Home Invasions EVERYWHERE !

This is a discussion on Home Invasions EVERYWHERE ! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If one has a remote car lock, and the garage is not too far from the bedroom the remote can be used to cause the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasions EVERYWHERE !

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If one has a remote car lock, and the garage is not too far from the bedroom the remote can be used to cause the car alarm to go off if you hit the panic button on the remote.
    That could be a help if you think someone has entered or is about to do so.

Best,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Cool Orlando,Florida

Hey Y`all, I live in the new `Hood City,Orlando,Florida. And after seeing all of this 50yrs ago in Philly I do have the following to protect my Family and myself; A high-tech alarm system,super lock dead bolts,No dog,12guage Shotgun,22 Mag Rifle, 9mm S&W and an assortment of various ammo that the sheeple wouldn`t approve of but Hey,Sue Me!. Always carry Safe BUT Always Carry!!!.

One a day in the cincinnati area..the latest today and the victim was shot in the thigh..cops got one guy and the other 2 are still on the loose.

The part of Denver that I live in is 1 square mile with it's own police force (12 officers, 15 patrol cars) We have had 7 home invasions in the last two weeks, 5 of them in one week.

My wife went to the police station a few days ago to get some details because we could not find anything out on the news, websites or papers.

"Where do you live?"

"BlahBlah street."

"Oh, you're fine, they are all happening on the other side of town"

"Where specifically, and when - what time of day/night?"

"Why do you want to know?"

At this point we are thinking ***!?! We live here, we pay your salary, we have a right to know what the hell is going on in our little community.

My repeats the question, followed with "I am on disability and home alone while my husband is at work."

Then she finally gets the details. Other side of town turned out to be 2, count 'em, 2 blocks from our house. All during the day, and "We think it's just kids on vacation from school, and should stop after schools starts up again." Their words, finishing with, "Could you tell as many of your neighbors as you can so we don't get so many calls?"

Problem is that each one has been progressively worse. Started with break in, make a mess, get out, to the last one with a butcher knife stuck in the couch after it was all sliced up, and 2 handguns stolen.

Same attitude still from three years ago when my truck got broken into. "Thats the price of living in the city." Straight from the chiefs mouth at a city council meeting when we confronted him on it and the 5 others on the same block, same night. Which was also another night in the spree that had been hitting every block, in a pattern (West to East) for the prior 2 months with no suspects and obviously no arrests. They were just waiting for them to finish the last few blocks and it will be over.

Government law - The police are in no way Required to protect anyone. Just enforce the law.

I hate to say it, but 911 is an after thought and part of the procedure to filing a report. In all my years of interaction with the police, response time is not a priority unless there is another officer involved with the call, then it is drop everything and run.

I sympathize with them, they have a really crappy job to do, and they all get blamed every time just one of their own screws up. But I keep running into the power hungry control freaks that are either fresh out of the Academy, or could not cut it in the big precincts because they are power hungry control freaks that think the sticker on the door should read "Comply or Die".

NOTE - I am 37 years old and have NEVER been arrested, detained (other than suspicion of DUI, that one was funny and he was an idiot that thought he knew how to ride a motorcycle), or cited for more than a traffic ticket, and those I can count on one hand.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    "Oh, you're fine, they are all happening on the other side of town"
    "Where specifically, and when - what time of day/night?"
    "Why do you want to know?"
    At this point we are thinking ***!?!
    My repeats the question, followed with "I am on disability and home alone while my husband is at work."
    Then she finally gets the details.

All during the day, and "We think it's just kids on vacation from school, and should stop after schools starts up again." Their words, finishing with, "Could you tell as many of your neighbors as you can so we don't get so many calls?"

Problem is that each one has been progressively worse. Started with break in, make a mess, get out, to the last one with a butcher knife stuck in the couch after it was all sliced up, and 2 handguns stolen.

In all my years of interaction with the police, response time is not a priority unless there is another officer involved with the call, then it is drop everything and run.
    I see your point. Of course not all but it seems some LEO think they are the holder of 'Top Secret' info that the public (their employers) just has no right to know.
    It's too bad that this LEO is so bothered by getting calls of break-ins. Sounds like his job is a little cushy. Maybe he ought to get his bu** out and catch the perps. It's not really that big of an area.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

"CC" the family Rottweiler is always on duty. (Honest to God, I named him "CC.)

Just try to slip up on my home and see what happens. It has been tried with not too pleasant results for the BG. If you live there--no probem---if you dont you WILL have a bad day!.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    The best alarm is a loud barking dog! It warns you of impending intruders/guests
    and gives you time to react/respond to any 'visitor'....your response depends on the "visitor"...
    I agree. We have two small dogs that are always on alert.

I live in a small town in East Tennessee. Home invasions are becoming all to common even in my small town. When I was growing up, we never locked the doors. Now, I carry at home just like when I am not at home. I also have a great alarm. See attached.
    Attached Images

Yes, home invasions are on the rise as they will probably continue to be until criminals get the hint! Carrying around the house can be a "pain", but we have something that may help you to have it handy. http://www.right2defend.com/hd.htm

And, because home invasions are on the rise, we are in the process of finishing our home defense video which will go into detail about setting your home up, clearing tactics, and MUCH more. We will provide you with guidelines to develop your anti home invasion plan.
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

RE

Quote Originally Posted by drod View Post
    I live in a small town in East Tennessee. Home invasions are becoming all to common even in my small town. When I was growing up, we never locked the doors. Now, I carry at home just like when I am not at home. I also have a great alarm. See attached.

I know the feelin, gettin to be an every night occurance up here in Southwest VA too... Lots and lots of prowler calls over the scanner...and lots of reports that the caller (to 911) has thier 10-32 out hehe (10-32 = firearm)
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

you live in memphis...ouch. i grew up not far from there, and have paid attention to what's happened there over the past 20 years. anyone living there now that is not armed is seriously testing natural selection.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Hmmm...disturbing that your police department would react to you like that. On the other hand, many police officers are reluctant to share information with the public, because we often get burned by our higher ups for providing information that our public information officer or someone with a higher pay grade was supposed to provide. In point of fact, we are very limited as to what we can and cannot disclose to people especially in regards to pending or on-going investigations. We certainly wouldn't want to compromise an investigation by revealing the wrong information, it may seem like stonewalling to you, but sometimes there are very good reasons for our reticence to give out info
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

get a scanner

They are great in finding out whats going on and where the trouble addresses are.

I try to warn my wife about this as she stays at home taking care of our child. She says I make her paranoid when I place a gun on the nightstand and on the end table in the living room. But she loves to go to the range with me. She is competent with the guns.

I work a grave shift and she gets scared by herself in the dark. But at least I feel comfortable knowing she is armed. Hell, I could make it to my house faster than the cops (she would probably call me first anyways) Caddy CTS-V baby!

Couldn't agree more! My wife and I were home invasion victims nearly four years ago. You cannot be too aware or vigilant. In our incident, all ended well. Sorrowfully I can't say that for everyone that encountered this type tragedy.
    Google Search:Phelps County couple fend off home invader

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links