Shooters, who don't or won't carry

This is a discussion on Shooters, who don't or won't carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The ability of precognition would certainly help with the cost of insurance too. Wish I had it....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooters, who don't or won't carry

OD*
    The ability of precognition would certainly help with the cost of insurance too. Wish I had it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    You'd be surprised at the number of LEO's who don't carry off duty.
    For God, Family and Country!

My wife is a shooter who doesn't carrry. In her mind she hasn't needed it in 41 years why does she need it now. I keep trying to inform her that past experience doesn't have any bearing on whether it will happen in the next five minutes.

Nothing I do will change her mind it seems, I on the other hand always carry.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

I find it hard to understand too, but what really bothers me is when gun folks who don't carry put down CC. As part of the gun community we should all support one another. The 2A is not about hunting after all. The anti's really pick up on this too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Two reasons I haven't seen mentioned here. I'm not saying they are good reasons - I just know people who don't carry - or at least have hesitated to get a permit - because of these reasons:

1. CCW Restrictions. In Ohio, it is very difficult to carry legally. Some of the laws are shady such that it is hard to figure out what is and is not legal. If you are in a vehicle, the weapon must be visible. What is visible? I guess that is open to interpretation. You cannot enter most places. Most employers have signs that do not let you even leave the gun in the car. I am in getting my CCW in the next month. I have really thought about this and I think I can honestly count the number of places I can legally carry on one hand: On my property, to my parents, hiking (as long as I'm not hunting), and to a handful of stores. Restaurants are out (serves alcohol), church is out, work is out. How irritating is it to pull into a store, walk up to see that they have a 'no guns' sign, have to turn around to take off your gun and put it in your car before going back in?

2. Conspiracy theorists. They don't want their name on a (another) government list.

These and like folks are the same ones I almost run over in a parking lot. A cell phone or something they are toying with. Walk out in front of you and still not notice what they are doing. So when you are that oblivious you never see the danger that is there untill it bites ya in the ass.

This is to no one in particular, just an FYI.

I have two sons, ages 5 and 8. I also have a CPL. And I carry 24/7. My weapon is never out of arm's reach where ever I am. My reason, it's MY job to protect my family, not the police.

My boys are of course, curious about my pistols. And I have told them, when they want to look at and handle them, to just ask.

They used to ask several times a day. Now it's maybe once a week.

But when they do, I unload the weapon, make sure it's empty, and let them hold it, and dry fire it in a safe direction. I've smacked hands when it was pointed the wrong way. They don't do that anymore.

My reason for letting them is in 3 parts. For one, it takes the mystery away. As I said, they've gone from asking several times a day, down to about once or twice a week. For another, I get to find out just how well they can manipulate the firearm. Such as, can they fire it double action, can they work the slide, and so on. And it gives me a chance to keep repeating safety issues to them regarding guns.

But you know, if I had a crystal ball that could tell me in advance when I'll need my weapon, I wouldn't carry all the time. So, until I find that crystal ball, I think I'll continue to carry 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe

I have two sons, ages 5 and 8. I also have a CPL. And I carry 24/7. My weapon is never out of arm's reach where ever I am. My reason, it's MY job to protect my family, not the police.

My boys are of course, curious about my pistols. And I have told them, when they want to look at and handle them, to just ask.

But when they do, I unload the weapon, make sure it's empty, and let them hold it, and dry fire it in a safe direction. I've smacked hands when it was pointed the wrong way. They don't do that anymore.

My reason for letting them is in 3 parts. For one, it takes the mystery away. As I said, they've gone from asking several times a day, down to about once or twice a week. For another, I get to find out just how well they can manipulate the firearm. Such as, can they fire it double action, can they work the slide, and so on. And it gives me a chance to keep repeating safety issues to them regarding guns.

But you know, if I had a crystal ball that could tell me in advance when I'll need my weapon, I wouldn't carry all the time. So, until I find that crystal ball, I think I'll continue to carry 24/7.

I have three 6 year old boys that are also curious about my guns. They've seen and held them (unloaded and supervised, of course) and have been to the gun range with their mother and I to see us shoot. Personally and from past experience with my three older children - now adults with children of their own - I feel they are still a bit too young to comprehend just how dangerous a gun can be. To be frank, I know many adults who still can't seem to comprehend the dangers of a gun if handled carelessly! While I don't want them to be afraid of guns, I want my kids to respect a gun for what it can do and the harm it can cause if misused, just like my car or chain saw. When they are a few years older, I'll begin taking them to the range to show them the safe way to use a firearm. I'll also show them what a bullet can do. Nothing seems to impress someone, kid or adult, like seeing a watermelon or empty milk jug filled with colored water explode when hit by a bullet. Afterwards, I remind them that's what would happen to someone's head if it were struck by the same bullet. They seem to get the point quickly! I don't want my kids to be scared of "playing" with my guns when I'm not there simply because they'll get in trouble (which they already know) if they're caught. I want them to realize that a gun is not a toy but a dangerous object when not handled properly and safely. They and/or someone else can be seriously injured or killed if a gun isn't treated with the respect it's due. Luckily, the school board in my area, in a rare stroke of good sense, decided that gun safety will be taught to kids at several grade levels, starting in kindergarten. Local policeman use the NRA Eddie Eagle program, which includs sending home a gun lock, "Don't touch" stickers and firearm safety books. It's a good start that should be done at every school. Still, as the saying goes, safety begins at home and it's up to me to build on the foundation the school started.

That's how I feel about my guns and my children. Not much different that you do I suspect. Some kids are mature enough to handle exposure to guns and their capabilities at 6 or 7. On the other hand, I know adults that are 46 I wouldn't trust alone with a firearm! As parents, and especially as gun owners, it's our responsibility to protect out children from harm and not only from outside sources but from themselves. Nobody knows your kids better than you. When (or if) you think they are ready to be exposed to firearms is your decision - no, it's your obligation - as a parent. It may be at 6 or it may be at 16, but until you do, just make sure you protect them from harming themselves or others. Also, talk to their friends parents about gun safety, particularly if you know the parents have guns at home. I don't know which would be my worse nightmare, hearing one of my kids had accidentally shot a friend or one of their friends had shot one of my children.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe

My 4 yr. old daughter knows my 9mm is not a toy, rather a tool that daddy carries. I carry in a "Smartcarry" rig and there's no way for her or anyone else to get to my weapon. On me is the safest place in the house to have my weapon.

The only downside seems to be that Rachel thinks I'm made of steel in the crotch and if I'm not carrying for some reason, it can get painful when 35lbs of high speed energy is flying in that direction...:)

Assistant Administrator
    it can get painful when 35lbs of high speed energy is flying in that direction...:)
    ''Hi Daddy'' - <voice two octaves higher> - ''Hi honey'' <pain wrenched forced smile>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm chiming in a little late on this, but it is a subject that baffles me too. I shoot IDPA (remember what that stands for folks!) regularly and I know for a fact that relatively few shooters in my local league carry on a regular basis. I know several LEOs...I don't believe any of them carry off-duty. I have friends and relatives who shoot (some often) and some of them don't carry.

I know it is certainly a very serious comittment and worthy of all the attention, practice, and thought you can give it.

And I know one thing for sure...it gives you a sense of freedom that makes all the considerations worth it! So, I offer no explanation for shooters who don't carry...I just hope they never run into circumstances where they wish they had.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    One LEO friend of mine carries off duty but if asked by anyone that's not a pretty close friend he'll say he's not. He may even say he doesn't like guns, just uses one on duty cause he has too. He's very private about it. He actually likes them as much as anyone here does.
    For God, Family and Country!

I have come across this myself,I have two people that I work with,both are into guns and the outdoors.One carries like myself but the other does not feel the need.I also do not understand this thinking,if you have the tools and the means to save your own life and possibly the lives of others why would you choose not to.I used to think this way until we were broken into 5 yrs ago.I also had an incident outside home depot before I got my ccl,I was sprayed in the face with perfume while sitting in my truck waiting for my wife to come out of the store.I defender her off so I didn't get it in my eyes.while this was going on a vehicle pulled up along side her and she got in with several other people in that van.Possible car jacking? pranksters,or worse?Who knows, shortly after that I got my licence and I carry when possible.

I grew up in a hardcore deer hunting family, which several of my family members own CCW permits, but dont carry. They belive (1.)handguns are only good for murder. (2.)They dont feel they have the "need" to carry. They say things like "If you dont hang around bad areas, why would you need to carry for?" To wich I respond "Your home isnt a fire hazard, why do you have a fire extinguisher?"

I know many LEOs that dont carry. The reason doesnt shock me. The average cop will never get into a firefight. They can get a false a sence of security. Thats my guess...Who knows mabe they just dont want to let anyone know they have poor marksmenship Im only Joking some cops can shoot VERY well, but most cops just cant.

There are times I myself dont carry. For example: when Im with a female that doesnt know me well yet. I do this for the same reason that ARMYCOP was talking about. Its a private thing, that most people just dont understand, and I dont feel like explaining.

My fiance's father doesn't carry and says he has lived for 63 years and has never needed a gun, blah, blah, blah. We live in a town of about 1000 or less, and the next biggest city is 15 miles away and has a population of about 4000 including MI Tech U students. His rationalization of ignorance is that nothing ever happens here because it is a small town and big crimes only happen in big cities. I can't stand that way of thinking. Everyone is invincible until it happens to them. Crime never happens to them.

He respects my wanting to carry a weapon. He asked me once how often I carry. I told him "If I have pants on, I have my gun on. If it is legal to carry in the building I am walking into, I still have my gun on. I know where I can and can't legally carry, so don't look to try and spot it or ask me if I can carry here-do you have it with you, etc." That seemed to satify his curiosity.

He has an understanding of my philosophy of carry and seems to respect it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links