I was under a mile away from commiting a felony!

This is a discussion on I was under a mile away from commiting a felony! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate that my folks live up here in Northern Virgina. I was trying to go visit my sister and her husband, and I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was under a mile away from commiting a felony!

I was under a mile away from commiting a felony!

I hate that my folks live up here in Northern Virgina.

I was trying to go visit my sister and her husband, and I was gonna pick her up from the Crystal City metro stop. Traffic was crazy (and I don't really know where I was going) and I missed my exit...then I was stuck on 395N heading into Washington D.C

Luckily there was an exit ( I think the last one) before I crossed the river and I found a way back south.

In a situation like that: What would you do?

My thinking was (if I crossed into DC): take the gun out of the holster, unload it, and lock it in the glove box while driving (cuz I can't get into the trunk). Now I know this may not be perfectly ideal but it would be better than nothing and temporary until I could get it into the trunk and or get out of DC.

I hate feeling like I have to jump through hoops for my right to bear arms.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, it's quite an annoying situation. Best you can probably do is get turned around asap and bug out fast and hope you don't get stopped before you get back across the bridge. And yes that exit just before the bridge is it. Once you cross the bridge you're in enemy territory.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

haha wow I was closer than I thought. Look at the google map of it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...&t=h&z=15&om=1

I got off on GW parkway and headed back down past Regan National.

Wow, glad I live in CO. If I cross the state line I goto WY, UT, KS, or NM. All are friendly.

If I caught myself before I got into DC, I'd turn around--safely, but violating traffic laws if necessary.

If I was in DC before I realized, I'd cautiously find the most inconspicuous way out--you've already committed the crime, and messing with the gun just increases the risk of detection.

Luckily, my licenses are good in all the surrounding states.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I hate that my folks live up here in Northern Virgina.

I was trying to go visit my sister and her husband, and I was gonna pick her up from the Crystal City metro stop. Traffic was crazy (and I don't really know where I was going) and I missed my exit...then I was stuck on 395N heading into Washington D.C

Luckily there was an exit ( I think the last one) before I crossed the river and I found a way back south.

In a situation like that: What would you do?

My thinking was (if I crossed into DC): take the gun out of the holster, unload it, and lock it in the glove box while driving (cuz I can't get into the trunk). Now I know this may not be perfectly ideal but it would be better than nothing and temporary until I could get it into the trunk and or get out of DC.

I hate feeling like I have to jump through hoops for my right to bear arms.
    If you find yourself in DC {mistakenly}--do not stop.

Get off the next exit (Potomac Park)--follow the road until you get to a stop sign. Stop. Signal Left. Turn Left. Go to the end of the road (T-intersection). Stop. Signal Left. Turn Left. Follow the road about 1/4 mile (going under I-395), bear to the left and follow the signs to I-395 South...Welcome back to VA.

Key points here:
    - Once you cross the river leaving VA, you are screwed.
    - Do not stop.
    - Do not handle your gun--you won't be in compliance with the law (D.C.) and you risk an N.D. (doubly screwed)
    - Follow the traffic laws
    - Do not panic
    - Get back to friendly territory

This is my plan if I find myself in a similiar situation--but I plan on not getting that far.

Edited to add: If you stop along the road anywhere along I-395, there is plenty of federal LE willing to stop and see if you need any "help"--after they've checked your car. PLEASE do not stop. As good as your intentions are, you risk being caught. Whether the gun is in your glovebox, trunk, or in a box under the seat, in Wash D.C. you may as well have a GAU-8 mounted on your car and have bullets pouring out of your pockets...because you will go to jail.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Isn't this whole thread just nuts? Can anyone find a state legislator that will read this and try to do something?

I'm protected. I live in FL. I also have my CWP. But...to many live with these idiotic rules.

I wish I knew the answer because I know we could have election in FL that could turn things.

I hope everyone that votes Democratic understands what they are voting for -- control over every aspect of your life. Including control over your gun (or...more accurately... the gun you thought was yours).

Every time I go to, or pass thru, Oregon I have to stop in Washington,or Idaho, and remove pistol, put it in a hardcase in back of the vehicle, and place the ammo in a seperate container. Then when I leave Oregon I stop and reload for travel in Washington or Idaho. It is a bother, but since I don't go to oregon as much it isn't worth getting an out of state License for Oregon.

VIP Member
    I feel your pain. I live across the river from Illinois.

I took the UT course at a sportsmen's club in Easton PA. The instructor gave me directions to get off at the last exit on I 78 East before crossing to NJ. He told me if I missed the exit, to make an illegal U-turn in the median - better a traffic ticket in PA than a felony weapons arrest in NJ!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Same here I can carry in 30 out of the 50 states
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Wow, glad I live in CO. If I cross the state line I goto WY, UT, KS, or NM. All are friendly.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Every time I go to, or pass thru, Oregon I have to stop in Washington,or Idaho, and remove pistol, put it in a hardcase in back of the vehicle, and place the ammo in a seperate container.
    Living in Oregon, the OR & UT CHL's cover everything west of MT/WY/CO/TX, except for CA.

Yes, the cross-border silliness is criminal, in that it should be required at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I too live across the river from Illinois. I have solved the problem of carrying there. No friends or relatives in the state and I prefer to spend my money in a place where I, and my pistol, are welcome. We shop in Ky. or Tenn.

I don't think I agree with all the panicky emergency hand brake turns, etc. to get out of dodge. You risk getting pulled over and searched. Better I think to calmy take the next turn/exit possible and proceed to get out like nothing happened.

Just like carrying concealed into a store that's posted (as long as it's legal) concealed means concealed. You don't turn around and run to your car while unholstering, screaming "I've got a gun, and I can't go in!"

Just like carrying concealed into a store that's posted (as long as it's legal) concealed means concealed. You don't turn around and run to your car while unholstering, screaming "I've got a gun, and I can't go in!"

I think its stupid that we even have to worry about stupid thing like this. Just remember everyone, elections are coming up. Lets let them know how we feel & please if your not an NRA member JOIN!! The bigger we are the better, we must protect are 2nd amendment rights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links