Illegal CCW at work.....

Illegal CCW at work.....

This is a discussion on Illegal CCW at work..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hereís a little story of something that happened today. I would be interested in the groupís thoughts and opinions. I operate a small business and ...

Thread: Illegal CCW at work.....

Illegal CCW at work.....

Hereís a little story of something that happened today. I would be interested in the groupís thoughts and opinions. I operate a small business and sometimes employees utilize their own vehicles for business purposes (for which they are compensated). This morning one of my project managers sent a technician out for some supplies in his truck. The technician stopped for coffee and a donut and after consuming them placed the cup and debris in a bag and tossed it on the floor of the truck. As he was exiting the vehicle the tech reached back in for the bag and noticed a handgun under the seat. He got upset and called the office and complained to our dispatcher. He was upset and felt that he had been put at risk.

Just a note, here that in MA it is illegal to have a gun under the seat of a vehicle unless the gun is in a locked container or has an appropriate locking device. Of course that also assumes that one has the appropriate permit.

So moving along with the story. The tech was upset because he does not have a permit and was concerned about what would have happened if he was stopped for some reason or got into an accident. Certainly an understandable concern. MA is not a gun friendly state.

The dispatcher contacted the project manager (pm) and relayed the complaint. Here is where it gets good! The pm just laughs and says not to worry because the gun is unloaded and it does not work anyway. He only carries it for those times when he is in bad neighborhoods. ***!!! Oh yeah, the pm also does not have any kind of permit.

Luckily nothing happened. The pm volunteered not to carry it in his vehicle anymore and the tech is letting it go. We are consulting our attorney, but hopefully this is just a minor issue that we can forget about.

As a final note I do not meddle in my employees private business and I do not discourage LEGAL ccw. However, this pm put another employee at risk at least from a legal perspective. The pm is a great employee in all other ways and I do not want to blow this out of proportion. So, any thoughts?

Assistant Administrator
    Goose - sounds to me like you are about exactly where you oughta be! Indeed, there could have been legal ramifications but - all was well fortunately. Small words in a few small ears should take care of it - call it a ''learning experience'' for all involved.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goose
    The pm just laughs and says not to worry because the gun is unloaded and it does not work anyway. He only carries it for those times when he is in bad neighborhoods. ***!!! Oh yeah, the pm also does not have any kind of permit.
    What? The logic of that makes my head hurt... why would you illegally put a nonfunctional gun in a vehicle for self protection? What good is it? The best thing that can happen is a situation like this and the worst thing that can happen is you get killed holding a nonfunctional gun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goose
    ...However, this pm put another employee at risk at least from a legal perspective. The pm is a great employee in all other ways and I do not want to blow this out of proportion. So, any thoughts?
    He may be a good employee, but his logic and judgement should give you pause.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    Agree with Euc - meant to bring up that aspect.

I am being magnanimous however over the guy's ''error'' and cutting slack in hope he was basically careless and a tad foolish too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Uh-Oh

So which is worse, the project manager carrying an illegal firearm in one of your company's trucks, or the Tech stopping for coffee and donuts while on the clock and then tossing the trash on the floor of a company owned vehicle?

I agree with P95 first comments above but think he should talk with the lawyer for a good chewing out as to the position he put the company in. A good guy is a good guy but I don't want him to think he is God and can create a major issue for the company. Just my thoughts.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I assume you know what management style this PM responds to best. Use it to impress upon him that what he did was illegal, and that it could have had serious consequences for him, the other employee and the company.

I also question the logic of having a "brandishing iron" around. I mean really, what is the point? I had a girl I work with tell me she wanted to get a permit and a gun so she could just show it to someone who was hassling her, etc. I told her to not get a permit or a gun until she was ready to take on the serious responsibility of having them both.

-Scott-

Goose- I hope you had a very short, one-way conversation with your PM listening and you talking while he was standing at parade rest in your office. There are so many things wrong with this scenario that I hope you have no tolerance for any of it. Your PM put you in a very tenuous position. With judgement that keen I hope he doesn't ask for a pay raise anytime soon!

You obviously have a credibility and judgement issue with the PM. You know the guy and we don't. He not only puts himself at risk, but places your business (and your financial well-being) at risk.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. I think we'd all find it interesting if you care to share it.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Sponsored Links