"Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

This is a discussion on "Where alcoholic beverages are served..." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In MN this is not a problem. Just because a carry permit holder enters a bar does not mean they have to drink alcohol. I ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

In MN this is not a problem. Just because a carry permit holder enters a bar does not mean they have to drink alcohol. I don't for example. I have never heard of a permit holder having a problem here. It is an unnecessary exclusion if you ask me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Restaurants should be legal, but bars present too many problems.

Now, can somebody explain to me why you can operate a motor vehicle if your blood alcohol is below a set limit, but you cannot operate a firearm? If we have zero tolerance with guns, why not with driving also?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    In VA you cannot conceal carry if the establishment sells alcoholic beverages, but youcan carry open.....not sure I understand the logic, but it is the law. Unless Oklahoma has changes there law, when I got my permit there (1996), as long as the primary purpose was the sale of alcoholic you could not carry. Made it interesting, I was told by police if a business listed itself as a bar and grill, no carry, but if it listed itself as a grill and bar you were legal.

I've seen these type laws before.....

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i think you should be allowed to carry everywhere
    of course not if you are drinking though
    here in michigan we have a 50% rule.
    if the place makes over half their income on alcohol consumed on the premises (aka bar) then you cant carry
    I often wonder in say any given Applebee's how do I know how their income is divided? With the markup on alcohol how am I to know. You assume food is the leader there but maybe there are some where alcohol is. That always struck me as a stupid law.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    A couple of years ago when I took the CCW class, one of the things discussed was the rule against carrying where alcoholic beverages are served or consumed. The instructor told us that there was legislation waiting to be viewed at the State level (Tennessee) that would allow concealed carry in such places as long as you yourself don't drink.

How do you feel about this? Personally, I love the idea. If some crazy decided to run into a restaurant and start mowing people down, I would sure feel better being armed and having others around me armed. And since I don't drink alcohol, there's zero danger of me being impaired.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, I hear that some states already allow carry where alcohol is served.
    i completely agree w/you. i also do not drink alcohol.
    in TX. you cant carry in any establishment that makes 51% revenue or more on the sale of alcohol. so this mainly means, don't carry in bars....i don't go to them anyway,but i cant say for sure i will never be in one for some reason,like maybe a good live band.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

We need to change Ohio's idiotic law.

Felony to carry in any place that serves liquor for on-premise consumpion?

NONE of the states that border us have such stupid rules.

Also, a single drink of alcohol is NOT impairment, no matter what the teetotalers think.

I believe the law should be just like it is in my state... You can carry into any restaurant or bar and you can drink.

I am responsible enough to "drink and carry" and "drink and drive" safely.

Zero Tolerance rules of thumb are for the weak minded... (we hear about first graders being expelled for accidentally bringing a butter knife to school... You catch my drift.)
    I enjoy an adult beverage with dinner and my BAC doesn't peak over .02... (I have been tested several times). .02 is cough syrup territory.

You should never get buzzed and drive or get buzzed and carry, but zero tolerance is not the answer.
    Adults should still be allowed to have a glass of wine with dinner and be allowed to protect the lives of his loved ones.

It should be allowed. PA. is great , and I love going there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

In Nevada it is legal to carry in places that serve and it is not illegal to drink. In fact while under Nevada law you have had too much to drive at .08, you have not had too much to carry until .10.

That is the law in Nevada, I express no opinion here, you do what ever you feel is right.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    I believe the law should be just like it is in my state... You can carry into any restaurant or bar and you can drink.

I am responsible enough to "drink and carry" and "drink and drive" safely.

Zero Tolerance rules of thumb are for the weak minded... (we hear about first graders being expelled for acidently bringing a butter knife to school... You catch my drift.)
    I enjoy an adult beverage with dinner and my BAC doesn't peak over .02... (I have been tested several times). .02 is cough syrup territory.

You should never get buzzed and drive or get buzzed and carry, but zero tolerance is not the answer.
    Adults should still be allowed to have a glass of wine with dinner and be allowed to protect the lives of his loved ones.
    Amen!

Common sense from the Mountaineer State.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Restaurants should be legal, but bars present too many problems.

Now, can somebody explain to me why you can operate a motor vehicle if your blood alcohol is below a set limit, but you cannot operate a firearm? If we have zero tolerance with guns, why not with driving also?
    i personally think it should go for driving also!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't agree that there is ever a time when using a gun to shoot someone while under the influence can be justified by saying that the possibility of being prosecuted is a risk you, as the shooter, take. If that were the case then there shouldn't be any law against people who drive while intoxicated unless they hurt someone else as a result.

What I'm saying is that I personally don't want to be around anyone who is drunk and carrying a firearm, or one who is behind the wheel of a car.
    I know I made a rather blanket statement, but I stand by it, at least as far as being able to carry is concerned. There is an enormous difference in my mind between carrying a gun while drinking, and driving under the influence. The right to self-defense is absolute, whether you are a habitual drunk, or if you've been stone-cold sober your entire life. The right drive a vehicle is ... well, there is no such right. Driving is a privilege which I believe society has the 'right' to restrict in any way it deems appropriate.

Let me repeat what I said above though. I will never drink in any public place when I am carrying, and I will do whatever I can to convince everyone I know who carries to do the same. I think it is blatantly irresponsible to do so, and I don't care who knows it. If you've chosen to carry around a tool that can save your life by taking someone else's, then I believe it is your responsibility to do whatever it takes to maintain a clear mind in case you ever need to use that tool.

I think our disagreement comes not so much in our attitudes (though mine may actually be harsher than your's toward carrying under the influence), but in that I believe that it is neither the government's job, nor it's place to force anyone to act responsibly. I don't want the government to regulate where I can & cannot defend my life against those who might wish to take it.

Those who will give up liberty for the sake of security will have neither. I'll choose liberty every time...
    Last edited by dang.45; November 29th, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

The law should be "No carry under the influence". You should be able to carry into a bar and especially a restraunt that serves alcohol as long as your not drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    The law should be "No carry under the influence". You should be able to carry into a bar and especially a restraunt that serves alcohol as long as your not drinking.
    Despite what I said above, I agree with this 99.9%. That last 0.1% is my darned principles talking, but I think that realistically, what you've endorsed is the best possible scenario, and I'd be overjoyed to see that be the law wherever I go...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Does that include the wine at Communion?

And thus the slippery slope of zero tolerance...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links