Question for VA members

This is a discussion on Question for VA members within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When going out to eat at a location where alcoholic beverages are served, what do you do? Leave your weapon in the car, or switch ...

Thread: Question for VA members

VIP Member

Question for VA members

When going out to eat at a location where alcoholic beverages are served, what do you do? Leave your weapon in the car, or switch to open carry? This is a part of the conceal carry law that needs to be changed in VA. Until then, it is unfortunately something we must live with.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    For IWB I do the VA tuck, just tuck my shirt behind my holster, if OWB, I just remove my cover garment.

Right now the only thing you can do is obey the law. Show your gun out in the open like you have to. you can still be discreet.

I agree, the law needs to be changed. I also do the same as JD and matdicdad does...NEVER leave it in a vehicle.

Same here. I usually do the VA Tuck. Never leave it in the car. Big no-no. I know I'm preaching to the choir so to speak, but there's a plethora of reasons not to leave it in your vehicle.
    Last edited by packinnova; November 24th, 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Forgot
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Walk with the gun facing away from people "near a wall and sit with gun facing wall.

You are SO right about the law needing to be changed.

If I'm pocket carrying, I keep a paddle holster in the car so I can quickly convert to open carry. If carrying IWB, it's the VA tuck. My usual meal companions are used to it, so no explanation necessary, but those times when I'm with someone who doesn't know I carry or who I know won't approve of it, it can be uncomfortable. I'll "forget" to take my jacket off until I get to the table, remove the jacket and carry it over my arm to camoflage the gun, or walk at the tail end of the group.

It's a rush to go to dinner with fellow members of the Viginia Citizens Defense League. Nothing like about 25 to 30 people walking into a restaurant, all open carrying. Hey, we're just complying with the law!

That sounds like fun. A VDCL meeting where all carry in the open. Ever have any of those near NN?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    You are SO right about the law needing to be changed.

If I'm pocket carrying, I keep a paddle holster in the car so I can quickly convert to open carry. If carrying IWB, it's the VA tuck. My usual meal companions are used to it, so no explanation necessary, but those times when I'm with someone who doesn't know I carry or who I know won't approve of it, it can be uncomfortable. I'll "forget" to take my jacket off until I get to the table, remove the jacket and carry it over my arm to camoflage the gun, or walk at the tail end of the group.

It's a rush to go to dinner with fellow members of the Viginia Citizens Defense League. Nothing like about 25 to 30 people walking into a restaurant, all open carrying. Hey, we're just complying with the law!
    sounds good

VIP Member
    I don't leave my gun in the car, or anyplace else not fully secured, just wondered how others handled the situation.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post

Interesting you mentioned VCDL,..lol. I'm a member,..I know of an ordeal where a group of VCDL members were eating at this restaurant while OCing, and the police were called.
    One LEO asked the members to then conceal their weapons,...advising them to BREAK the law.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I switch to open carry....either VA tuck with IWB holster or switch to Blackhawk CQC SERPA.

I never leave my weapon in the car.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Cool

I never leave my weapon in the car, if I am in an establishment that serves alcohol...then I just OC. If the establishments does not allow firearms, then I do not patronize that establishment.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    That sounds like fun. A VDCL meeting where all carry in the open. Ever have any of those near NN?
    VCDL membership meetings circulate around the state as Phillip Van Cleave's schedule allows. We had one in Chesapeake in July. Meetings are announced well in advance in VCDL's weekly e-mail alerts. Van Cleave is a great speaker and well worth a drive to hear and be with.

Links