Strange place to be asked to disarm

This is a discussion on Strange place to be asked to disarm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a gun shop/range in Tampa,FL yesterday and I was confused by the rather large sign at the front entrance with red lettering ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange place to be asked to disarm

I was at a gun shop/range in Tampa,FL yesterday and I was confused by the rather large sign at the front entrance with red lettering saying "STOP" and continued to tell customers to unload.

Is this normal for a fire arms renter/dealer? I have only been to Gander Mountain until yesterday.

When I lived in the Bay Area in CA, the range I went to made it very clear that no one was allowed to carry a loaded firearm unless they were on-duty LEO.

The folks at the ranges I've visited in TN looked at me like I was crazy and laughed when I asked if it was OK to carry concealed. "Why wouldn't it be?" was one of the responses I got...

I like the South more than CA...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Well being from NY that was why I was really surprised.

I like the South more than CA
    Well that has to get a big duhhh. (Sorry couldn't resist)
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

They are referring to guns carried in your arms into the store. Also that means NO drawing your carry piece to show or whatever. Keep concealed...concealed.

VIP Member
    Both shooting ranges in the Richmond VA area are posted "No Loaded Weapons".

Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    They are referring to guns carried in your arms into the store. Also that means NO drawing your carry piece to show or whatever. Keep concealed...concealed.
    This is a big deal here in Colorado at both Gander MTN and Sportsman's WH. Both have had ppl draw their CCW to try it in a holster LOADED and waving it any which way. They ask ppl to go to the firearms counter and declare and unload in front of them or bollow a similar firearm from their new stock.

You need to read the small print under the sign.

One indoor range in Aurora has a sign that all firearms must be unloaded action open and not concealed. This means everyone. I'm not sure how that helps anything, they do have a number of bad clientele.

the 3 ranges/stores I frequent around here both welcome CONCEALED pistols if you have your ccw, and keep it concealed. Although at one least used to expressly forbid it, even f you had a ccw, but that was before we went from "may issue" to "shall issue."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Strange place to to asked to disarm

I was at the Gander MTN in upstate N.Y. recently. And if I read the sign posted at the front door right.
    It said that all firearms need to be unloaded and checked at front desk except legal concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    I was at a gun shop/range in Tampa,FL yesterday and I was confused by the rather large sign at the front entrance with red lettering saying "STOP" and continued to tell customers to unload.

Is this normal for a fire arms renter/dealer? I have only been to Gander Mountain until yesterday.
    Maybe its just me, but the issue was in FL not CA. this state isn't all blue. Gee it is hard to defend though.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I think this is understandable, you get too many 'yahoos' in a gun store per day, i think if you are going to keep concealed it shouldn't come out, but alot of people say hey does this gun match this holster? How about this mag, and the gun gets flashed about in everywhich direction. Safer situation for everyone if a gun is going to be unholstered then it should be unloaded in a gun store. OMO.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    My local gun shop has a big sign like that too. Except theirs has a real small print line underneath that says "law enforcement and permit holders exempt".

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense to remind people to unload their weapons before taking them into the range.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

One range in the local area posts that ALL guns are to be unloaded including concealed weapons.

The other range has the same rule but once you are known to be a safe gun handler you are welcome to leave your concealed weapon loaded but you can't draw it, well unless the guys behind the counter were to need some help. But then they're a fairly salty bunch....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    When I lived in the Bay Area in CA, the range I went to made it very clear that no one was allowed to carry a loaded firearm unless they were on-duty LEO.

The folks at the ranges I've visited in TN looked at me like I was crazy and laughed when I asked if it was OK to carry concealed. "Why wouldn't it be?" was one of the responses I got...

I like the South more than CA...
    HAHA! I got the same thing from a local gun shop in AR. The response was "Son, this is a gun store. If you haven't noticed everyone has a gun on them."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links