how to leave it in your car

This is a discussion on how to leave it in your car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok, i finally have a car to drive around so now i need to think about this. if i must leave my gun in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to leave it in your car

ok, i finally have a car to drive around so now i need to think about this.
    if i must leave my gun in my car, in michigan, what is legal to do?
    i know if i dont have a CPL in mich, the gun needs to be unloaded, ammo separate, in trunk (or back of SUV).
    what about if i do have a CPL and need to run into a store or somewhere where i cant carry. what can i legally do? what should i do?
    (make sure u specify which of these two questions you are answering)
    for example:
    put somewhere out of sight and lock car
    put in minisafe under seat
    unload and put in minisafe under seat
    store as if non CPL holder

unfortunately most of the time i cant carry I am at school. luckily my university does allow me to store a gun unloaded locked in my trunk (i have an SUV, so im going to ask them if a mini gunsafe under my seat or in back is ok) .
    if they say the safe has to be in the back of my SUV- not right under my seat... how in the world do i manage to do that without everyone seeing? unloading and sticking under seat is bad enough!

and one last thing- please no comments on whether or not i SHOULD carry into the places where im not suppose to. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i know if i dont have a CPL in mich, the gun needs to be unloaded, ammo separate, in trunk (or back of SUV).
    what about if i do have a CPL and need to run into a store or somewhere where i cant carry. what can i legally do? what should i do?
    for example:

unfortunately most of the time i cant carry I am at school. luckily my university does allow me to store a gun unloaded locked in my trunk (i have an SUV, so im going to ask them if a mini gunsafe under my seat or in back is ok) .
    if they say the safe has to be in the back of my SUV- not right under my seat... how in the world do i manage to do that without everyone seeing? unloading and sticking under seat is bad enough!

and one last thing- please no comments on whether or not i SHOULD carry into the places where im not suppose to. thanks
    Congrats on the car. Now the only way your questions really matter is if you have your CPL. If youo don't have it you can't carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. I would not ask your university about where the safe in your SUV must be located. Go to your locale county clerks office and pick up a copy of the Michigan Firearms Laws it should answer all of your questions.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

i have my cpl.
    and i do have to ask the university for when i have my car parked on campus, i must follow there rules. legally i can carry in campus, but if i were to do so i would be expelled. i want to follow the rules, so i need to ask them what they are.
    i have read through michigan firearms laws and cant seem to figure out how i may store my gun in my car if i have my cpl.

If you have your CPL, you can store it loaded in your car. Your University may have rules that DO NOT allow you to have a loaded gun in your car on scool property. Find that out and you will have your answer on that one. Pretty simple, if they don;t allow it (the probable outcome), you can't carry to or from school. My work is like this, so M-F I'm disarmed during normal business hours.

As for anywhere else, like stores or shops that make you dis-arm, you can leave it in your car loaded (if you have a CPL). Do get one of those car safes though, its another line of defense against losing your gun or having it stolen from your car. The Center Mass safe is nice, and it has a cable you can wrap around your seat track.

ok thats what i thought.
    im hopefully getting a car safe for xmas

VIP Member
    I keep a "center of mass" safe in both my vehicles. It's nice not to have to switch the safe from car to car.

Nothing illegal about putting in your glove-box and leaving your convertable top down, but it'd be idiotic. I have left mine in the glove box with the car locked up, but I usually put it in a little under-the-seat safe that cost about $20.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Perhaps you need to read through the michigan cpl laws again. Its not hard to find what you were looking for.

Your cpl allows you to store the gun in your car legally in areas that are "gun free zones".The Mich. statutes trump local "rules".How you choose to store it is up to you. I stow mine loaded and hidden in a place known only to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Perhaps you need to read through the michigan cpl laws again. Its not hard to find what you were looking for.
    Would you never ask someone else a question they may know the answer to (off the top of their head), just because you could find the answer with somewhere between one minute and 4 hour of research? That's why we're here, to share info.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Are you willing to tell us which university you attend? Maybe we can help you out a little more.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    for example:

There are gun safes made specifically for cars. You can bolt the to the floor, the transmission hump, wherever. Since an SUV doesn't have a trunk you'll have to be more creative.

got an email back from the univ.
    has to be 'in trunk' (thus in back of SUV) not under driver seat.
    bah, oh well

The univ cannot tell you where the gun has to be contrary to the cpl statute.You are also asking for trouble by talking with the univ at all about your weapon.Take the "kick me" sign off your back.

I'd try a Center of Mass safe...well-hidden in your SUV. I believe that the rear seat bottom flips up and the back then goes down for extended space...under the seat bottom give you a 'very out of the way' place to secure/conceal a small COM safe.

Good Luck!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links