Shooters, who don't or won't carry

This is a discussion on Shooters, who don't or won't carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had someone ask me not too long ago why I choose to carry a gun.My response was simple,I'm making the choice to never be ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooters, who don't or won't carry

DM
    I had someone ask me not too long ago why I choose to carry a gun.My response was simple,I'm making the choice to never be a willing victom of a violent crime.Sure ,I haven't had a need for it in all the years I've been alive,but that doesn't mean I won't have a need for it in the future.I do believe that it comes down to making that choice. If presented with the threat of a violent crime you will be either a willing victom or an unwilling victom. I choose to be the latter.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I didnt realy feel the "need" to carry a gun until several years ago when I became a part time deputy sheriff and actually got to deal with the bottom segment of society that I never knew existed.

I was very fortunate in the aspect that all of my life I was raised in good neighborhoods with good schools and I was never really subjected to any form of poverty or never even knew anyone that was. The only exposure to the "law" that I ever had was when a cop would come to school to give a presentation on drugs or something of that sort. I had a friend whos uncle was a city cop and I always thought it was cool for him to carry a gun and have a fast car. The only crime we ever came into contact with was from reading the local paper or watching the 6 o'clock news and hearing about it.

I eventually joined the Navy and was exposed to all kinds of things. I got to visit 17 different countries and experience real poverty in all forms...not the welfare induced laziness that we see here in the states, where even they would be considered rich in many countries.

After dealing with murderers, rapists,child abusers, and every other sort of scumsucking bottom dweller that preys upon society, I came to realize that there are people out there with NO respect for anything, themselves included. There are people that will kill you and think nothing of it. There are people out there that stay so hyped up on drugs that they may not even remember killing you. There are those that will rob,rape and kill you and leave your bloody carcass laying in the street and laugh about it when telling their friends.

I've got to where I never leave the house without my gun. I've arrested enough people that in this smallish town, its just a matter of time till I have a serious runnin with someone that feels like I did him/her wrong by arresting them and putting them in jail.

Now that I know what society has to offer, I will never again be unarmed. With the recent activities in terrorism around the world, the biggest unanswered question a terroirst can have is who might shoot them if they decide to stike a blow against America for allah... so it only makes sense for those that can to be armed at all times.

As for the criminal element, the only thing they fear is dying. They dont fear the cops, the dont fear the law and to them prison time means 3 square meals and a roof over their heads with free medical attention. Ive had more than one crook in jail tell me that they eat better and live better in jail than they do out on the street.

With that being said...only a fool that knows how hard the world can be would choose to be unarmed. There are many good folks that live in ignorance of the world around them and have no reason to even think that things could change in the blink of an eye.For them, it would take a life threatening event to "wake" up.

As for me...I choose to have the means to defend myself, my loved ones or even those around me is some proffesional thug decides to get stupid on me.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I've been there HotGuns. I hadn't been on the job that long when I ran into a guy I arrested out in public. He had plead guilty that very day to a DUI charge (my first arrest out of training). He was actually going to fight the charge in court, but he showed up to court wearing his Miller Light shirt (he was a delivery driver for them). Yup, a Miller Light shirt to a DUI trial. His lawyer took one look at that and convinced him to plead out. His conviction cost him his job.

Anyway, that night I took my wife out to dinner. Guess who was sitting at the next table. Thankfully nothing happened, but it was an eye opener for me.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    HG - great post - most enlightening and I am with you all the way
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good thread PT95 and you and the rest are right on the money with your comments and description of our fellow citizens who should know better, but for whatever reason have decided not to carry. To them and anyone else just remember this"you won't get the chance to pick the time and place where you may become a victim or sheep-dog". Most of us are hard working,honest,law-abiding citizen who are fortunate to live in "good neighborhoods" or in peaceful country settings.What we must always remember, is to be vigiliant,careful,watchful because the BG out there may not be able to do reading,writing and arthmetic but their survival skills are way up there and they know the difference between....I don't have that, but those folks[over in that nice neighborhood]they have it and i want it[regardless if the victims they have picked out have it or not] .Just my .02 worth.

To carry or not to carry

Even many people that have CC permits don't always carry and I have to admit I'm one of them. If I'm taking my kids to swimming lessons at the pool or go with them to the library, I don't have a weapon on me. I don't usually carry a gun on me if I run down to the local Super Wally World on a Sunday afternoon or go with my wife to watch the kids sing in the church choir on Sunday. I DO always have my gun in the car and available for use if I feel I should need it. If and when to carry a gun is a personal choice and we all have to decide what is best for us. While I may not agree with another's decision whether to carry or not - and/or when to carry if they decide to do so - I won't condemn or belittle them for their decision.

Many people are "as necessary" carriers of their weapons. If we feel the need is not there or there are other considerations to consider (is it practical and/or good judgment to carry a gun, concealed or not to your kids band practice?), we don't. On the other hand, there are also those who carry EVERYWHERE, even in their own homes. Personally, if I felt that I had to have a gun on me in my own home to be safe, I'd find a way to move if at all possible. However, I know some people don't have that option and I truly feel sorry for them. If a man or woman is so afraid or insecure in their own home they feel the need to have a weapon within arms reach 24 hours a day, that's a sad way to live.
    Last edited by rachilders; July 18th, 2005 at 02:17 AM. Reason: correct error

DC Founder
    My experience is similar to Hotguns. When I was a reserve officer I got to see the part of society that lurks in the shadows much of the time. If you have never been a LEO, full time or reserve, or some other position that lets you see what walks amongst us, I would recommend that you go do a "ride along" with your local police on a Friday or Saturday night.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

If a man or woman is so afraid or insecure in their own home they feel the need to have a weapon within arms reach 24 hours a day, that's a sad way to live.
    It's not so much insecure in my home per se - never has been. It's the realization that nobody is ever really safe anywhere. I'm happy to have good tools at my disposal wherever I go, but then again, at my core I'm just a tool using monkey.

It doesn't take long to transition from "I'm happily watching TV" to reacting to a threat, and I'd rather not have to deal with worrying about where my towel, car keys, and handguns are in that transition.

Then again, I'm one of the people that seems to think assault rifles are appropriate home decor. :)

OD*
    I really wish I was one of those fortunate people who knew when something bad was going to happen, ie: when to carry a gun. I'll tell you the people I feel sad for, those who believe only bad things happen in bad neighborhoods.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Assistant Administrator
    Personally, if I felt that I had to have a gun on me in my own home to be safe, I'd find a way to move if at all possible
    rachilders - doubt I have yet been able to say ''welcome''

I might seem odd to many as I carry 16/7 - and yet my risk quotient is all but minimal, in house or out in office. Why? folks might ask. For me it is total dedication added to which - a gun 10 seconds away ''somewhere in house or car'' is not reachable compared with on the person.

That is my prime thinking. No paranoia - I have no need to move because of risk. Pure and simple the piece is there. That means should it ever be necessary to reach for it it WILL: be there - no ''oh crap, I left it off''!!

Everyone obviously has to define what regimen works for them and altho I push for total commitment - it is not for me to decide others what to do - of course. I write often on this matter because I am a firm believer - I regard the wrist watch and spare tire aspect as valid. Meaning - why leave the tire at home today because you somehow ''know'' you won't have a flat. Why leave off wristwatch because somehow it seems like a day you won't want to tell the time!

I agree home should be our most secure and safe place but - again I come back to wanting to know the piece is there, always - which means if I dash out for a jug of milk I do not have to think about ''putting it on'' - it's there, and I accept the mild discomfort of having it thus.

I do stress, I cannot see this as paranoia - simply a choice in the ''all or nothing'' department. For me it is ''all''
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp

Then again, I'm one of the people that seems to think assault rifles are appropriate home decor. :)

Somehow, I can't see Martha Stewart approving

:rock: :rock: :rock:
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

This is one of those issues that everyone has an opinion on, one way or the other, and I'd dare say no amount of discussion will change anyone's mind who is already made up. There's the always carry group, there's the never carry people and there are those in the middle (like me) who can and do carry, but not 24/7 or on every ocassion. Besides, as I said in my original reply, there are many situations that to me are are simply not appropriate of safe.

I have 6 year old triplet boys at home. I retired from the navy a while back and since my wife has a good job making six figures and I have my retirement check from the military, I'm a stay at home dad - Mr. Mom if you will - for now. We have an alarm, my in-law's own the house next door and we all live in small town in a good neighborhood that hasn't had a crime more serious in 25 years than a stolen bike at the local playground. There are two cops on the block who leave their cars out and a retired sheriff lives across the street. I guess I'm lucky that I feel carrying a weapon is an option rather than a necessity. As I've already mentioned, I have three little boys at home who are at the age where they are into everything but still too young to realize the consequences of many of the things they do. I simply don't feel comfortable or safe with a weapon out during the day. Also, many of the things I do are with them in tow and I would not want to have them caught in the middle of an armed confrontation. I'd rather avoid situations when possible that could put me (and them) in jeopardy. Besides, my wife also has a concealed carry license and usually has her 9mm either in her vehicle of in her pocketbook. If I'm not armed she usually is, so we are not exactly defenseless

Ultimately, to carry or not, when and/or why is like the food we eat and the clothes we wear, a matter of personal choice that we make for our own personal reasons. What's valid for me may not work for you and vice versa. As long as we can justify to ourselves why we do what we do and can live with the decision, that's what ultimately matters to each one of us.

Assistant Administrator
    rachilders - no problem - I apologize if I seem to come on a bit strong over it - I do fully realize as always it is each and every person's choice. Maybe I shouldn't ''push'' it so hard. But as you can tell, I am dedicated to it and, let's face it - I am keen for folks to stay safe and be able to take responsibility for same.

I can see your rationale - it makes much sense and if you and your wife also share good awareness levels all should be good - armed or not - avoidance of trouble is ever the priority. Thx for the detailed reply
    Chris - P95

To carry or not and why?

No need to apologize, we all have our opinions about things and it's one of the great things about America, we're free to express those opinions... at least for now, but that's another topic. If I lived alone, didn't have small children and lived in an area that I felt required it, I'd carry much more often.

Actually, during my navy career I was stationed in many big city, higher crime locations like San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans and Philiadelphia. I know what it's like to worry about your safety since over the years I've had my home burglarized twice, a car stolen and have been attacked (got away unharmed so far, luckily) several times while at the car wash or stopped at red lights. Navy base's seen to always be in high crime, lower class neighborhoods for some reason??? Anyway, I've been the victim of crime and have a brother who was shot while sitting in his car at a stop sign by a bullet from a carelessly fired gun. He was struck in the shoulder by a bullet from a .45 and never saw or heard it. The shooter was never found. Luckily, he recovered, but though it happend almost 20 years ago, he's now "nervous" about driving alone late in the evening. It's because of past experiences that my wife and I decided to raise our children in a place where you can walk to the corner or sit in the yard and not worry about being shot, robbed or attacked. Not that it can't happen here, but the odds are much greater against it here than in most urban areas. There are areas even here where bad things happen and I avoid them since I have no reason, usually, to go there. If I do, it's with "protection".

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    Even many people that have CC permits don't always carry and I have to admit I'm one of them. If I'm taking my kids to swimming lessons at the pool or go with them to the library, I don't have a weapon on me. I don't usually carry a gun on me if I run down to the local Super Wally World on a Sunday afternoon or go with my wife to watch the kids sing in the church choir on Sunday. I DO always have my gun in the car and available for use if I feel I should need it. If and when to carry a gun is a personal choice and we all have to decide what is best for us. While I may not agree with another's decision whether to carry or not - and/or when to carry if they decide to do so - I won't condemn or belittle them for their decision.

Many people are "as necessary" carriers of their weapons. If we feel the need is not there or there are other considerations to consider (is it practical and/or good judgment to carry a gun, concealed or not to your kids band practice?), we don't. On the other hand, there are also those who carry EVERYWHERE, even in their own homes. Personally, if I felt that I had to have a gun on me in my own home to be safe, I'd find a way to move if at all possible. However, I know some people don't have that option and I truly feel sorry for them. If a man or woman is so afraid or insecure in their own home they feel the need to have a weapon within arms reach 24 hours a day, that's a sad way to live.

I think this guy knows what he is talking about, some people have harder lives then others and you can just say you need a gun, and you don't need a gun. I have been in 4 fights in the last two year all 4 of them were that some one had no respect for some one else i only had my gun on me 2 times but i could judge what was going on between these people but out of the 4 fights only one time have i hada wepon pulled on me it was a 4" knife that time i did have my gun on me and pulled it well i was backing out the door. and then starting tell him to get down. this man gave up his drunkin rage and put the knife back in his pocket and just stood there and said he was sorry and wanted to shake my hand (by the way he beat my A$$ two black eyes bloody nose the whole works) I didn't know what to do so i sat in my car and called the police. they gave him a restraing order on me and his little brother, but he was in a bad state of mind he didn't want to hurt any one he thought we were attacking him. i'm glad that i had my gun on me that night and i'm glad i didn't shoot.

but i think if it was in my car i could have ran and got it, but you never know.

there are people out there that do not care about another persons life and there are people out there that just get cought up in things. I think that people don't want to get involed and that's why they don't carry. and there are people out the that couldn't take a life if they had to.

that's why i feel that only a small part of the people in the U.S. as a whole carry.

and alot of the people that can't take anothers life and can't see some people are ready to kill if they are having a bad day. these people don't see the need to carry. and might even look down on the ones who do and tell them there the bad apple.

but the people that do carry want a better tomarrow for there kidz for they faimlys and for there loved ones. so good bless us all. if you can feel you can do this with out a gun all the time more power to you, but if you need to have a gun on you 100% of the time. live your life that way you might help me out if i don't have mine.

"a gun is a tool and it shouldn't be the only tool in the chest or you don't know fully how to use it"

"i feel people want to help, but the people that want to help 100% could get some one hurt...and the people that want to help just a little could get some one hurt" so what ever you do be safe about it.

:outtahere

but the people that do carry want a better tomarrow for there kidz for they faimlys and for there loved ones. so good bless us all. if you can feel you can do this with out a gun all the time more power to you, but if you need to have a gun on you 100% of the time. live your life that way you might help me out if i don't have mine.

sorry about the long post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links