Strange place to be asked to disarm - Page 2

Strange place to be asked to disarm

This is a discussion on Strange place to be asked to disarm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Drawing and unloading and then reloading and reholstering the concelled firearms seems more likely to cause a ND than to prevent it. I would agree ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange place to be asked to disarm

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Drawing and unloading and then reloading and reholstering the concelled firearms seems more likely to cause a ND than to prevent it. I would agree with no drawing the firearm unless requested by staff.

The indoor range I frequent allows law enforcement and permit holders to carry. The outdoor range does not allow loaded weapons (including CCWs) in the building, but does allow anywhere else on the property.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Every gun store I know from Tampa to Sarasota has that sign or one like it.
    It's not like they're saying you can't bring your gun in, but sometime watch a few of the idiots that show up.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

i don't even show my weapon when shopping for gear. so it don't bother me much. every gun shop i frequent allows concealed carry. one thing i find funny though is at gander when you purchase a weapon you aren't allowed to touch it between when you agree to buy it and when you leave. the clerk hand carries it to the front desk and you take it out. (then you prep your mags and holster it to go back in for more austronaut icecream.)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My favorite CA gun shop displayed this sign:

(I live in the hills of Appalachia now, and plinking from my back door sure beats Southern California)

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    one thing i find funny though is at gander when you purchase a weapon you aren't allowed to touch it between when you agree to buy it and when you leave. the clerk hand carries it to the front desk and you take it out.
    Probably their insurance company made em do it. To stop the possibility of some guy continuing on with his shopping, loading up his gun while he does so etc.

Our gander does the same thing. Think Academy does too. Both allow concealed carry.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    One store I go to has a sign saying all weapons welcomed. Another asked weapons brought into the store to be unloaded. A third has no signs of any type.

But then the only place I don't carry into is the state Capitol where I work. That is a no-no. After all concealed means concealed, so if they don't know I'm carrying, they can't be concerned. And if they ask, the answer would be, "No!"

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Where I used to live, in Largo, Fl., I ran into three separate situations in ranges/gun stores.

Knights, a nice upscale range and gun store, has a large sign as you enter forbidding loaded firearms and concealed carry firearms. Only LEO's allowed to carry. Surprising, since i qualified for my carry permit at their range. I finally stopped going there since I felt the policy sucked.

Jackson's gun store and range has no signs at all. I used their range and store frequently, carrying concealed at all times. I used to take my concealed weapon out when I was at the range, fired my rounds, loaded up and re-concealed before leaving. No one ever said a word.

Wain Roberts, a good gun store in the area, has an insurance type sign on the door stating no loaded firearms allowed. I always kept my concealed firearm concealed and never had a problem.

I think it's ridiculous to deny a qualified person their carry rights in a store or range devoted to the shooting public.

From what I recall there was no fine print. I do not have my permit for FL yet (only NY) so it wasn't a problem for me since I was only visiting but I just found it odd.

As for Gander Mtn, I was told by the sales guy that the reason they walk people out is because at a store (wasn't sure of the location) before they had that rule, bought a gun, loaded up and committed suicide in the store.

Sometimes I am just dumbfounded by the things that people do with their guns. People with permits and training. People who ought to know better.

Recently I was at the home of a man who has been carrying for years. He brought out his 9mm to show me. He quickly cleared it (to his satisfaction), put the full magazine back in, and handed it to me.

I'm a revolver guy and, being unfamiliar with his auto, I just let it lie in my open palm as I admired it, all the while keeping the tube pointed in a safe direction. My friend stepped directly in front of it. I rotated my body a little to redirect the muzzle and, for some reason, he stepped in front of it again while he was talking. I finally smiled and said, not wanting to insult his behavior, "You are stepping in front of a loaded handgun." He replied twice, for emphasis, "That gun isn't loaded!" I just purred "Suuuure it isn't . . ." and I pointed it away again and handed it back to him.

People in gun stores and at ranges have plenty to fear with so many potential NDs waiting to happen. I have to sympathize with their policies. In other places, the CCW never somes out, so it isn't an issue, and I resent any prohibitions those places might issue.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I think this is understandable, you get too many 'yahoos' in a gun store per day, i think if you are going to keep concealed it shouldn't come out, but alot of people say hey does this gun match this holster? How about this mag, and the gun gets flashed about in everywhich direction. Safer situation for everyone if a gun is going to be unholstered then it should be unloaded in a gun store. OMO.
    +1! Our range let's us carry concealed but, like many others, no drawing, showing, loading, etc way from the range itself.

The ranges and shops I frequent also have signs saying no loaded guns. However, with me being a regular customer and training at these places, I've been told that my concealed weapon is not subject to this rule. I've even been told I'm one of the guys they might look to for backup if trouble ensued while I'm there.

However, this is because I've trained at these places and known the people there for several years. New/unknown customers will likely be asked to leave immediately if they display a loaded weapon. However, concealed is concealed, leave it that way.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Most of the gun shops around Dallas have the same sign. It just doesn't apply to CHL holders.

The only range/gun store, I have ever had a problem with however was Bass Pro. I met a friend there one time to shoot on their indoor range. I walked in the front door with my gun bag and the guy at the counter asks if I'm shooting. I replied yes and he asks to check my gun bag. I tell him yes and he has me fill out all this paperwork. He then proceeds to put gun locks on all five of the pistols in my bag. Gives me the paperwork I just filled out and then directs me to the range. I get to the range have to wait for the one guy working the counter. He then inventories my pistols and takes all the locks off. I shot for about an hour, clean up my brass, get my gear loaded up and then start to head out of the store. The guy tells me that he has to put gun locks on all my pistols again. So, I have to wait for him to lock them up, get my paperwork, proceed to the front and then wait for Gomer to unlock my pistols. That was the last time I ever shot there. Love their store but way to much hassle to shoot there.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

just before thanksgiving i was going to the salmon run mall's gander mountain to pick up my brothers christmas gift. as i was filling out the required paperwork i watched one of the attatched airforce NCO's pointing a berretta CX4 storm all over the place. i remained quite as my brother warned him to quit flagging everyone in the store or he'll rudely relocate the firearm. its quite embarrasing considering the guy was in uniform and therefore makeing soldiers in general look bad.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I've never been to a gun store in Central FL that has asked CCW'ers to unload...if you're going in to sell or repair a weapon, it should already be unloaded...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links