Three easy citizen CCW rules to know and memorize to avoid hard times

This is a discussion on Three easy citizen CCW rules to know and memorize to avoid hard times within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is taken directly from a posting I made at a different gunfu site where I'm a moderator dating back to 2006 in which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three easy citizen CCW rules to know and memorize to avoid hard times

Three easy citizen CCW rules to know and memorize to avoid hard times

The following is taken directly from a posting I made at a different gunfu site where I'm a moderator dating back to 2006 in which I was reporting a real world incident I'd had hours prior where there was a decision process involved to which I was faced with assessing hyena under conditions which most people would have deemed to be worrisome and some people, some of us, might have made an erroneous and overly quick judgment. That judgment might could have resulted in someone going to jail, the hospital, or the morgue.
    In my case none of the above as I went home and reported what had happened for others to learn from.

I won't carry over the story of what had happened to me in specific, as ultimately it's not important. What is though is the following information that was part of my story in which I explain exactly what outline I had going through my mind to assist toward judgment and my on the fly decision making.
    I'm thinking, hoping, this specific information will prove useful for folks here as there have been lately many posts about act/don't act conditions and todays poll thread where folks talked about under what conditions would they act.

Yes this is a bit lengthy to read but hey, we're not just talking ABCs here.
    This is your life and possibly even mine, literally...

J.A.M. (Justification, Abilty, Means)

Legality and defensibility though varying somewhat state to state for self-defense (justifiable homicide) as well as toward concealed carry weapon use the bottom line always comes down to the very simple acronym of J.A.M.

The above term of J.A.M comes straight from both the VA (NRA) and MA (S&W) CCL classes I've taken through the years, as well as Massad Ayoob and most other CCL instruction & reference guides/books I've studied. The definitions I transcribed directly from the class guide book toward the S&W taught MA CCL class in specific. I took copious notes in class and each page of that class guide book is covered in my hand written notes and course discussed advisories. The sub explanations per item are my own words to further define and explain what each element of 'J.A.M.' means in plain easily understood English.

If you do not have the trifecta of 'J.A.M.' and just one or two of it's legs then you'll discover in real life that you very likely may be considered a criminal too.
    Recent incidents such as the ice cream store shooting in VA and the TX guy who shotgunned two alledged burglars at his neighbors unoccupied home are examples of why it's important to know, understand, and memorize J.A.M. (aka A.O.J.). Not knowing as much can cost you directly alot of time, money, and even your freedom as you otherwise bet on having an easy prosecutor/DA or sympathetic and understanding jury of your peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass. Carry Permit Program Certificate Number LTC-005, Page 4 Section 2B

J.A.M.

* Jeopardy - Serious bodily injury/death
    (e.g. Can he/she/it kill me right now this moment...not in 60 or 30 seconds but right now and _imminent_ death is staring me in the face)

* Ability - To cause that degree of harm
    (e.g. Does he/she/it have the _actual_ ability to kill me...not might or could have with a lucky lob shot via a pistol from 2 city blocks/a football field away. We're talking running up on you at OH MY GOD HIS BREATH STINKS!!!! range)

* Means - Weapon of some description and/or physical force
    (e.g. Does he/she/it have a weapon of real, serious and immediate ability to kill me...not OMG these kids were squirting my wife & I with Super Soakers so I had to smoke'm. Now if the Super Soakers were filled with gasoline then you might have an argument but it would still be tenuous as you could just run away but if they also had a lit road flare in hand and you think they were motivated to immolate you & yours now soaked in gasoline alive...well then that would be considered as them having 'means'.)
    The elements of the acronym J.A.M. may also be recognized by law enforcement under the acronym of 'A.O.J.' (Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy) as well as 'A.O.I.' (Ability, Opportunity, Intent) and by students of Ayoob as 'A.O.J.P.' (Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy, Preclusion).

Additional reading on this subject can be found at:
    * http://www.gutterfighting.org/LethalForce.html
    * http://www.useofforce.us/3aojp
    * http://www.corneredcat.com/Legal/AOJ.aspx
    * http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html
    * 'Shoot/Don't Shoot Study Guide 2003' - http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...hootordont.pdf

If the guy in TX from a week ago who had shotgunned down those two persons allegedly burglarizing his neighbors home had known and memorized J.A.M. then he'd likely not have found himself jammed up as he is today.

Be safe out there...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the JAM! Great post, and the reference links are fantastic.

We all need to be thinking 24/7. On a conscious level or an unconscious level, but thinking nonetheless. Good reminder and primer.

Good read, and like what Rock and Glock said “the reference links are fantastic”.

Administrator
    Excellent work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the additional reference material. Just goes to show how much more responsibility an armed citizen has over the unarmed citizen.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛAB…

Excellent, Janq! Much appreciated. I'm passing this info on to quite a few folks.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

All-important guidelines, to be sure.

The following is a post I had made a year ago, on DefensiveCarry, along the same lines.

If you were to pick simple "rules of the road" for justified self-defense using lethal force, I'd say it would have to be the principle of the "Deadly Force Triangle," which requires three criteria be met: (A)bility, (O)pportunity and (J)eopardy. This is the standard promoted by the U.S. Federal Bureau Of Investigation, The Lethal Force Institute (Ayoob), and many other organizations.

The Deadly Force Triangle:

1. Ability -- An attacker must posess the power to kill or inflict crippling injury on the innocent;
    2. Opportunity -- An attacker must be capable of immediately employing that power in an attack. It's a function of many factors, including distance, time, barriers (ie, a door, wall, car between you); and
    3. Jeopardy -- An attacker must be acting in such a manner that a reasonable and prudent person would conclude that the attacker had manifest intent to kill or inflict crippling injury.

In one phrase, essentially, justified use of lethal force requires that the innocent be in immediate and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm.

If these standards are met, if the use of lethal force is justified, then frankly it doesn't matter whether you use a knife, gun, baseball bat, car, or your bare hands ... lethal force is lethal force. And it wouldn't matter if you shot at the head, heart, pelvis, pinkie finger, or the back ... lethal force is lethal force.

Of course, that's theory. The reality is, you're on the hook at all times to justify and explain your actions to those around you. I would think you should want to have a set of standards that are generally recognized as close to morally-unassailable as it gets. Because, even if you're completely justified to the highest standard, your actions are going to be scrutinized six ways from Sunday.

For a simple run-down on the basic principles involved, check out this useful summary put together by the Champaign County [IL] Rifle Assn, page 9, as promoted by LFI; or, the FBI's Law Enforcement Bulletin; or get a copy of Ayoob's book, "In The Gravest Extreme."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    ...Just goes to show how much more responsibility an armed citizen has over the unarmed citizen.
    It's true, very much true.

Once we citizens take up arms be it a knife, bat, gun, or simply being physically larger/stronger or trained/schooled in hand to hand combat skills (e.g. karate, judo, krav-maga, etc.), we are morally expected by our peers (who will judge in a court of law) and in many if not most states legally required to show restraint and ability to be that proverbial bigger person. To show sanity, reasonableness, and an ability to apply superior moral and legal judgement when confronted by a fellow citizen who is lesser or even same. Citizens include people who might piss us off, those jerks who cut you off, brake check, and/or yell swear words at you on the road, are that belligerent guy at the pub or your kids sporting event who tries to 'start' stuff with folks, and those BGs who run up on you in the street demanding your money or who break into your neighbors home they too are citizens at large even as they in the moment or history past have acted criminally. Everyone is to be treated as though they are a citizen of equal footing not because I say so, but because of what the Bill of Rights says (Fifith Amendment to the Constitution via the Bill of Rights) and most states individual laws suggest. One does not have to like or agree with as much broadly or on a case by case basis, but they do have to abide by as much or suffer penalty of our laws.

As such in following the guidelines of J.A.M./A.O.J./A.O.I./A.O.J.P. we citizens who are assumed to be largely if not wholly good have freedoms and the right, again thanks largely to the Bill of Rights including recognition of defense of self with 'arms' aka defensively applied implements via the Second Amendment, to in our moment to moment life and living assess a situation and when _properly_ deemed necessary, prudent, and other options are zero to bring pain and harm on to a fellow citizen and/or even as a result of that action death with actual hope of simple stoppage of our fellow citizen from bringing pain and harm on to us or some third citizen.
    As a citizen ignore these guidelines and in most states the pain and penalty of as much by law can be quite severe. Even in states like TX where the law or ones peers judgement might be more lose in a court of law there is still pain and penalty to endure via the great costs of being taken to court to defend ones self against criminal charges.
    Not easy, not fun, not cheap, and no one who has gone through it has reported they came out the same as they went in. It takes a toll even if found 'not guilty'.

The simplest and greatest measure of survival is avoidance.
    This is taught everywhere toward any kind of survival, martial art, street fighting, and make it back alive defense & support of self type schooling. At times avoidance may be distasteful or insulting to our ego but taste and ego are not reason enough to bring harm to citizen. A person who does so is referred to and regarded as a 'criminal' in the commission of crime. As such criminals are citizens too and a citizen can be or become a criminal. These are facts that often in threads I've seen have been misunderstood or ignored by situation simply because to an individual it feels good or best to do so and otherwise suspend lawfullness including that of our constitutions Bill of Rights for the sake of ones own individual or group enjoyment.
    To do so is not being a citizen nor is that the America I know or was born into as a fellow citizen.
    The same applies to our federal, state, and local laws. Avoid having the law and legality applied to you and thus you will most assuredly survive.

Hopefully folks will read this thread and/or reference the links and remember them so as to avoid being the next citizen featured in the news who does some bone headed thing resulting in needless injury or death of some other citizen and they themselves jammed up in the back seat of a police cruiser or front row of a court house, to be judged by twelve...citizens.

- Janq

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion, in private self-defense." - John Adams
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,
    So what I'm hearing(reading) from your previous post and others you have posted, is that the honest, law abiding citizen is to live in fear of the "criminal" citizen and the courts.
    The honest, law abiding citizen is to just sit idly by, unless the shoe is being put on their foot, and just watch it happen.
    Nope,,,,,, don't see it!! So the "criminal" citizen is emboldened by this "chicken hiding in the chicken house" approach and continues and escalates, as is human/animal nature, and rapes and pillages to his/her hearts content.
    When does it stop? Who stops it? Especially in our neighborhoods?
    Case in point:Last evening I sent two to jail. 17 year old male, 15 year old female. Both had numerous priors. Male claiming no priors can be used to enhance the charge against him as the 11 priors were when he was a juvenile. Female saying that nothing will be done to her as she is a juvenile and "Just like they say,what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and what happens in juvy stays in juvy and you can't touch me."
    So, with our "chicken house" approach, we encourage this type of thinking. Another quote from the male,"we should have just kept hitting Barnes & Noble since they have a no chase policy. But nobody wants to pay very much for books and magazines." That mentality is out there and very common.
    Don't get me wrong. As an officer, I know what the laws are and that we must abide by them. However, I also believe that each of us as CCW'ers and good citizens have a duty to protect ourselves, our communities and our country.
    The police cannot protect us from everything. If that is to be so, each of us will have a cop tied to our left leg. That cop will sleep with us. Our mates and children will each have a cop tied to our left leg. So,,,, half of the citizenry of the United States will be cops and the other half will be citizens. Talk about a police state.
    This is what the Second amendment is for. So the citizenry may be safe in their homes and persons. We don't need any more government in our lives. Too much already. When there was a whole lot less government, there were a lot less problems because the people took care of their own problems.

No Buttermilk, you are reading wrongly.
    Please re-read my statements.

I said nothing at all about living in fear of criminal citizens and/or the courts.
    Please, take a breather for a moment and then come back and re-read my posts from number one down.

As to referencing the Second Amendment also refer to and do not forget those of the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Ninth.
    There is an old saying; 'What's good for the goose is good for the gander'. Today doing what might feel good and even just if not by law 'right' to one just may be applied as same tomorrow against you by another, who may feel good and just if not by law 'right'.
    As I'd asked you before in the Horn thread; "What is the difference between a bad guy and a good guy?".

Thanks,

- Janq

thanks for the opportunity to learn david

A good guy is a law abiding, tax paying citizen with all his rights intact.
    A bad guy is a criminal, no rights intact, perpetrator of violent crimes, and lots of them don't pay taxes or abide by the laws and live on the welfare system which is funded by good guy, law abiding, tax paying citizens. I see it daily and it galls me to no end. Of course, the good guys are to blame in a way because complacency, a comfortable life, and the shoe not yet being put on their foot, have let their rights be compromised.
    I believe you did say that good citizens should live in fear of criminals and courts when you said,"there is still pain/penalty to be endured when taken to court and going through that process and no one comes out unmarked."Loosely quoted,sorry.
    Who gave the power to the CRIMINAL to drag a good, honest tax paying citizen through the courts. The CRIMINALS are using the fear of the courts as a weapon against good honest taxpaying citizens who house, feed, doctor and provide everything for them.
    Nope,,,,, don't see it!! Those other amendments not withstanding, this country was founded because of too much government and people wanted freedoms to live lives with freedom and liberties afforded free people without interference from a government they had no voice in. It still is today in lots of peoples hearts and minds. The slow encroachment of the government into our lives by the passing of laws that insiduously eat away our rights has brought us to this point that we must turn back from and once again live as a free and sane society.
    "He who will not work, let him not eat." If that welfare person had to get out and get a job, like good, honest, taxpaying citizens, they wouldn't have so much time and energy to perpetrate crimes. But, current laws give the CRIMINAL more rights than the good, honest, taxpaying citizenry.BULLROAR!!!!!

I totally agree with JANG.

Held to a higher standard

Back in the 60ís I obtained a black belt in judo, and then in the 70ís a black belt in a form of karate. Interesting enough both of my instructors warned about recording the certificates. Stating that even if I was not the one who started it, even a small confrontation could result in me being charged with assault, and that the legal system would judge me a whole lot harder.

Further because of training I would be held to a higher standard, and expected to show restrain, and control.

That same could be said for CCL holders.

I REST MY CASE AND THANK YOU!!! "The legal system would judge me a whole lot harder."
    So, we(the good guys) are to be afraid of the legal system and therefore criminals.
    So, the liberal legal system is to be feared by a good guy protecting himself and others?

Excellent post. Thanks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links