Hanging My Head In Shame

This is a discussion on Hanging My Head In Shame within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Arrgh. It finally happened. Accidental Discharge. Nobody hurt. No thing hurt. I'm terribly embarrassed, and super thankful that nobody but the dogs had to witness ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hanging My Head In Shame

Hanging My Head In Shame

Arrgh. It finally happened. Accidental Discharge. Nobody hurt. No thing hurt. I'm terribly embarrassed, and super thankful that nobody but the dogs had to witness it. I'll be specific so nobody else makes the mistake I did...

Sundays are for deep cleaning the guns I shoot most. Some days, there are more than five to disassemble and give the good ol' Mister Clean job (I even roll up the sleeves on my gun cleaning t-shirt and give the head an extra close shave ahead of time...ha!).

Anyway, after a busy week of shooting with some potential clients and their buddies, I had lots to accomplish in a short period of time. In addition to a Rem. 870, a Mossy 835 and a Winchy 1200, I also had an AR15 and an AR10 to clean, plus two 1911's, a P220, and a Mark II.

Lots, like I said, but fun and soothing at the same time. The garage is heated, and the wife was out treating foals, so I didn't have much to do besides watch the Kentucky Wildcats give away a game in four overtimes and clean my guns.

All went smoothly. All guns were clean except the second 1911, which I unholstered and set down on the bench. I had carried it home from the range early that morning OWB, and had simply left it on all day. It had a full magazine o' 230-grain FMJ White Box (my ol' standby at the range) w/ one chambered, which I inteded to take out and replace w/ something more useful at home before it went back in the nightstand drawer later.

Just then, the phone rang. The next twenty minutes were spent ranting and raving with a friend on the phone about how my Buckeyes are about to backpedal their way into a National Championship game. Then I realized that I had dogs to feed, laundry to get rolling and some email to finish up. Basically, two hours passed before I returned to my workbench to clean the 1911 and tidy up for the night. Time to get bustin'...

I got my butt in the chair and reached for the gun, which was lying facing the outside wall of our house (thick, solid brick). I swear to goodness, I cleared the round when I removed the mag before I set her down. I further swear upon all that is good that my hand cleared the outside of the trigger guard when I reached for it. I also swear on a stack of bibles that a .45 discharging in a two-car garage is louder than all hell.

The ringing almost kept me from reacting. I was stunned! I had just accidentally fired my own stupid weapon in my own stupid garage!! Was my stupid body bleeding anywhere? Was anyone else? I followed the aim to a dime sized hole in the inner paneling of the garage. Horrified, I jumped up, stabbed at the button that opens the garage door and ran outsided to assess what the consequences of being a complete fool were going to be. No neighbors were outside. No noise (that I could discern over the ringing in my ears). I trotted to the side of the garage where I estimated the bullet may have exited. Nothing. After scanning the neighbor's wall, I ran back into the garage, grabbing a crobar from the Jeep on the way.

I popped the panelling off easily, and a few smallish chunks of brick plopped to my feet. The damage to three bricks showed where the round had impacted, but it took me a while to find any fragments. I'll post pics of both later today. No exit hole, so I think I'm safe to say that there wasn't much damage.

I'm doubting myself now, though. I didn't carry to work today for the first time in three years. I just keep going over in my head how horrible it could have been, how closely every life depends on EVERY gun owner's attention to detail. I'd feel so bad if I hurt my dogs or cats...or someone else's. I'd never be able to live with myself if I accidentally hurt a person. WHAT IF A KID HAD BEEN PLAYING ON THE OTHER SIDE ON MY WALL???!!!!

I'll come around, but I'm feeling less confident about myself today (only a few hours later). To be sure, this was a wake up call. I will send away for a SafeDirection bag/pad this afternoon, and will NEVER unchamber or unload or even handle in my home unless I'm directing the barrell into it. I won't ever get in a hurry or allow myself to get distracted mid-cleaning again.

It will be hard, at first, to accept that I am fallible. It will be easy to remember that I am not.
    Last edited by Scot Van; November 26th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Don't feel to bad,

My First ND was letting the hammer down on a Highpower and it slipped "Kapow" through the door frame, across the hall and into the dryer.

I was being stupid and should have unloaded the gun. I'm just glad i wasn't married and lived by my self then.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Well it just goes to show you that no matter how expereienced you are that it can happen to you.

Glad no one was hurt in the incident.

This is why I rack the slide three times prior to doing anything with the gun, if it starts raining bullets I know I forgot somehthing.

Lead Moderator
    Good post and good reminder to the rest of us. Thanks for the safety reminder. Glad no one was injured.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Another good reminder - any time folks post about ND's it should be a wake-up call for all who read it. It does happen - even tho we all know it shouldn't.

A Sand bucket or similar is probably the ultimate fail-safe because that not only will stop the bullet but is total rule #2 ... red face with egg on it does not thank goodness equal damage to living things.

I swear to goodness, I cleared the round when I removed the mag before I set her down.
    Only answer to that element is the double/triple check .... or even more. Thanks tho for ''coming clean'' - it is a valuable lesson and not just to you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Once or twice I've caught myself on the double and triple check---that round I thought I cleared was still there. Good reminder that we need to be vigilant with our safety.

Great post indeed.
    Thank you.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

As I'm told Marines are taught, don't just look; with the slide racked back feel both front and back with your finger.

VIP Member
    It takes a certain amount of courage to admit to doing something like this. We all learn from it and it's a wake up call to us all. Thank you for posting.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO there are two classes of gunowners , We who have had a ND and you who have not yet . While some of you smugly say i have handled guns for XX no of years with no problems , it would behoove you to remember that ours has happened , and due to our adherence to the 4 rules no headlines , no damage that is not monitory , just an experiance that woke us up to even greater safety . I sincerely hope yours goes as well .

Scott , Take that embarrassment and hold it close , from time to time take it out and re feel it . It will help keep this from happening again . I say this from experience , as i say put your dammed pistol on again and wear it knowing you will be safer than ever, you will not likely take anything for granted when it comes to the state of a firearm you will KNOW .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Common theme w/ AD's: People get up to go do somthing else for a little bit of time and then come back.

Glad you are okay, stay armed!!!!!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

One of my cleaning or dry-firing rituals is that there will be no compatible ammo in the same room. I clear my guns in another room, carry them with open actions to where I will clean them.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    it seems to be the common theme that AD's/ND's happen when people lose focus on the gun for somtime, in your case a phone call/some unfinished chorse and then later come back.
    My feeling is that distractions should not matter.
    When you come back to the gun, regardless of how distracting the phone call was, the way you treat the gun should not be any different from how you did before you got the call.

What is it about a phone call that says, "Come back to the gun, and now it's ok to put your finger on the trigger"?

I will NOT pull the trigger on a gun (dry firing) unless that gun has gone from "action-open, mag out, nothing in chamber" to "action closed on empty chamber" while it is in my hand. That means that if I went through that process, and then put the gun down and left it, I'm doing that process again (all the more necessary if I have left sight of the gun!) before I'll dry-fire it.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO there are two classes of gunowners , We who have had a ND and you who have not yet . While some of you smugly say i have handled guns for XX no of years with no problems , it would behoove you to remember that ours has happened , and due to our adherence to the 4 rules no headlines , no damage that is not monitory , just an experiance that woke us up to even greater safety . I sincerely hope yours goes as well .
    Correction: Adherence to the 4 Rules actually results in NOT having an ND. One of the rules (at least) has to be broken to have a "no headline, no monetary damage" accident.

I offer that the whole "remember that ours has happened" thing is not working. I doubt that anyone here who ever had an ND did not know of someone who had had one before his own, or that anyone here does not understand the gravity of firing a gun unintentionally in an ND. And yet, we still have to be "taught" to be "safer" by suffering one?

I would say that if remembering other people's bad experiences was enough to get the teaching done, we wouldn't have a third of the poll respondents admitting to having ND'd.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    peacefuljeffrey Thanks for the wonderful illustration of my post . When you have your ND i hope all goes as well for you as this one has . I will say no more to tweak you sir , as i do respect you and take no joy in the " i told you so " mindset .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links