Louisiana CC applications

This is a discussion on Louisiana CC applications within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm hoping very familiar with Louisiana CC applications can offer me some guidance. A good friend of mine is applying for a CC permit and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm hoping very familiar with Louisiana CC applications can offer me some guidance. A good friend of mine is applying for a CC permit and has asked me about something I'm not sure of.

If a person applies for a conceal carry permit, is his medical record actually looked through by the state officials? The application in LA. asks if you've ever been declared mentally incompetent, admitted to a hospital for a mental disorder or treated for a mental disorder (outpatient), and/or take any medications for one (i.e. depression).

If a person answers yes to any of these, they must then submit another form signed by their doctor that the mental disorder is not something that would affect the applicants decision making process (or something to that affect). The doctor also must note what medications the patient was prescribed or is still taking. If the applicant was only seeing a doctor for a depression related problem, and taking meds to keep the problem in check, is that something that would cause the application to be rejected?

I can't see how that information could be found out publicly. It's been a while since I've been through all this and when I applied I didn't have to go through this part.

My instinct is to not say anything, since it's not something that could be publicly found out (like if a person was committed) .

If someone does not disclose the fact that they take an antidepressant, will it be found out anyway? Or is it just best to disclose it and hope your application is not rejected? I know there are many people who take antidepressants, and not all are prescribed for mental disorders (some are prescribed for sexual problems like Zoloft). Some of you may know someone that had to go through this situation and could tell me the outcome. I've been knowing this person for years and didn't know he took anti-depressants. I think he's worried about admitting this and then be denied when he could have said nothing and gotten the permit.

thanks!
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Zoloff has taken a bad rap for depressed people doing some crazy things. It is also prescribed for anxiey attacks which happen to normal people. I'm one of the newer members here but this is my initial thought on your friend's situation:
    If he ever had to use his weapon then I'm sure that when they go back to the permit, and if he lied about anything, it could turn into a big problem. In your friend's situation I think I'd search out some LA permit holders to see what they know.
    For me I would probably consider a Dr's note but like I said, I'm still new and some of the more experienced folks may differ on my opinion.
    Hopefully you'll hear from some LA permit holders.

i suggest foregoing all of that hassle and getting a florida permit. it's good in louisiana and quite a few other states.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    i suggest foregoing all of that hassle and getting a florida permit. it's good in louisiana and quite a few other states.
    I guess that would be OK if he lived in FL. But he lives here. I just got off the phone with someone who says, as long as your Dr. signs the form agreeing you are competent and not psychotic, you are OK.

So I guess the verdict would be to just fess up. Myself, I seriously doubt if I'd ever give out any medical information that's private. But that's me I guess. I would just plead ignorance and insist I didn't understand the question.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

VIP Member
    Best to fess up, in most states falsifying and/or making false claims is a felony offense. If he were to do so amnd get caught that would be the end of not only a CC permit, but to even owning a firearm as a convicted felon.

VIP Member
    I'm a full time resident of Louisiana and it's easy and lawful to apply for a Florida permit, and it is recognized by Louisiana and many other states. Of course you don't have to go to Florida to get it. Most of the classes here offer paperwork for Louisiana or Florida.

Applying for the Florida license seems like less paperwork to me than the one for Louisiana. The deciding factor for me is the FLA is good for four years and LA was good for three. Applying for FLA would help your friend overcome the paperwork for the "mental" issue.

I can't remember the exact wording on the LA application, but read it closely, for your medical records to be released the applicant would have to sign a "medical release authorization", at least that's what I think.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You can request the application/finger print cards for a non-resident FL permit at:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/N...entPermits.pdf

You can live here in LA and use a FL permit. Thats what I and many others do. Before this year the LA permit wasn't accepted in Arkansas so the people in the north would get the FL permit instead.

I am going to get the LA permit as well but it was much easier for me to get the FL permit as I have not had time to take the classes for the LA permit. The hunter ed class from W&F is good enough for the FL.

I'd tell the truth on the application.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Get a Florida permit that doesn't require a breach of your privacy, then you don't have to omit/lie and the problem solved...it works ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    I guess that would be OK if he lived in FL. But he lives here ...
    look at my location ... so do i

IMO, it's none of their business whether i've seen a head shrinker or not ... as long as i haven't been adjudicated mentally ill/defective.

As a resident of Louisiana (north) I will add my vote that IF you are applying for the Louisiana Permit you should fully disclose the truth.

I also as a Florida Permit Holder vote that you should advise your friend to get the Florida Permit. There are many reasons why "currently" it is a better deal to go with the Florida Permit.

thanks for the replies, I suggested he either tell all, or go the FL CCL route. I talked to a local CCL instructor who said it's not normally a big deal as long as the DR. signs off that the applicant is competent.
    Thanks! I had no idea a LA resident could get a FL license! Man, that awesome. I'll pass that along.

BTW: the LA license is 100.00 for 4 years or 50.00 for two years.

ds
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    look at my location ... so do i

IMO, it's none of their business whether i've seen a head shrinker or not ... as long as i haven't been adjudicated mentally ill/defective.
    Ahh yes NOLA! Good luck with that! You live on the Northshore somewhere?
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

I went with my buddy to the courthouse the other day to get fingerprinted. They still use the FBI fingerprint card. Does FL use the same one? I think I'll get him to go the FL route if it's that easy. If a person is expert pistol/rifle and it's noted on a DD-214, will FL accept that? Do they also require a passport photo?

Thanks!
    Wish I would have done this when I did mine. Maybe next time when I renew.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links