concealed carry speech

This is a discussion on concealed carry speech within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thats cool I'm just having trouble thinking of main points for it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: concealed carry speech

thats cool I'm just having trouble thinking of main points for it.

2. Remove Ads

Who is the audience? Is this a debate, or merely a speech? Is there a stated thesis or premise, or is it simply to persuade people to see the justifiability or benefits of concealed carry?

Some of the strongest points that can be discussed are, I feel:
    • The idea that gun control primarily disarms law-abiding, upstanding citizens. Consider situations of home invasion, of riots or civil breakdown, of natural disasters, and the degree to which citizens are disarmed by restrictive policies, laws that presume guilt and place the burden of proof on the victims.
    • The idea that criminals are, by definition, disposed to ignore laws and policies. Thus, it shouldn't be a surprise that so many ignore laws relating to the use of weapons against the innocent during commission of crimes.
    • The idea that the last, ultimate defense against wayward abuse of power by elected officials is an armed citizenry, hence the Constitutional acknowledgment of the right of every person to be armed. There is a lot of material on this subject, including the writings of a dozen people involved with the U.S. Congress and ratification of the Constitution.

To my way of thinking, the extent to which you can calmly, dispassionately and effectively cover these questions, you'll have a strong presentation. Whether you ultimately change anyone's deep-seated biases and prejudices is another question entirely, as it's emotional to the point of closing the eyes of many (most?) folks who even hear such things proposed. Keep that in mind with any proposition you make, logic you follow, facts you employ.

Check out the writings by Gary Kleck. Look for the writings of the Founding Fathers of the U.S. system of government, including the ratification discussions by the states regarding the Constitution.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 25th, 2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    There are a couple of threads around here that have addressed this issue. You could search for them. I know they have been within the past 4 months. I think one guy was looking for a research paper and another was going to meet with a campus administrator.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Remember that objections tend to be emotional rather than fact-based. "If people carry guns, they'll get angry and shoot without reasons." "The gun might 'go off' all by itself in a crowded place." "If someone carries a gun, it will incite others to violence; but if you go unarmed, it will draw others toward peacefulness." The reply to emotional objections is to show that "facts prove otherwise."

Here are some suggestions for main points: (1) Those who carry a gun are dependable (describe the process of getting the permit) (2) Those who carry a gun are valuable (everyone is safer) (3) Those who carry a gun become better persons because they are continually moved to be more responsible, thoughtful, safety-minded, aware, etc. Conclusion: consider joining this community of conscientious, law-abiding citizens. Do the research and start the process immediately.

Great books have been written along these lines (the greatest being by Jeff Cooper, probably). Read all you can.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

I might also recommend practicing the speech with a friend and/or family member who is not familiar with the topic so as to get feedback similar to your target audience. Best of luck!
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by goldhunter View Post
    yea it's a persuasive speech
    Persuasive? Take your sidearm...

Didn't Al Capone once say something about a "...Kind word and a gun"?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One thing I would like people to know is that those of us with a CCW are not out there looking for trouble. On the contraty, I work harder to avoid conflict now that I am carrying than I did when I was unarmed. And I think most of the members of this forum think the same way.

The Gun Owners of America have a website that has a lot of useful facts with the sources documented. Their website is gunowners.org. Good luck. Let us know how the speech went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links