Getting a replacement license - funny story.

This is a discussion on Getting a replacement license - funny story. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone! I'm kind of curious of what you all think of this situation. I'm not sure if there is a thread similar to my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a replacement license - funny story.

Getting a replacement license - funny story.

Hello everyone!

I'm kind of curious of what you all think of this situation. I'm not sure if there is a thread similar to my situation, so I'll just post it.

A couple of days ago I noticed that my approximately one year old concealed handgun license's text was wearing off, specifically the license number. I figured I would call my local county sheriff's office to schedule to get another one since it wasn't entirely readible. The licenses are printed just like our Oregon (at least in my county) drivers licenses with the exception of a little different cardstock and ink.

When I called I spoke to the lady who headed up the department for concealed handgun licensing, she was really nice and appreciated why I was calling. When I asked what I had to do to get a new one, she asked for my first and last name only. After giving it to her, she asked me if I wanted to pick it up that same day! I spoke to her on the phone for no more than two minutes.

Me bewildered by the lack of government bureaucracy, I declined due to my already arranged schedule. She stated I could pick it up the next day if I wanted to, which worked for me!

So I walk in to the sheriff's office and spoke to the clerk about who I needed to see and why. After giving me a strange look that resembled, "Are you kidding?" The clerk gets on the phone to call the concealed handgun license lady to tell her I arrived, still with the same bewildered tone. I look at the clerk and said I was shocked as she was, and we both laughed.

The concealed handgun license lady comes out of the back office in a rush (speed walking), and simply tosses on the counter and says, "Thanks for coming in, have a good day!" and rushes back to the office after I thanked her. It took no more than two minutes once I got into the sheriffs office, to get the card and get out, and literally less than 30 seconds after the clerk called the concealed handgun license lady.

I did not notice that she took a look at me and my card for a positive match, she didn't ask for me to hand over my previous concealed handgun license to make sure it got destroyed, to fill out any forms, and the best part was I wasn't charged anything!!!

Pretty sweet huh, or should the process be changed?

Here are my questions:

Is it me or is there no reason to require me to give back my old license, considering nothing has changed (license number, address, etc.)?

Should she had made sure my photo matched up to my license? - Maybe she looked at it before she came out?

Should there have been a replacement fee?

Regardless, I was flabbergasted by the lack of bureaucracy, lines, and fees! In closing I would like to say where I live is awesome!

2. Remove Ads

Seems there should be a requirement to give back the old license, like with a driver's license, so that if it's revoked you don't have another "backup."

I don't see any reason they should do more than a cursory check to at least make sure you somewhat resemble the person on the license. After all, if you get into a situation where an LEO needs to see your CHL, you better match anyway.

I don't see why there should have been a replacement fee. Sounds like there wasn't much effort involved - probably just popping a blank card into a machine once she had your file.

Then again, I was talking to my aunt the other day about concealed carry, because I know that she did (or used to) she told me she didn't renew last time because they started charging. I looked at her like "You serious? They didn't used to charge for them?" Would that I were older (not really, but a free CCW would be nice.

Those are just my opinions, I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will come along and give you their two cents. Me, I'm still waiting for the beaurecracy to learn to count to 30 (Maine=shall issue within 30 days)
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Some ladies are just so beautiful that you remember their pics for a very long time--some guys are so darn ugly that it works in their favor too.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I can see a reason to turn in the old one, and I would feel better if I walked in and the clerk had verified that I was who I said I was. Sounds like someone could impersonate you and essentially get a copy of your license! While it would all get figured out if something happened, I'm sure it would still cause major, and maybe lasting, headaches for you.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Strange; but, if someone else got/used the permit
    IMO it would take a LEO 2 seconds to figure out
    it is the wrong person.

Seems Oregon would be a prime candidate for 'Vermont carry' if they take it that lightly. Good on them if this is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Strange; but, if someone else got/used the permit
    IMO it would take a LEO 2 seconds to figure out
    it is the wrong person.
    agreed.
    at least in my state an LEO rarely if every asks to see the actual cpl license anyways cuz they run our drivers license to see if we have a cpl
    that and i do have all my old drivers licenses around somewhere.
    i wouldnt worry about it

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Same thing happened to me---permit text started rubbing off in less than a year, with 4 years to go. I had to pay the "lost or stolen" replacement fee, but getting a new one was quite easy. I laminated the second one.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanko View Post
    Is it me or is there no reason to require me to give back my old license, considering nothing has changed (license number, address, etc.)?

Should she had made sure my photo matched up to my license? - Maybe she looked at it before she came out?

Should there have been a replacement fee?

Regardless, I was flabbergasted by the lack of bureaucracy, lines, and fees! In closing I would like to say where I live is awesome!
    Replacement fee? Are you crazy? Don't suggest another way for the goverment to further charge folks momney.

Should she have checked more? Absolutely. Even if it wasn't "you",and she gave out your CHP to someone else. That could kick back and get you in trouble if someone gets caught with it. Even though its nothing you did.

Kinda weird they didn't take your formor CHP license. I do know they are now taking all old drivers licenses(That never made much sense to me. But than I realized that my EX, when she was under 21, used her sisters formor drivers license to get into clubs,and purchase alcohol.)

I got my CHP laminated at FEDEX/Kinko's. Went I handed it to the guy and told him I needed it laminated, he stated if the CHP was for me,its free.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Sounds good to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

glad they laminated it for me when i got it

Where in Oregon was this? I know for Multnomah County they require a $15 fee if you are replacing your license.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 28th, 2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Deleted the original quoted post - it was unnecessary
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

My opinion is don't rock the boat. Anything that makes the bureaucracy run smooth is a plus in my book. I doubt that replacements are asked for very often so the chances of something "wrong" happening are pretty minimal I would think.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tanko View Post
    In closing I would like to say where I live is awesome!
    Lets see you got prompt polite service, without any hassle or red tape or fee. They had what you needed ready for you a day before you were able to get in, offered it to have it available within hours of your initial request and literally ran (fast walked) it to you when you were able to come get it, all free of charge. And your complaint concern is? I think you are just in shock as some of us are that a government agency is really capable of being polite and efficient. Was the clerk a really hot, was she butt naked or in lingerie? Are you sure it was not a dream? If it was real than your last sentence said it all
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Last time I renewed, in Tn, I paid $5 fee and had a duplicate made.
    Keep one in my wallet and the duplicate "handy".
    With digital photography, was easy to get a duplicate.
    Plan to repeat this on next renewal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links