"Where alcoholic beverages are served..." - Page 4

"Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

This is a discussion on "Where alcoholic beverages are served..." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CT does not have a statute concerning CCW'ing where alcohol is served. But there is a state website ( http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&q=254186 ) that says: Q37. Does ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 85

Thread: "Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

  1. #46
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    CT does not have a statute concerning CCW'ing where alcohol is served. But there is a state website (http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&q=254186) that says:

    Q37. Does my permit to carry pistols and revolvers permit me to carry a handgun anywhere, anytime?

    A. No. Mature judgment dictates that no handgun be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances. For example, handguns should not be carried:

    1. Into a bar or other place where alcohol is being consumed.

    2. In any situation involving stress such as an argument.

    3. After consuming alcohol or any drugs other than those legally prescribed.

    4. In any building where either State Senate or State House of Representatives is located, or in which the office of any legislator, employee, or committee is located, or where a committee of the State Legislature is holding a meeting.

    5. Any building residential or commercial whose owner prohibits handguns.


    So, when we go to a restaurant and I am carrying, I do not drink. I am ok with this as I am not violating statute, just some guidelines published by one of the bleeding heart liberals who run this State. We do not go to bars so that is a non-issue.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"


  2. #47
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Since I'm one who also said he will have a drink with his meal I would like to explain what that is to me. For me its a drink waiting on my meal to arrive and a drink while eating my meal. Then heading home. The only thing I'm impared with is the taste of a good meal in my mouth.

    Second someone needs to explain this to me. Why is it not just as imporant for a drunk person to protect his life as a sober one. Will not a sober person who made mistakes in a shooting get in the same trouble as a one who is impared? Mistakes are mistakes! And yes if you are impared that will be use against you, but if its a good shooting why would anyone want to make you feel like you are in the wrong. I do not think you should put the two together. Like someone esle said on here, driving is a privlege but protecting yourself is a right. Just how I feel.
    Hi Ben,

    I confess that I have not read all the posts in this thread. However, I will make a couple of points that I suspect others have made.

    Although it varies some with different persons, there is no doubt that alcohol does impair one. That impairment includes his judgment. The use of deadly force requires good judgment, which one who is impaired does not have sufficiently.

    The lack of judgment may, and does in many cases, result in unnecessary quarrels and subsequent use of a firearm.
    I have seen many people who thought they could "handle" alcohol, but have seen none that could. It always, sooner or later, handles them. The alcoholic thinks he can handle it.

    A mistake in shooting when not called for, or because one became involved in a fight has very tragic consequences that cannot be reversed. When one is impaired, gets involved in a quarrel, and ends up using deadly force there is no good shooting.

    I support laws that prohibit drinking when carrying, and having bars off limits.
    From my youth there was always a saying that alcohol and guns did not mix. They still don't.

    One who desires to drink should make a choice to either drink and leave his firearm at home or carry and not drink.
    One reason I agree with prohibiting carrying in bars is that even if one does not drink, bars are places where some drunk is likely to start a fight. It may rub off on one even if he is not drinking, resulting in a shooting.

    A drunk person may think that he is defending his life because he refuses to back down from a challenge. His judgment is impaired.
    In addition, he cannot shoot with his normal accuracy and would likely endanger bystanders. I would not want to be around one who was drunk when he started shooting.

    The fact that one will be tried and convicted is not much comfort if a loved one has been killed or seriously injured.

    I do like the Texas law as well as others which in effect have a 51% rule. Unfortunately in NM one cannot carry anywhere that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. Maybe we will get that changed someday, but we just got changes that permit carrying where alcohol is sold not for consumption on the premises.
    It is interesting that the law only permits concealed carry in those places that sell not for consumption on the premises.

    Regards,
    Jerry

  3. #48
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,903
    My Mother only ever drove a car locally and I don't think she ever drove over 45 MPH.
    She honestly didn't think there was any reason for cars to go any faster than that. 40 MPH was just fine with her.
    And if she could have passed a law limiting the maximum speed at which vehicles could travel then your speedometers would only read as high as 50 MPH...Top Speed at 50.
    50MPH only being used for extreme emergencies.
    And in her mind if you (God Forbid) ever hit 60MPH then you were a total maniac that needed to be locked up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  4. #49
    Senior Member Array rljohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    Not a problem in Colorado. We can carry in any bar, resturant, as long as we are not under the influence.

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,091

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My Mother only ever drove a car locally and I don't think she ever drove over 45 MPH.
    She honestly didn't think there was any reason for cars to go any faster than that. 40 MPH was just fine with her.
    And if she could have passed a law limiting the maximum speed at which vehicles could travel then your speedometers would only read as high as 50 MPH...Top Speed at 50.
    50MPH only being used for extreme emergencies.
    And in her mind if you (God Forbid) ever hit 60MPH then you were a total maniac that needed to be locked up.
    Now there is a lady that I might agree with if she would raise the maniac bar to 65. That is unless they were drinking. :):)

    Regards,
    Jerry

  6. #51
    Member Array state6three8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    101
    I disagree with any law that prohibits packing at any specific location. You all have seen what happens in gun free zones. Sometimes they aren't gun free...

    As far as drinking and packing in concerned... I think it's up to the individual to know better. If you break a law due to being stupid you deserve to be charged with what ever crime you committed. Don't make my having a firearm a crime for standing in a certian geographical location. If I abuse the firearm then charge me for it. Don't make having it a crime.

    Convict the criminal not the gun.

  7. #52
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,389
    This has become a non-issue for me....if I'm going in someplace that serves, I just expose the butt of my gun.....perfectly legal then.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array rljohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    I am curious, how do LEOs ever legally drink any alcoholic beverages? If it is illegal for a LEO to be under the influence and carry a firearm and their department requires they carry off duty? On TV they are always drinking and carring (LOL).

  9. #54
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    This has become a non-issue for me....if I'm going in someplace that serves, I just expose the butt of my gun.....perfectly legal then.
    Unfortunately CT does not allow OC so that is not an option here.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

  10. #55
    Ex Member Array Joe R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi Ben,

    I confess that I have not read all the posts in this thread. However, I will make a couple of points that I suspect others have made.

    Although it varies some with different persons, there is no doubt that alcohol does impair one. That impairment includes his judgment. The use of deadly force requires good judgment, which one who is impaired does not have sufficiently.

    The lack of judgment may, and does in many cases, result in unnecessary quarrels and subsequent use of a firearm.
    I have seen many people who thought they could "handle" alcohol, but have seen none that could. It always, sooner or later, handles them. The alcoholic thinks he can handle it.

    A mistake in shooting when not called for, or because one became involved in a fight has very tragic consequences that cannot be reversed. When one is impaired, gets involved in a quarrel, and ends up using deadly force there is no good shooting.

    I support laws that prohibit drinking when carrying, and having bars off limits.
    From my youth there was always a saying that alcohol and guns did not mix. They still don't.

    One who desires to drink should make a choice to either drink and leave his firearm at home or carry and not drink.
    One reason I agree with prohibiting carrying in bars is that even if one does not drink, bars are places where some drunk is likely to start a fight. It may rub off on one even if he is not drinking, resulting in a shooting.

    A drunk person may think that he is defending his life because he refuses to back down from a challenge. His judgment is impaired.
    In addition, he cannot shoot with his normal accuracy and would likely endanger bystanders. I would not want to be around one who was drunk when he started shooting.

    The fact that one will be tried and convicted is not much comfort if a loved one has been killed or seriously injured.

    I do like the Texas law as well as others which in effect have a 51% rule. Unfortunately in NM one cannot carry anywhere that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. Maybe we will get that changed someday, but we just got changes that permit carrying where alcohol is sold not for consumption on the premises.
    It is interesting that the law only permits concealed carry in those places that sell not for consumption on the premises.

    Regards,
    Jerry
    I need my waders.............

  11. #56
    Member Array BlackBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    184
    I am of the mind that you should be able to carry anywhere you want, but not anytime you want (like, for instance, if you're intoxicated, under the influence of heavy drugs, etc.) That doesn't mean you can't drink, but it's reasonable. If I can drive (both legally and in a coordinated manner) with a BAC of .03, they why the hell can't I carry a firearm? On the other hand, if I'm going to go get smashed, I shouldn't have a firearm on me. We have designated drivers when we go to bars to get smashed. Here's an idea I just thought of: Designated Shooters!

    It's interesting, the law in Maine prohibits carrying in places licensed to serve alcohol, but only if they're posted in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of its patrons. It's the only place where a sign has legal force. Incidentally, I've been in many many many places here in the state that are licensed to serve alcohol (well, they served it to me, and were still in business, so I presume they were licensed) and have never seen a sign to that effect.

    Oh, and when I saw this:
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Alcohol and gun powder don't mix any better than alcohol and gasoline.
    First thought that flashed through my mind was "depends on the proof."
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

    Semper Vigilans et Paratus

  12. #57
    Member Array CowboyKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I am curious, how do LEOs ever legally drink any alcoholic beverages? If it is illegal for a LEO to be under the influence and carry a firearm and their department requires they carry off duty? On TV they are always drinking and carring (LOL).
    You've never heard of, or been in, a "Cop bar" ?

    Ken

  13. #58
    Senior Member Array rljohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    You've never heard of, or been in, a "Cop bar" ?

    Ken
    Only on TV.

  14. #59
    Senior Member Array rhinokrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,036
    Here in Utah it is legal to carry as long as you're not intoxicated, that's 0.08. I have no problem having a couple long island's when I'm having a 12oz ribeye and baked potato(e). At 6'3" 260lbs I'm still well under the limit. If I go to the bar, I don't carry unless I'm the DD.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

  15. #60
    VIP Member
    Array Ben Hennessy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. James, Missouri
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Only on TV.
    Well they do exist. They are open to the public so anyone can go into but usually more than 50% off duty LEO's. I can name 4 or 5 here in St. Louis.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. "Blue Force Gear" and "eCop! Police Supply" Review
    By Medic218 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM
  2. (Open carry) "Help, Officer, he brandished his weapon at me!"..."No i didn't!!"
    By RR9501 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: October 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
  3. Update, Please? Tennessee and Alcoholic Beverages
    By SpringerXD in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
  4. A True Texas Tale: "Bad Guy" "One", "Old Man" "Zero"
    By Rock and Glock in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 17th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Search tags for this page

defensor ccw class review
,
if a georgia restaurant serves you enough alcohol to get your bac to .284, can they be prosecuted?
,

mn carry permit alcohol served

Click on a term to search for related topics.