My boss is pretty cool with CCW

This is a discussion on My boss is pretty cool with CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately, we work for a company that not only forbids carrying concealed on premises but felt the need to post an annoying sign at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boss is pretty cool with CCW

My boss is pretty cool with CCW

Unfortunately, we work for a company that not only forbids carrying concealed on premises but felt the need to post an annoying sign at the entrance to the building stating so. He hates it, I hate it, I think my buddy, screen name morg on here, hates it and so do several of the other people who have their permits who work there.

Wednesday the company decided to have a pot luck lunch at 11:45am. Our department (it consists of me, morg, our supervisor and our boss) decided that we wanted to go someplace for lunch instead of roll the dice on what may be available at the pot luck. So we decided to go to Subway. I volunteered to drive.

As we pulled out of the back parking lot there were a couple of somewhat shady looking guys on the street and we got caught at the stop light. They were milling around eyeballing my Jeep with us in it. My boss was sitting right behind me and he said "I assume you have something where you can get to it if you need to." To which I just said yes I do.

It is pretty cool having a boss that is also into guns and carrying like morg and I are. We are all talking about going shooting at the range where I work as a Range Assistant pretty soon.

On an interesting note, the station I work for is one of the 9 FOX owned and operated TV stations FOX is selling. The company that is trying to buy us and the others has a 14 page employee handbook. 14 pages. The one I have right now is over 100 pages long. And there is nothing in the new company's handbook about weapons. In fact, they have 2 rules. #1, use your best judgement. #2, always refer to rule #1. Maybe we'll be able to CCW at work some day, but I doubt it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

sounds like a cool boss, but what happened with the shady fellows.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    It probably takes a little pressure off knowing your boss is on the same page with you. That's very cool!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

sounds like a cool boss, but what happened with the shady fellows.
    They didn't do anything. Just eyed us. Maybe they figured that they couldn't take 4 of us without suffering some casualties.

They would have been correct.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds good.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

1943 - 2009
    #1, use your best judgement. #2, always refer to rule #1.
    I've always liked those rules.

Seems to me they could apply to just about everything we do. If more people would use good judgement and common sense, we'd be a whole lot better off of as a society.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    If more people would use good judgement and common sense, we'd be a whole lot better off of as a society.
    Amen to that Terry!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Should have answered your boss by saying " Boy sure hope it doesn't come to that".

As you know, Mike, south of the tracks and west is pretty rough territory and they travel to work as muggers, theives, carjackers, etc. Glad you are safe.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Cool boss...
    Do you keep it in the car? Is the car well protected while you're in work? Or, do you keep it concealed?
    Hope the new company thing works out...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My boss is great when it comes to CCW. I'm the boss and I prefer my employees to be armed. In the past year the only employee I've hired is my son-in-law and he works for the sheriff's department when not working for me. I just put him to work on his day off doing termite jobs. He did kind of get my attention the other day while we were hunting and ran into some poachers. He forgot his carry gun and only had his bow. I just about fired him for that. ;-) In this day and age a bow sucks in a gun fight! I always carry and have never had a customer complain. Of course I don't advertise that I'm carrying a gun but there have been times that I've been called to a not so go section of town and I've felt the need to adjust my holster for quicker access. The last time was a house with vehicles parked on the front yard and they wouldn't answer the door and yet I could hear scampering behind the front door when I rang the door bell. I couldn't spray the back yard with for ticks because there were supposed to be pit bulls in it. Not a good feeling until I finally made phone contact with the yo-yos and they informed me that all the dogs had died. As soon as they figured out I was not a DEA agent they were pretty cooperative. So much for spraying properties for folks that own rentals. I don't advertise that I'm carrying but if the customers does not want me in their house without my gun they can hire someone else. Just like I don't do business with folks with the no guns ghost busters signs on the front door.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Its nice at my office as my boss (Owner of the company as well) is very pro gun and pro freedom in general. We shoot weekly over the lunch hour at a local indoor range during the winter. No problem with carry....................
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

As an small business employer I can sadly understand the need for employee handbooks and the associated stupidity that can come with them. You see, common sense is far from common and good judgement is about as common as a kind hearted IRS auditor. After 20 years I hate to say it but stupidity is all to common! So the corporate reaction tends to deal with the lowest common denominator with a healthy dose of legal paranoia thrown in for CYA.

That said I allow my employees to exercise their 2nd amendment rights as long as they are legal (this means get your permit) and can show me that they are safe with firearm handling. One thing folks forget is a little boo-boo with a firearm on my nickel in my business could cost me my business and everything I own (which ain't much) when the legal smoke clears. That means I gotta know you're trustworthy and don't make me sorry I trusted you!!! We have six of us here in the shop these days and two of us routinely carry. The others are not interested and in two cases that's a good thing 'cause I'd probably say no unless they got a lot more training and a healthy increase in common sense! We have one young man that's on the learning curve and starting to show an interest. Once he gets up to speed on firearms and gets his permit I won't have a problem if he wants to carry.

At my size it's easy to make judgements like this but in a large company they seem to have to cave in to the rampant stupidity and just say "NO". I understand why even if I don't really like it.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    They didn't do anything. Just eyed us. Maybe they figured that they couldn't take 4 of us without suffering some casualties.

They would have been correct.
    Maybe, just maybe these gentleman just liked jeeps?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

What sucks for me is that iam a local truck driver & it doesnt matter what company policy is. Its a state/federal law that one cannot have a gun in a commercial vehicle. But i wont have to deal w/that too long as iam now going through the process to become a corrections officer like my father. He likes it & makes good money too, so sounds like something to try. I know i cant carry all the time @ this job either but @ least they are there if we need them One thing i will say is that if your a deserving law-abbing citizen you should be able to carry in a commercial vehicle. I had drove OTR for almost 4 years with my wife @ my side & some of the places they make u go are very dangerous & i hated not having "Glock" on my side...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links