Home Invasions EVERYWHERE !

This is a discussion on Home Invasions EVERYWHERE ! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the Sean thing is being decussed all over America right now, but it's not just the rich and famous that they break into. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasions EVERYWHERE !

Home Invasions EVERYWHERE !

I know the Sean thing is being decussed all over America right now, but it's not just the rich and famous that they break into. We have had a rash of them in the Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville area. According to the most recent FBI data, on home robberies, which includes home invasions, rose nearly 13% in 2006 from 2002, even as violent crime overall decreased 0.4%. Last year, 64,000 residential robberies were reported.

There are several reasons that this crime is becoming the crime of choice rather than Carjackig.

These are a few of the reasons.

1. Home invaders know that they won't have to overcome alarm systems when the home is occupied or be worried about video cameras and silent alarms.

2.Unlike robbing a retail store, home invaders expect privacy once inside your home and won’t have to deal with the police suddenly driving up or customers walking in.

3. Once the offenders take control of a residence they can force the occupants to open safes, locate hidden valuables, supply keys to the family car, and PIN numbers to their ATM cards.

4. Convenience stores and fast-food restaurants have hardened themselves against criminal attack and have reduced available cash

Now to protect yourself from the BGs.....

1. Pick where you live if possible

2. Look at the layout of your house.

3. Have a escape plan.

4. Have your weapon handy EVEN at home.

I live 1,100 ft off the road on a dead end county road.

I put my recliner to where I can see by looking to the left, my back door (actually washroom door which has back door in it)......

To the right, my front door.....

AND next to the right hand arm rest, a little table with a Sig P239 40 on it. It goes to my nightstand when I go to bed.

Do not quit thinking about the BG just because you'er safely home.

Personal home safety means taking charge of your security at home. Involve your whole family in creating a personal home safety plan that fits your family needs.

The police are committed to making your city a safer place to live. But they can't be everywhere at once. You have to protect yourself.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    honestly violent crime is up....and if these new liberals get in its only going to get worse.

Violent offenders will get out on parole faster putting you and your family in danger.. I would say train as many people as you can in your family STAY ARMED and stay safe...

PS if your 239 dosn't have a friend HE NEEDS one. Buy a 229 or maybe a 226, or if you want come to the dark side and go plastic...
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Very good post Tank regarding Home Invasions!

I like your observation post and firing lanes.

I have great view of my front door and can see my front porch from window and over a block away in two directions through the windows from where I sit. I also have a Bassett hound and a Blue Tick Coonhound as more than adequate and very verbal alarm system.

My back door is two rooms away and no direct view, but is always locked.

I have a walk-out basement but have a wooden celler door in the backyard that is padlocked from the inside, then a basement door at the bottom of the stairs from the backdoor that is also locked. I also leave the kitchen door that leads to the basement that is locked so any intruders choosing a basement entry has 3 locked doors to breach before getting upstairs.

My pistol if not holstered on my hip is sitting on table next to me.

My wife keeps her pistol in her purse next to her or if she feels the need stores it in the TV/DVD/Satellite Remote control pouch that sits next to her on the back of the sofa for even quicker access.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good observations and good plans.

But they will have to overcome my security system when I am home because I always have it on. Now, if I could only get the wife to do the same.

Totally agree with being armed while at home, always.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Crime is up in small cities too.Port Arthur,Tx. is about 25 miles from where I live(thankfully):image035 Population of about 60,000,three shootings since last Thursday!This city makes the news almost everyday with a shooting,stabbing or robbery.Crime really is a reality even in smaller cities.

I think the biggest defense one can have is prayer and a gun. God will let you use the tool but he's really the defense. The best we can do as humans is try to be aware of our surroundings and keep the grip in our hands at night, so to speak. Bad a$$ bullets help too. Hope this doesn't seem too insensitive, but we shouldn't take a knife to a gun fight.

VIP Member
    1. Home invaders know that they won't have to overcome alarm systems when the home is occupied or be worried about video cameras and silent alarms.
    Well, my alarm isn't silent. They would be wrong about the rest though.

2.Unlike robbing a retail store, home invaders expect privacy once inside your home and won’t have to deal with the police suddenly driving up or customers walking in.
    That is a good point, and something I hadn't thought about. Once they're in the house chances are good they won't be surprised by much of anything.

3. Once the offenders take control of a residence they can force the occupants to open safes, locate hidden valuables, supply keys to the family car, and PIN numbers to their ATM cards.
    And this is the scary part to me. Suppose you don't have a safe or hidden valuables- even if they think you should. It could lead to something very bad for you.

4. Convenience stores and fast-food restaurants have hardened themselves against criminal attack and have reduced available cash
    I've hardened my home as well. But, if they do get in somebody is going to have a very bad day. I'll be praying it isn't me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Sean is a good example of why I always answer the door with a gun in my hand, held behind my back. I have a gun concealed around my house, but no weapon will do any good if it isn't ready to be used. It's like carrying your pepper spray in your pocket or purse, while walking to your car at night alone. A weapon not at the ready is a useless weapon.

been a ton of home invasions around Reno, NV lately. i live in a relatively new community Northwest of Reno and we've been hit hard in recent weeks. people just kicking in doors in the middle of the day. luckily, local law enforcement made a couple of arrests around here yesterday, so hopefully those will drop off. both my wife and i are armed at home at all times.

The best alarm is a loud barking dog! It warns you of impending intruders/guests
    and gives you time to react/respond to any 'visitor'....your response depends on the "visitor"...

Good post everyone.

I carry a gun on my person anytime I'm awake and near me while sleeping.

The important aspects to me are:
    1. Have a Plan
    2. Have weapons available
    3. Have a light or two available
    4. Get a dog
    5. Buy some cheap scream door window alarms and put them on the most likely door. It will give you time that you need to combat a home invasion by coming up shooting.

This is my plan.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

This is old hat to a lot of you, but maybe some reader can benefit from it . . .

If you don't have a dog or an alarm system and you want some kind of "early warning system" to give you a little peace of mind, think about rigging up a "trip wire" made of fishing line threaded through some screw eyes. When a visitor accidentally hits it (it's nearly invisible), it pulls something that makes noise, like a stack of cans or something.

The variations on this idea are innumerable. For instance, you could use it to tell you whether someone has been around while you were gone. (He could never re-stack the cans just like you had them.)

Cheap and effective.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Sean is a good example of why I always answer the door with a gun in my hand, held behind my back. I have a gun concealed around my house, but no weapon will do any good if it isn't ready to be used. It's like carrying your pepper spray in your pocket or purse, while walking to your car at night alone. A weapon not at the ready is a useless weapon.
    I OC while at home all day long until I go to bed, I also have cameras all around my property. When someone rings my doorbell I just look at my little wireless handheld monitior (5" screen) to see who it is. If they look suspicious, then my sidearm is in my hand in plain view when I answer the door. This seems to work well with door to door salesman....they never comeback and never try to pitch me for long.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    This is old hat to a lot of you, but maybe some reader can benefit from it . . .

If you don't have a dog or an alarm system and you want some kind of "early warning system" to give you a little peace of mind, think about rigging up a "trip wire" made of fishing line threaded through some screw eyes. When a visitor accidentally hits it (it's nearly invisible), it pulls something that makes noise, like a stack of cans or something.

The variations on this idea are innumerable. For instance, you could use it to tell you whether someone has been around while you were gone. (He could never re-stack the cans just like you had them.)

Cheap and effective.
    Excellent point. Some of us can't pick the ideal spot to live yet, and have to make do. I live in an apartment, and I'm lucky to have steel doors - no one's coming kicking through these. On the other hand, the locks are standard locks, not hard to pick, and the doors are not terribly difficult to card. We have chains, but a mediocre set of boltcutters would take care of those no sweat. So what I've done on each of the doors is put a magnet (but if wood, could use a screw) and hung a cheap set of wind chimes on the back of the door, about 1/4" from the door. Whenever the door moves in the slightest, you certainly know it.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There haven't been any reports of home invasions where I'm at, but I know that doesn't mean it cannot happen. I live in a split level home, which means there are stairs going up, and stairs going down. I get the whole downstairs area to myself, which is nice, but my Dad doesn't keep any guns loaded, and ready to go if needed. I am the only one in this house that keeps at least one gun loaded. If an intruder was to break in through an upstairs door or window, and my parents were sleeping, I'd be forced to clear the house and make sure they're okay. I often don't come home until after midnight from work, and I usually have my G19 with me. I come home, take off my shoes, leave my G19 on my person, and go upstairs to make sure everything is fine. My Mother is often left by herself with her dog, and she doesn't even know how to use a gun, and believes the cops will protect her. I can't seem to get through to her that the cops may not get here in time to protect her. We don't have an alarm system, and the dog is a miniature Dachshund, that wags his tail at everyone who walks inside. I often worry about my Mother while I'm out with my friends or shopping, but so far nothing has happened, and I pray that nothing bad will happen.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links