CCW and military base

CCW and military base

This is a discussion on CCW and military base within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just looking for suggestions on how I can carry to and from the base where I work without getting into hot water. Do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW and military base

CCW and military base

I am just looking for suggestions on how I can carry to and from the base where I work without getting into hot water. Do any bases offer a place to check the firearm before entry? I have a long commute both ways and I drive through some rough areas.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am retired military, and there is a big sign at the entrance to the base stating "No weapons and No illegal drugs". There is no provision for checking a weapon in/out. This is at the Naval Submarine Base in Groton. Some of the larger bases down south allow hunting on the base, but you need to make prior arrangements I believe.

I think you are out of luck,

Mike

It depends on the base commander. He gets to make the rules. Some bases have a range and a shooting club, so they have special rules and waivers. Others require you take your weapon directly to the armor and lock it up. Others allow carry to an outside parking lot. Some allow carry if you have a CCW. Some bases just say no!! You could check into a storage unit close to base.

I knew a guy who transfered to CO from a Marine Base in VA and they allowed CCW (as per the commaders decision).

eww
    I'm also retired military and on any base I was on there was no provision for any type of ccw. I currently work full time on a military base and must to leave the gun at home.

Our armory is clear across the base, so I would have to have it in the car on base. Just hope that the base police don't stop me in route.

Its up the the base commander.

It upsets me that our service men and fight and die for our country but are not allowed to carry on base.

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    Our armory is clear across the base, so I would have to have it in the car on base. Just hope that the base police don't stop me in route.
    Dont do it!

Bringing a loaded firearm onto a military base is NOT one of the things you want your children to remember you for.

I will call the armory tomorrow and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    I will call the armory tomorrow and ask.
    I'd contact the base provost marshal's office. No telling what you'll get from the armory.

I ran into the same problem when I was stationed out in WA state at Whidbey. Go to the MP/MA/SP or who ever it is that takes care of the law enforcement there and find out what their policy is. In some cases, they will allow you to store your weapon there on a daily basis. Its a pain to check in and out, but at least you will know...

Hope that helps..

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    Go to the MP/MA/SP or who ever it is that takes care of the law enforcement there and find out what their policy is. In some cases, they will allow you to store your weapon there on a daily basis. Its a pain to check in and out, but at least you will know...
    +1

I'm Active Duty (shoot, I'm a part of of the physical security here) and my base says NO firearms.

The ONLY weapons allowed are the ones they issue....and they want those back.

When entering or leaving base I am not carrying. There are no provisions made for any firearms. It's demeaning kinda.
    Last edited by Scott; November 27th, 2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post

It upsets me that our service men and fight and die for our country but are not allowed to carry on base.
    but letting soldiers defend themselves in america is just stupid. they can't be trusted to be responsible just because they're expected to be. i swear thats going to come back and bite some general in the butt.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post

In my time in the Air Force I've seem many who shouldn't have a gun. I've seen a guy try to shoot someone on the flightline because he had an affair with his wife, another who shot his girl friend "by accident". Military members are no different than civilians, even though they seemingly go through a selection process. As for it being strictly up to the base commander, that's not entirely true. They do have a lot of leeway but have rules they must follow also.
    Last edited by ronwill; November 27th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    In my time in the Air Force I've seem many who shouldn't have a gun. I've seen a guy try to shoot someone on the flightline because he had an affair with his wife, another who shot his girl friend "by accident". Military members are no different than civilians, even though they seemingly go through a selection process. As for it being strictly up to the bas commander, that's not entirely true. They do have a lot of leeway but have rules they must follow also.
    Sounds like you are using "anti logic". (IE everyone will have a gun if they are allowed on base)

I say, let our service men/women carry until they prove that they can't handle the responsibility. All of the other rules would apply: 21, CHP, ect.

Some base commanders are real sticky about firearms on base.

Many years ago one of the Deputy Sheriffs who was retired Navy dropped by the base PX in uniform on his way home, and was arrested for having his service weapon on his side, which resorted in the Base Commander and the Sheriff having a conference.

The Base Commander refused to allow the Sheriff Department to carry on base, so the Sheriff told the Base Commander to make sure his MP’s and other do not bring any weapons off the base.

Personal coming off base at 3 pm had a habit of stacking up at the red lights, and blocking traffic. So, the Sheriff had all us Reserve Deputy's standing just outside the base, and stop and ticket anyone who ran a red-light, and then search there vehicle for weapons.

Long story short, the Base Commander changed his mind and allowed the Department to carry on base.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links