Brainwashed gun supporters

This is a discussion on Brainwashed gun supporters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad lives in Maryland and supports gun ownership. But he thinks Maryland doesn't infringe on the right to bear arms because he thinks he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brainwashed gun supporters

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

My dad lives in Maryland and supports gun ownership. But he thinks Maryland doesn't infringe on the right to bear arms because he thinks he can go get a permit to carry at his discretion down there. I told him he is nuts, and unless you have a letter from God you will not be issued a permit in MD, even if you aren't a criminal. He told me I was wrong and asked how I know that they won't issue a permit, have I ever tried to get one? I asked him to Google it and he refused to look at anything other then legal or state websites that state the laws needed to get a permit like no criminal background etc... but because it is a may issue state it says nothing about denying countless people because they don't have a "valid" reason. How do I get my father who is very conservative and smart to understand that Maryland will not issue him a permit if he tried.

JD
    Administrator
    Suggest that if it's that easy, he should go apply for one.
    Last edited by JD; November 24th, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Correction made...

VIP Member
    Unfortunately there is probably not you can do to change his mind, short of offering to pay for his permit when it is granted to him.

He's not interested in getting one, so thats out of the question, he just thinks he can (or anyone else can) like its a piece of cake, and that the state doesn't deny law abiding citizens the right to carry.

VIP Member
    I see no other answer than for him to apply for one. Why would he ( or you) even argue about it if he's not going to try to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I see no other answer than for him to apply for one. Why would he ( or you) even argue about it if he's not going to try to get one?
    Its just the idea that I know he's conservative, I know he supports guns, I know he's smart... but he thinks Maryland is this wonderful state when it comes to gun ownership and carryin when its not. It been a running debate with him for a while now. How can I explain to him that Maryland won't issue permits, and that it is in fact a very anti-gun state?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Just see what MD State Police have to say!

Go to the MD State Police Licensing Division website and open up the General Licensing Division Application. Starting at the bottom of the first page is a section entitled "Additional Documents Required Per Handgun Permit Category." According to the actual application document one may only apply only by meeting certain criteria for one of the specified categories:
    • business owner (provide proof of cash flow);
    • certain professions, such as doctor, jeweler, or pharmacist (must show "evidence of legitimacy of business activity and valid certification or license");
    • former LEO (provide proof);
    • corrections officer (show documentation of threats and assaults);
    • PI, security guard, &c. (must show "good and substantial reasons"); or
    • personal protection (showing "documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

So, there you have it. As a private citizen, it is insufficient to apply for a license based on "my 2nd amendment rights" or "to provide myself with proper self-defense." You need, by the MDSP's own requirements, notarized witness statements or police reports of specific threats against your life before MD will deign to let you protect yourself.

Can you tell I live in Maryland?

I used to... I'm glad I left

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Why don't you apply for one and show him the paperwork and the process, he might then realize the devil is in the details.

Bet him $500 that he can't get one...couldn't you use the $$$?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Why don't you apply for one and show him the paperwork and the process, he might then realize the devil is in the details.
    Depending on the approach and your relationship, an offer to pay for the permit may be insulting, but giving him an actual application will allow him to evaluate the facts for himself. MD needs all the intelligent RKBA supporters it can get in order to pass "shall issue" laws.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    ... my father who is very conservative and smart ...
    Not so smart, if he takes what the State says on blind faith.

Uncertain whether he's attempted to apply. Uncertain whether you have ever lived there and actually applied, yourself.

Ditto on the idea to simply hand him the packet of paperwork for application to carry. If it means that much to you, having him put his money where his mouth is will show the falacious assumptions where they exist.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Not so smart, if he takes what the State says on blind faith.
    well he does work for the government

All 23,000 plus gun laws are (in my opinion) completly unconstintutional.
    Until we change the law...we pretty much at their mercy
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    ...giving him an actual application will allow him to evaluate the facts for himself.
    I think this is your best avenue of approach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links