Shooters, who don't or won't carry

This is a discussion on Shooters, who don't or won't carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over time I have come across quite a few of these folks and still find them hard to understand. Typically we see a reasonably accomplished ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator

Over time I have come across quite a few of these folks and still find them hard to understand.

Typically we see a reasonably accomplished shooter, possibly with a nice selection of guns, who competes and enjoys the recreational aspect. And yet - does not carry!!

I find this so hard to understand, particularly as here in PA we have shall issue. I mean, it really is no big deal to get fixed up with a CCW.

Talk to them and they acknowledge risk, the possibilities of ''problems'' and yet - they do not wish to carry. Geez, I find that so hard to comprehend. I mean - apart from some inconvenience (yeah - carry is a PITA if you look at the downsides re comfort etc) - why not do the ideal thing to possibly save your a$$ - if, heaven forbid, as I always say - something should go down.

Guys who have experience with guns and shooting are - surely - prime candidates? They already have skills and knowledge - sufficient at least to be competant. The excuse - like - ''well, I'd rather not'' is so lame it is incredible.

I guess I don't see there mindset - maybe that's all it is. Every person here in PA who carries, is one more person who can make the BG's think - twice or thrice - 'is armed crime worth it'? The deterrant value is IMO inestimable, even leaving aside the protection of self and those near and dear.

Oh well - for now at least - we have that freedom of choice!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    The problem is that they just dont see the "need" to carry.

They usaully live in low crime areas, have good jobs, associate with people of like income and values, and have never expeirenced any personal dealing with thugs of any kind.

They are in condition "white" because they simply dont feel threatened.

Unfortunatley...it usually takes someone crapping in their cornflakes to get the point across...

I dont get them either...then again....most folks think they are safe...and it wont happen to them. It will take something bad happening to them or a close loved one to jar them out of it most times....sometimes it wont...
    Brad B.

I come from a household like that.

The short answer is that we're fed to believe so much crap about guns and their use. You wouldn't believe the number of things I learned about guns growing up that were just plain wrong.

I used to believe a .45 caliber pistol had knock down power.

I used to "know" that a 125 grain .357 Magnum JHP catridge was, statistically, the deadliest handgun load in existence.

I used to think that having a gun somewhere in the same town was enough.

The level of ignorance I grew up in was astounding. Sure we had a good assortment of guns, but we really had some very wrong ideas about how to use them. Not unsafe ideas mind you, but just plain wrong.

Besides we lived in the good neighborhood, drank our milk, and stayed in school.

It wasn't until high school I began to question it all. It wasn't until I was a full blown adult that I really got a firearms education and began to realize a lot of what I thought I knew was so wrong.

There are other reasons too.

My mother has medical problems that would make using a gun difficult at best and just feels like she has better quality of life not doing things that make her hands hurt.

My father can't carry at work, flies a lot, etc.

My sister, God bless her, is a hoplophobe.

My brother is underage. I will give him a gun one day, a stainless Ruger revolver in .357 magnum because he won't ever buy one for himself. He will go shoot it once a month or once every other month because it's cool to shoot a gun. Odds are he'll probably actually be a better shot than many police officers with that one particular gun. It will be the only gun he'll have besides his Marlin. He won't think to get another one and he'll seldom clean it. He might get a permit if it's quick and easy. He won't be bothered to undergo an expensive 4 month ordeal or fill out a long form.

You deal with it and realize that it's their decision to make. You realize your parents are getting old and predictable and they stay out of saloons, and at least they have guns at home. Your sister's promised boyfriend at least has CCW interest. You give her a good flashlight and a Stinger and some pepper spray and a training can, and take some solace in the fact she's a fast runner and can throw a straight punch. Your brother won't ever be as dedicated as you are but he's not a hopeless case even if he'll never take care of the legal paperwork.

I know LEO's that don't carry off duty, they don't see the need. Overall, the ones that don't want to carry.....that's their problem.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    I know LEO's that don't carry off duty, they don't see the need. Overall, the ones that don't want to carry.....that's their problem.
    yup...my wifes Dad is like this....locks it away when not on duty...he never took them shooting or any education about firearms either...
    Brad B.

I think what much of the problem is simply revolves around the fact that to many shooters, guns are just tools - and to them, they're tools for their sport.

They can't see them in any other light.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member
    Another perspective.

I finally received a straight answer from a guy I know like this, won't get a permit and carry but is a "gun guy". He has a bit of a temper and what he is really afraid of is that he would shoot someone in a rage. His "excuse" is that he doesn't see the purpose or reason. After I knew him for a year, and had been working on him to get a permit and carry, he "came clean". Maybe another excuse, but I did get to see his temper flare once and he is probably right about not carrying. He cools down as quick as he heats up, but that few minutes of hot would likely lead to something bad.

-Scott-

Administrator

Blind Rage

Anybody that goes into "Blind Rage Mode" and cannot control their actions AKA really goes "out of control" obviously should not carry.

Ditto: Hotguns on the reason why some folks just don't carry.
    And then there is the semi~superstitious reason.
    If I carry a gun then something WILL happen to me and I might need to actually have to use it....which I won't ever do.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Perhaps one area of concern people have about carrying a firearm is liabilty. They may not want to get envolved with the legal tangle of carring a gun with them. If you have went 30 or 40 years without carrying a gun and your life style don't take you into bad areas why change now???
    As we are pro-carry many may own guns but not want that responsibilty.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    Chris,

I believe you've nailed it with, mindset.

For whatever reason, they just can't get their head around the idea of it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Many of the shooters at my club shoot only for peronal enjoyment. They only care about making tiny little groups and handloading to get them. Hardly any of them would know what to do if faced with a threat.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

CE thats a very good point! Many of the older long time shooters were bulls eye shooters. Their guns were made by the old time smiths and the people who used them were excellant shots. They had no interest in carrying a gun for protection, some of these guys/most were ww2 vets. So maybe category of shooters contribute to people who don't want to carry. In some respects that hurts us a group because they have no interest in the crazy laws being developed by anti-gunners. At least out here it may play out that way.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    FortyFive,

It gets even worse with the shotgunners. Many of them think the only firearms in the world are O/U "B" guns to shoot flying pieces of clay.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Great replies guys and thx.

FortyFive - yes indeed I think you are right that some at least may fear the legal aspects to excess - their choice of course and I maybe should not push so hard with my questioning of shooters not carrying.

I am very aware of the legal aspects - I think we all are but bottom line - this is our lives we are thinking about - and those of our loved ones. If any shooter was given a choice - the old adage brought in - ''Do you prefer the thought of being carried by six, than being judged by 12''??

Statistically of course for a great many folks - they can stay in condition white all their lives and also never suffer any harm - well good for them I say - wish it could be the case for every man Jack of us... guaranteed!

As CE mentions and this ties in with the mindset deal - so many shooters do not think beyond the loading and range visits - plus the other point raised re some shotgunners - nothing exists outside of that! And that includes 2A issues too - if they even know of the 2A that is!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links