Jon Tyler Community College? Disarm? Cant find info?

This is a discussion on Jon Tyler Community College? Disarm? Cant find info? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay,so I'm attending John Tyler Community College(sorry for the mispell on the title) ,starting Janurary. As a CHP,I'm wondering what I should do about weapons? ...

Thread: Jon Tyler Community College? Disarm? Cant find info?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Okay,so I'm attending John Tyler Community College(sorry for the mispell on the title) ,starting Janurary. As a CHP,I'm wondering what I should do about weapons? I carry,and always,ALWAYS have a firearm on my person AT ALL TIMES except the shower,or post office. (same for my spyderco endura4,and kershaw ken onion blur tanto).

I've searched their website over,and over. Can't find anything about their policies,or etc

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Its not against the law here in Virginia. Check JTCC's school policies (ie student handbook). It may or may not be addressed.

IMO, I would carry. Concealed is concealed and there are no legal ramifications by doing so. However, you could be suspended or expelled--the worst that could happen to you. But, they could just ask you to put it in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Its not against the law here in Virginia. Check JTCC's school policies (ie student handbook). It may or may not be addressed.

IMO, I would carry. Concealed is concealed and there are no legal ramifications by doing so. However, you could be suspended or expelled--the worst that could happen to you. But, they could just ask you to put it in your car.
    I don't see how I'd even "get caught" ,really.

I heard of an arrest made at a VA comm college of a kid with a shotgun in the car, not even on his person. I'll have to look in the handbook(policies).

Thanks for the advice.

Any advice on defensive carrying my legal knives?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

All knifes, regardless of bladelength, must NOT be concealed. Most people just clip them to their pockets so that the "knife" part is inside the pocket and the clip is the only thing showing on the outside. Most LEO won't break your youknowwhats about a knife carried that way.

Most people aren't observant enough to notice that anyway. In reality, even if it is against school policy and someone sees your knife they won't think anything of it unless its a huge bear hunting monstrosity.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I don't see how I'd even "get caught" ,really.

I heard of an arrest made at a VA comm college of a kid with a shotgun in the car, not even on his person. I'll have to look in the handbook(policies).

Thanks for the advice.

Any advice on defensive carrying my legal knives?
    Do you value your life more than expullsion. Thats the question.

When I went to Viriginia Military Institute a few years back it never crossed my mind. We had Guards with M14's, cops that where pretty close and a mass of people willing to stand up to for each other, a honor code more stringent than anyother school in america and a brother hood. Most schools don't have that or any combinationr of that. It never crossed my mind.

Today if I went to a civillian school I would definetly carry, however, I would go DEEP concealment. I'm not advocating anything Illegal because carrying on a college campus in VA is not illegal except if its VCU I believe, but I would. Concealed means concealed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The issue I'm running into is, if I'm at work/running other errands, to be fully legal I'd have to completely run home,just to leave my pistol at home. I can't even leave it in the car!?!? How ridiculous.

Really puts a damper on everything for me.

I definitely might dawn an empty holster for all classes.

I'm gonnna contact concealedcampus.com, and see if they wil let me,or someone can come up with banners I can print up and put up all over campus.

I just thought I would throw this advice out there...

Remember when you ask for a copy of the most updated school policy, not to even hint that you are looking for a particular section. Be as general as you can, without them thinking you have no life.

I remember someone I use to go to class with didn't follow the above advice. I remember thinking to myself... "Oh you're such a *******! Why don't you just tell them you're carrying right now?" Thank goodness it was a community college that was law enforcement and concealed handgun license friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by tanko View Post
    I just thought I would throw this advice out there...

Remember when you ask for a copy of the most updated school policy, not to even hint that you are looking for a particular section. Be as general as you can, without them thinking you have no life.

I remember someone I use to go to class with didn't follow the above advice. I remember thinking to myself... "Oh you're such a *******! Why don't you just tell them you're carrying right now?" Thank goodness it was a community college that was law enforcement and concealed handgun license friendly.
    I almost feel forced to break the policy. Its ridiculous.

When I went last spring semester (before I ever carryed.) I always had my knives on me,and nobody seemed to care. But that was also before the VT issue.

If not against the state law, I'd carry if the max that can happen is expusion from school.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    If not against the state law, I'd carry if the max that can happen is expusion from school.
    Only bad part about that is that thats a HECK of alot of money gone.

And I could get arrested for Trespassing.

So it looks like no carrying at school for me.

"Hi my name is Victem"

Make sure you keep your mouth shut. That includes in class discussions of guns, CCW, RKBA, etc. Don't tip your hand. Here in CO it isn't illegal per se. At CU Ken Salazar wrote an opinion when he was the AG that CU was allow to make thier own laws. I'm not sure how it works that a school can overide state law!! But, in any case it is always legal to leave it in the car in any parking lot in CO that is accessable by the public. So the answer to be for sure legal and within school policy I would need to park on the street and lock it in the car. Several schools in CO issue a warning the first time and take action the second time.

VIP Member
    Just looked it up on line, go to JTCC website, click on fast facts, the media and publications, the 2007-2008 handbook is available there. Page 12, paragraph 9 prohibits weapons, unless approved by the President of the college. ECPI had the same thing in their handbook when I went there back in 2001-02.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You'd think that colleges these days would make every student sign a form saying, "Yes I read and understand that no weapons are allowed on campus per policy..."

Don't ask don't tell!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links