Michigan Church Carry - Page 2

Michigan Church Carry

This is a discussion on Michigan Church Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was unaware of any statutory exception to a minister allowing CCW in a church in MI. Do you have a link to such statute ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Church Carry

I was unaware of any statutory exception to a minister allowing CCW in a church in MI. Do you have a link to such statute or case law?

I would just tell him that I don't plan to be the victim of a violent crime or to allow my companions to be a victim either.

G&G
    In the book of Esther, the decree was issued by the king that the Jewish people would be allowed to DEFEND themselves from execution.

Ask him that if a Virginia Tech senario happened during a service, would he prefer that 911 be called and wait for the police to arrive or that someone would be pro active and attempt to stop the slaughter before it escalates?
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

God gave us his children to raise and care for until the time to come home. Part of that is protecting those unable, unwilling or neglecting to do so. In other words, there should be a sheepdog amoung the sheep.

What is your pastor's take on Luke 22.36? At the last supper, Jesus commanded his disciples to be armed. It was a command, not a suggestion. He told them to take a sword with them, and if they didn't have one, to sell their cloak and buy a sword. A sword was the self-defense item of the day... in modern terms, IMO, Jesus would have said get a gun, and if you don't have one, sell your coat and buy one. Pretty strong words for me, especially as winter is coming on.

Is your pastor going to follow all the commands of Jesus, or only certain chosen ones? How convenient it would be for me if I get to pick and choose which commands to follow...

If your pastor has mentally sidestepped the passage in Luke, he may have bought into the whole "Jesus was a pacifist" theory. If he thinks Christians are immune to random acts of violence... Christians were slaughtered like animals at Columbine and Virginia Tech, as well as several church shootings.

I agree with asking him what his plans are for an armed intruder in the building. If your pastor doesn't agree with you carrying, then you have a choice to make: trust in the goodness of the BG's to not shoot up a church, change churches, or carry concealed.

As for me and my house, we are not going to be depending on the inherent goodness of BG's... not now, and not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I was unaware of any statutory exception to a minister allowing CCW in a church in MI. Do you have a link to such statute or case law?
    It is indeed in the "Blue Book" you get when you apply for your license. Here is just a clip:
    Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons
    Again, the "Presiding Official" MAY NOT BE THE PASTOR. Many, if not most churches have a board of governers and the pastor is just an employee.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

1. You have to transit 'Indian Country" to and from church and any additional stops you choose to make.
    2. Leaving a gun in your car is an invitation for disaster. One of the prime places for auto burglary is in church parking lots during services.
    3. It is your 2nd Amendment RIGHT.
    4. You want to.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I've only heard of one church downstate that welcomes CCW.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Pretty sure that when the SHTF in a church, the BG is probably gonna go for the pastor first....something you oughta mention to the man...The official in charge is usually the one who finds himself in the most danger.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    +1 Can't think of a better response.
    +2...News articles are a good start.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Just a couple of cents worth from a guy who always carries in church. There are 8 or 10 men in our church that are always armed with the pastor's full and greatful consent. On more than one occasion, the pastor and some church members have been threatened because of our position on important moral issues. In light of that and the fact that churches are being threatened more and more regularly it is considered to be prudent to have those who have ccw permits to be at the ready in the horrible event that someone comes to carry out one of their threats. As soon as he can, the pastor will be getting his own ccw. I'd like to see posts from others who also regularly carry at church.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    It is indeed in the "Blue Book" you get when you apply for your license. Here is just a clip:

Again, the "Presiding Official" MAY NOT BE THE PASTOR. Many, if not most churches have a board of governers and the pastor is just an employee.
    Was not aware of that. I am a godless heathen so it doesn't apply to me but was just interesting as I was unaware of an official exception. Thanks for the info.

In Florida we don’t have such a silly rule, so I’ve never told the staff that I come to church armed. However, one day I was on visitation with the senior pastor, when out of no ware a bit bull dog charged us. I pulled the pastor behind me (small guy) and stood in front of him with my right hand in my back pocket. After a few minutes the dog walked off, and all was well.

A few days later one of the associate pastors stopped me in the hall, and asked me about the incident. Stating “The Pastor was glad you where there”, but he wondered what was in your pocket”. I explained that in one back pocket was a small New testament Bible, and in the other was a small pistol. And the dog did not seem too interested in the Bible.

Luke 22 (New International Version)
    36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Hey, Grandpa,

Some other 'vital' questions to be prepared for:

1. Do you tithe?
    2. How often do you take the pastor out to lunch?
    3. Have you considered spearheading the Christmas love offering?

Just kidding, of course.

In 31 years of ministry, I have never had anyone talk with me about carrying at church. On the other hand, I haven't brought it up either, until recently.

The couple of people who I have had conversations with about the topic were pretty open to the idea.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Are you permitted in MI to lock the gun in your car in the parking lot? If yes tell him you carry everywhere for your protection and don't want to have to leave it locked in the car. I would also explain the training and background checks you had to go through to show you are a responsible gun owner.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links