting") so they know I am familiar with firearms. I gave them all sorts of real life information and they still chose to ban firearms.

When I talked to the person in charge of gathering the information for the committee they said they realize everything I gave them was true and a sign would not stop anyone intent on doing damage. They still chose to ban firearms because it made people feel safer.

It hurts my brain to even consider the thought process of these people. They know it doesn't work, but they do it anyway.

Hmmmmm. I guess I share in your rant.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Workplace policy - some of the dumbest things come out of "group think". The head guy is probably an "anti" and all the "yes" people on the workplace violence committee just sign on to impress the boss - good for next rating review. In private industry you can at least take the chance of carrying if so inclined - I don't advocate that tho'. On Federal property we would get the hangman's noose and be in the poke with Lee Roy for a long long time if caught carrying. 3 years 9 months to go till 24/7 carry.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

By way of suggestion; Write up a better policy. The pen can be mightier than the pistol on occasion.
    You probably will not get them to allow CC, but that policy will get them sued.

I've never checked in depth to see what my employers policy is on this. I know they don't "Allow" conceal carry in the building, but beyond that....? I work on an open floor with the notorious cubicles everywhere. There isn't going to be much concealment and no cover when it comes to the guy walking down the aisles. But I figure my life is more important than company policy.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Administrator
    Ya know, I really dont have an issue with it. The people that wrote it and the people who its written for are not carrying, and dont have any means of protection. SO, if thats the best they can come up with, so be it. These things are not written with survival in mind, they are written to avoid a legal conflict.

AND, if you are involved with a active workplace shooting, and your following company policy at that point... your a lost cause anyway. I mean really, who's going to whip out the employee handbook and follow the recomended course of action when the bullets are flying?

This just makes it even more important for those in the survival mindset to carry on, and be aware of what the lemmings are doing so we are not forced to follow/
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hmmm, Reading that policy...... It sounds so familier...Oh yeah , Virginia Tech.....

Ask them:

A) If they contracted a real security firm to write their policy.
    B) If not, did they contract one to evaluate the policy they wrote on their own, reminding them of the legal liabilities they are incurring should such an incident occur.
    C) If neither A nor B, ask them to contract a professional security firm to evaluate their policy, and again, reminding them of the legal liabilities they've heaped on themselves.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

companies whith these policies remind me of a book i read in highschool. especialy their mastery of the concept of doublethink. "criminals don't care about the laws. so lets tell them they aren't allowed to have guns on the property and they won't shoot us here." oops i just commited thought crime.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    that's why I've never been silent about my CCW.
    My HR Vice President once gave me the same speech.
    I was on Wall Street, we got bombers beside ticked off customers with guns.
    I told him I carried off the job and I didn't carry at work (yeah, right).
    But that if I got killed by some psyco my widow would get one hell of a check because I wasn't able to defend myself.
    All he really cared about was the risk factor to the company.
    His problem then became a simple one. He worked for me. The company policy became silent on guns. Not a word about them.
    You should have seen his face one day when I pulled out a switchblade to open a box.

They're sheep

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

And what if the cops do show up? Most of the time they just take up positions around the building to make sure the BG is 'contained' (within the flock of sheep), and wait for a hostage negotiator and SWAT team. Even the cops have to wait for the 'proper authorities' to arrive. BAH.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links