Mall Ninja Mod no.42 - Cargo Pants Drop Down

This is a discussion on Mall Ninja Mod no.42 - Cargo Pants Drop Down within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hate carrying IWB looking like the hunch-hip of Notre Dame? I like pocket carry, but been frustrated trying to figure a way to lug my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mall Ninja Mod no.42 - Cargo Pants Drop Down

Mall Ninja Mod no.42 - Cargo Pants Drop Down

Hate carrying IWB looking like the hunch-hip of Notre Dame? I like pocket carry, but been frustrated trying to figure a way to lug my 3" 1911 around that way. Everyone wear cargo pants with their big roomy pockets, but who likes several pounds of gun/ammo flopping around like 90-yr old 40DD's?

Answer? My semi-completed drop-down thigh holster for pocket carry! Douglas Adams fans will understand the mod no. referenced above!

First, get a cool 3" 45, or any decent caliber weapon too big for normal pocket carry. Then get a DeSantis Nemesis (or Super Fly shown here).

Then go to Blackhawk and order some holster straps. These are really cool with sewn in velcro and rubberized stripes to hold it in place. Only like $10 and I was going to rig something myself! These are PERFECT.

Try on the straps and adjust to length. Cut off just enough webbing to sew onto the back of your holster. Remember to singe the ends of the nylon! Don't try to sew through the side of the Nemesis. That stuff is tough whatever it is! I sewed to the nylon edging sewn to the holster. Much easier when doing this by hand. You might try some good glue as well if you want. Wasn't sure it would stick. Another option instead of sewing would be to try and glue or sew velcro to match the strap's velcro. Wasn't sure this would hold as securely (and was worrying about the glue sticking. May try shoe goo next time.

Thread the strap onto the holster and admire your work! Now I have to mod the cargo pants pocket. Plan is to cut two vertical slits wide enough for the webbing. These would need to be trimmed with something or use fabric "sizing" to keep the threads from unraveling. Then simply thread the webbing through the pant slits, through the holster, and secure to your leg on the inside!

2. Remove Ads

Brilliant! I love it when guys improve on their own gear. Looks like a nice, secure way to attach the gun to your thigh.

So, a thigh holster accessible through the front trouser pocket; excellent. You gonna make the same mod to your dress pants?

Why not just buy a thigh holster?

Administrator
    Hmmm, great idea and execution, but is it comfortable?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't think the dress pants would be big enough to hold this gun! Would work I guess with the right pocket. I guess a real drop-down holster might work, but I figured a holster made for a pocket would be a good start. The strap is very comfortable, but I haven't worn it for any length of time yet. Still need to do the pants mod!

Administrator
    I'm afraid that it would rub and chaf your leg without some sort of padding. Maybe take a hint from ankle holsters?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I guess if it does, I can always put a soft sleeve around it or something, maybe off an old shirt or something.

Administrator
    The best ankle holster I have has a sheep skin pad... sounds goofy but it works really well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Drop leg straps are typically a bit uncomfortable , even with a pair of pants under em. Someone does make a cargo pant that has a velcro covered pocket similar to what you are planning.

Here is 1 company
    http://www.handgunholsters.net/
    I have seen Harvest brand pants in the NRA catalog I think. Sorry cannot find the product though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That basically is the same! They talk about cutting the slits in the pockets yourself too. Theirs is a full drop down with a belt loop as well. Their video though kind of showed the pants "scrunching" up a bit, which I attribute to the belt loop. Might be adjusted too tight?

I see mine draping more naturally with the leg strap only, essentially just keeping the gun from bouncing laterally from the leg. I'd keep the strap on the loose side so the whole thing can slide up/down the leg while moving/sitting. Have to do some real world tests and report back!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i would worry about it falling off and coming down your leg to the ankle...because as you walk your thigh will contract and relax getting bigger and smaller, eventually this rig might end up at your ankle with a thud...
    I really like the idea...but I am guessing it needs a slight mod to anchor to your belt somehow.
    Please keep us updated.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Your first comment about looking like the "hunch hip of Notre Dame", I don't quite understand. You must have some pretty bad IWB holsters if this is your experience. I love IWB and hate pocket carry. To each their own by all means. Can you explain why IWB makes you feel so uncomfortable. Just curious.
    Hope your venture works out. I always like seeing the inovations people come up with to make their carry more suitable.

I your ingenuity!
    That would be too uncomfortable for me... my Kimber Ultra always rides IWB...no hump(?)...very comfortable...very concealed!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I second the idea for a strap that hangs from the belt. All the thigh straps that I've ever seen had a strap hanging from the belt to keep it in place. A brisk run will move it otherwise. Since you want to let it hang loose for comfort, its really essential to have the belt strap.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    i would worry about it falling off and coming down your leg to the ankle...because as you walk your thigh will contract and relax getting bigger and smaller, eventually this rig might end up at your ankle with a thud...
    I really like the idea...but I am guessing it needs a slight mod to anchor to your belt somehow.
    Please keep us updated.
    Remember, the whole holster is placed INSIDE a cargo pocket, which is on the outside of the pants. Only the strap threads through the hole in the pants and around the leg. Need to finish the pants mod and show more pics I guess!

The strap can come off completely, fall to the ground, and nothing will happen (except the pocket will flop around like it does with my wallet!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links