Local TV news does story on CCW

This is a discussion on Local TV news does story on CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please check out this story done by local TV station WMC TV here in Memphis. I watched it last night when it aired and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local TV news does story on CCW

Local TV news does story on CCW

Please check out this story done by local TV station WMC TV here in Memphis. I watched it last night when it aired and I didn't like some parts of it. Like the way they insinuated that people who were getting their permit to carry were just looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

The Range where this was shot is the range where I work part time and the instructor who is barely interviewed, Chip Holland, is our Head Instructor and one heck of a nice guy. Great sense of humor too. They did an obvious edit hack job on his interview. I have not had the chance to talk to him yet but I will Saturday and I'll let you all know what he thought of the piece.

Please check it out.

WMC Story on TN Castle Doctrine Law.

By the way, this is not the TV station I work at. I think we would have done a better job with the subject than WMC did. But that's just me talking there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I saw it too. The part I liked "best" () was at the end when the news reader talked about how the Brady Campaign is keeping track of shootings that were "inspired" by the Castle Doctrine... Idiots. No chance those shootings had been "inspired" by BGs attempting to enter an armed home owner's dwelling or car with the intent to rob / hurt / rape / kill / etc, eh?

Idiots.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I think it is a pretty good report over all. Maybe it will inspire more people to pursue self defense measures, and inspire criminals to get a productive life.

Can only hope.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    (from the article) If you have a carry permit, you can even shoot someone if they try to get in your CAR!
    Like...OH MY GAWD, how dare someone shoot when they're getting jacked and their kids are in the car!

We had an incident a few years ago where someone tried to carjack a retired Marine at a gas station. Dare I say how that one ended?

Reporters, the other white meat.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    I didnt think it was all that bad, they always dumb these sort of things down though.

Oh yeah, as a side note, why is he having the students shoot right over that trash can?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh yeah, as a side note, why is he having the students shoot right over that trash can?
    I'd guess that its to get the students used to the idea of firing from some kind of concealment / cover, and that the trash can is simply something cheap / on hand & easy to move around. Though I'm unaffiliated with that range, so I certainly can't say for sure... Seems like a logical possibility though.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I'd guess that its to get the students used to the idea of firing from some kind of concealment / cover, and that the trash can is simply something cheap / on hand & easy to move around. Though I'm unaffiliated with that range, so I certainly can't say for sure... Seems like a logical possibility though.
    Of course thats what they are attempting to do... but why dont they actually use the concealment? Anyway, thats enough of that I didnt mean to hijack.

I always like watching the slowed down pistol shooting... that fireball makes me want to go to the range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My main impression throughout the piece was that they were trying to scare their viewers about the idea that "you have no idea who might be armed". Of course, that could be taken as a good thing too, if you have the (charitable) view that their main audience was all of the BGs in Memphis who faithfully watch the local NBC 10 o'clock news. 'Cause you know its been shown that most criminals watch the local news before going out to do their criminal deeds...

Its not that I expect some 2 minute "special report" on the local news to be "pro" carry or "pro" self-defense. But, since I believe they chose to give it a slant in the first place, I also believe they could have chosen to give it no slant at all. Just give a simple reporting of what the Castle Doctrine means to their TN viewers, and let the "pro" & "anti" spokespeople give their own views unfiltered. That way the report is "balanced", without having the news readers look as though they are injecting their own (or the station's) biases into it.

I know that is too much to ask, but I don't believe that it is too much to expect.

Of course thats what they are attempting to do... but why dont they actually use the concealment?
    Sorry - I've only been seriously thinking about self-defense issues for the past few months, so when I see something like that (the guy shooting over the garbage can), it is still something "new" for me to visualize. I should have realized that you knew that...

Just out of curiosity, did you perceive that he was doing something incorrectly, or that something could have been done 'better' or 'more correctly' in your view? Again, I'm basically a newbie (and I've read enough of your posts to know that you aren't ), and would love to hear your insight. I've got to assume that I'm not the only newbie on here that could benefit.

Administrator
    dang, I'll PM to avoid the hijack.

Back on topic, I think new stories like this really just say that there is a lot of us now so you better pay attention to us.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    dang, I'll PM to avoid the hijack.
    I'd be interested to hear your opinion on this too.

I didn't see anything horribly egregious. They did seem shocked at the idea that someone would defend themselves in their own house, and the carry permit has nothing to do with castle doctrine laws (at least as far as I know). The same deadly force laws apply to people without carry permits as those with.

It could have been a little less sensationalized, but overall, I thought it was an ok story. Maybe I've just learned to have expectations, though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I liked it.... Better than some I have seen

I didnt think it was all that bad, they always dumb these sort of things down though.

Chip uses a trrashcan with an IDPA target sticking out of the top (look close in the news video) to simulate shooting from cover/concealment. It is an easily moved and set up teaching aid.

The part of the video with the 2 ladies drawing and shooting is from one of the Street Handgun Level III classes recently taught. We teach a wide selection of classes from the very basic "Intro to Handguns" all the way up to very advanced Street Handgun Level 4 and tactical shotgun classes. It is a great range and a very good place to get some very good training. ** RangeUSA commercial off**
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Seemed OK to me

I really expected it to be worse than it was from all the posts here. It didn't seem to me to take much of an anti stance at all. It seemed to me more like the piece was letting people know what options they DID have that they may not know they had. And the part about in the car? Just letting the viewers know that
    a) They need to get a permit to have it in the car, and
    b) If you want one, you can get one. All types of people do.

And the bit by the anchor man at the end? Thrown in to keep the anti's happy.

I'm pretty sure that this piece may have gotten some viewers on the road to getting their permit. Hell, they even started out with an example of law abiding gun owner thwarting a crime.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Chip uses a trrashcan with an IDPA target sticking out of the top (look close in the news video) to simulate shooting from cover/concealment. It is an easily moved and set up teaching aid.
    I understand what was going on... I do the same thing, my question was one of technique and tactics, I wasnt asking about it in a generic sense. Maybe I'll start a new thread about it, or I'll wait until this one peters out then we'll talk about it. I really didnt mean to hijack.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links