Leather holsters, lead content and babies

This is a discussion on Leather holsters, lead content and babies within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently received my K&D Eagle defender holster. The OWB is just too comfortable to not wear. So I went to the range today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather holsters, lead content and babies

Leather holsters, lead content and babies

I just recently received my K&D Eagle defender holster. The OWB is just too comfortable to not wear.

So I went to the range today and did some draw and shoot practice using my K&D and my glock 19. I have a 6-month old baby at home. When I come home, I take off my clothes and hop right into the shower. Then dress and re-arm (after a quick wipe off / clean of the kydex holster). Now that I have the leather holster, I am unsure of what I should do with regards to cleaning / etc. ... to remove the lead that accumulated in the holster.

Thoughts? Kevin or any other holster maker? Pax?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    to remove the lead that accumulated in the holster
    Not sure I am entirely with you

Congrats tho on the Eagle Defender - my EDC for three years nearly now - love it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

lead residue from shooting the firearm. I guess that the lead particulates would get transferred from gun to holster. Then to baby if I do not clean up correctly.

The Eagle Defender is awesome. OWB all the way for me in the cooler months.

Assistant Administrator
    I in all honesty cannot see any significant lead issue here - the outside of the gun will perhaps have some minor residue from burned powers and maybe too a trace - absolute trace - of lead from lead styphnate primers.

I can't tho see this as in any way a hazard. Lead needs ingested or breathed as vapor/particulates to be a problem. Just go on enjoying that nice rig!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i realize kevin's holsters are tough but please don't let the kid teethe on it . LOL
    just kidding

if you would run a wiping rag in it, then on the pistol it should be fine . as to the amount of lead being brought into the house i think it would be rather minimal .

congrats on the kid and K&D keep safe

elance

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    He's concerned about this...
    -------------------------------------------
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...62/ai_14507485

Firearms and Exposure to Lead

The exposure to lead on the firing line occurs as soon as the shooter pulls the trigger and the hammer falls. This action causes the primer of the cartridge in the chamber to explode, which ignites the main powder charge. At this point, a breathable cloud of lead particles is expelled into the air, with lead dust spraying the shooter's hands.

Lead particles also shear off as the bullet travels through the barrel. When the bullet leaves the barrel, a second cloud of contaminants, in the form of the muzzle blast, bursts into the air. Then, as the bullet strikes the impact area, another contaminated cloud rises.

When shooters inhale these clouds of contaminants, lead particles go directly into their lungs and are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. The blood then transfers the lead to soft body tissue and bone. Heat from smoking, sweating, or physical activity accelerates this process.

Lead can also settle on the skin and hair, and in turn, be absorbed through the pores of the skin. If lead particles reach the mouth, they can be ingested into the digestive system.

Exposure increases at cleanup time, because handling empty casings can result in lead being transferred to the skin. The cleaning process also removes much of the remaining lead in the barrel and transfers it to the cleaner's hands. Oils and solvents used to clean and lubricate weapons cause the natural oils in the skin to evaporate, leaving dry skin and open pores through which the lead can pass.
    --------------------------------------------

Obviously we are speaking about minute quantities of lead , but everytime you fire a gun (with the exception of LeadFree Ammunition ) there is exposure.

You DO take this exposure home with you , so your family can be exposed also.
    Infants and small children are of course more at risk than adults.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

+1

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I in all honesty cannot see any significant lead issue here - the outside of the gun will perhaps have some minor residue from burned powers and maybe too a trace - absolute trace - of lead from lead styphnate primers.

I can't tho see this as in any way a hazard. Lead needs ingested or breathed as vapor/particulates to be a problem. Just go on enjoying that nice rig!
    I agree with Chris. It is something you need not worry about if you ask me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If your that worried about it switch to winchester winclean ammunition... I believe they have reduced lead in the primers, and the bullets are fully jacketed to reduce lead vapors from there.

Administrator
    Ditto:
    "Lead needs ingested or breathed as vapor/particulates to be a problem."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Wash your shooting clothes by themselves and don't mix them with the babies. Wash your hands, exposed skin and face as the baby will touch everything.

Keep your shooting bag away from the kid. If you reload, be aware that the tumblers can be a source of the lead posioning. Your holster will be a minor possibilty and you could buy 2, keep one for the range and one for the house.

When I was on Speer's website the other day they had a form of "clean" range ammo. Sounds like you are being proactive about things, maybe that would be part of the solution.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am just "anal" about trying to protect my boy from any harm.

Hey "sojourner" iam a new dad (8 months now) & my wife & i are the same way about being worried about what settles on your clothes & your person after the range. No matter what anyone says if u read enough on it, it can be an issue & i think its just good parenting to protect your children from whatever u can...........

Yeah,I see your concerns w/ regard to your kids.I feel as adults we take our chances and make our choices when it comes to our own health,but a baby is pretty much helpless.I shoot at an indoor idpa league and we use lead free ammo.One of our guys tested high a few years ago.There's a fine line between concern and paranoia,but I'd err on the side of caution when it comes to the kids.
    Wash w/ soap and COLD water to get rid of lead.keep the holster up high and away from kids.
    as an aside ,the thing that drives me nuts is, I'll clean my gun after shooting,and it's all nice and shiney..then I reholster,and it gets dirty again......
    BTW you can get pretty cheap reloaded lead free ammo through
    www.precisioncartridge.com
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I would suggest you change cloths and wash hands and put the gun and holster away until thuroughly cleaned. If safety is a concern while at home, get the worlds best home defense system out and loaded (aka: shotgun).....
    Sailor
    USN
    PM Doric 342
    www.grandrogueencampment.com

"Heres to you and heres to me, and in case we ever disagree, the h___ with you, heres to me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links