"Where alcoholic beverages are served..." - Page 5

"Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

This is a discussion on "Where alcoholic beverages are served..." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=American Pit Bull;542856]In the statement that you agreed with on the previous page, I didn't think that was the definition being used... I took the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Where alcoholic beverages are served..."

[QUOTE=American Pit Bull;542856]In the statement that you agreed with on the previous page, I didn't think that was the definition being used...

I took the "as long as you are not drinking" as a zero tolerance position....

My apologies if I read too much into that statement and your concurring statement.

I am 100% against drunk driving and handling firearms while intoxicated, but I cringe at the "alcohol and driving" and "alcohol and firearms" don't mix statements.
    Every time that I go out to dinner with my wife, I drink a serving of alcohol with dinner. And it is disheartening that so many gun owners feel that my right to self defense, while carrying out a simple pleasure such as wine with dinner, should be infringed.
    If you cannot trust yourself to consume adult beverages in a responsible manner and you think that the government should enact laws to keep you from hurting yourself; then we are on a different page.[/QUOTE

Maybe I should change from "as long as your not drinking" to "as long as you don't get intoxicated".

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Maybe I should change from "as long as you're not drinking" to "as long as you don't get intoxicated".
    See now that is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    ... allow concealed carry in such places as long as you yourself don't drink.

How do you feel about this?
    Current laws against it are codswallop. (Apologies, but this is one of my fave old Brit terms for malarkey, rubbish, cattle dung ...)

Disallowing people to have the ability to defend themselves merely because that place happens to serve alcoholic beverages is silly to the point of endangering the innocents, no doubt. It helps criminals and harms upstanding citizens. No surprise to anyone, it has the opposite effect.

And since I don't drink alcohol, there's zero danger of me being impaired.
    That's all ye need know. Now, if only the do-gooder types being allowed to temporarily wield our seats of power could be made to see how simple this idea is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Heck, I drink more while carrying than I do at any other time!

'Course, at 410 lbs, a half-ounce during communion usually doesn't result in a brawl. I do often find myself singing shortly afterwards, though.

+1 on the impairment being the issue rather than the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    It changes from state to state. And there have been some big arguements on for bolth sides. In Missouri you can go into a bar/griil as long as they sell more than 50% food. You can even have a drink as long as you are not impaired. To me some of the best food around come from small bar/grills. And like P95Carry likes, I also like hot wings!!!!!! And the best ones come from small bar/grills. But unlike P95Carry, I'm washing mine down with an ice cold Bud Light!

Missouri law is clear in spelling out what level of intoxication is legal or not for driving. When it comes to section 571 on gun laws it becomes ambiguous (probably intentional) and only states you can't carry while intoxicated with no definition of intoxication. You can not assume the definition would be the same as driving because you can't assume when it comes to the law it doesn't work that way. I would be extremely wary of carrying while drinking especially in the less gun friendly areas of the state until this has been hashed out in court, unless of course you wish to be the test case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Semper Fi

I'm farly sure it will be the same as it is with driving. In Missouri I think its .08.
    Chapter 571 does not give a legal definition for intoxication. You can't transfer the definition from one crime (DWI) to another (CCW while intoxicated). Theoretically you could be charged under 571.030 for carrying under the influence after 1 drink. I would bet there are leo and prosecters in some anti areas that would be morre than happy to take advantage of this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg View Post
    Missouri law is clear in spelling out what level of intoxication is legal or not for driving. When it comes to section 571 on gun laws it becomes ambiguous (probably intentional) and only states you can't carry while intoxicated with no definition of intoxication. You can not assume the definition would be the same as driving because you can't assume when it comes to the law it doesn't work that way. I would be extremely wary of carrying while drinking especially in the less gun friendly areas of the state until this has been hashed out in court, unless of course you wish to be the test case.
    Good point. I was assumeing.

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    Woohoo, I'm not alone!!!

No, you aren't. And I think everyone has a right to defend themselves from actual harm. But if I visit the range and observe some yahoo who is clearly stoned and waving a pistol around while declaring it's his right to protect himself, I'm outta' there.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    No, you aren't. And I think everyone has a right to defend themselves from actual harm. But if I visit the range and observe some yahoo who is clearly stoned and waving a pistol around while declaring it's his right to protect himself, I'm outta' there.
    No doubt! I think I said this before, but I am only arguing against giving government the power to regulate when & where we can defend ourselves. I would do my darndest to get some drunk / stoned / impaired person w/a gun away from me as quickly as possible, or I would remove myself. We all need to take responsibility for ourselves, and need to stop allowing the government to try to force us to "act responsibly". That kind of stuff never works...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Administrator

Talking The Evolution Of A Forum Thread

The Original Thread Topic.........................................
    "one of the things discussed was the rule against carrying where alcoholic beverages are served or consumed.

The instructor told us that there was legislation waiting to be viewed at the State level (Tennessee) that would allow concealed carry in such places as long as you yourself don't drink.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Also, I hear that some states already allow carry where alcohol is served.

We have gone from the thread topic of:

How Do You Feel About Legislation Being Passed To Allow People To Carry In Places Where Alcohol Is Served As Long As A Carry Person Does NOT Drink?

And the thread has evolved to:

totally smashed intoxicated Yahoos waving a gun around at the range.

Kinda Funny Isn't It?

I think...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Original Thread Topic.........................................
    "one of the things discussed was the rule against carrying where alcoholic beverages are served or consumed.

The instructor told us that there was legislation waiting to be viewed at the State level (Tennessee) that would allow concealed carry in such places as long as you yourself don't drink.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Also, I hear that some states already allow carry where alcohol is served.

We have gone from the thread topic of:

How Do You Feel About Legislation Being Passed To Allow People To Carry In Places Where Alcohol Is Served As Long As A Carry Person Does NOT Drink?

And the thread has evolved to:

totally smashed intoxicated Yahoos waving a gun around at the range.

Kinda Funny Isn't It?
    All right. I should have explicated that it makes no more sense to me to allow firearms to be carried into bars by those who are not members of management, or LEOs in the line of duty than it does to allow alcohol on any active firing range.

If I were to carry a firearm into a bar - rather I intended to consume alcohol or not - the risk of encountering some "yahoo" who is armed or unarmed but looking for trouble is much greater than anywhere else I go, including the informal range I frequent. And even though my State permits it, many bars post signs against it. And if I owned a bar, I would too.

Gunpowder and alcohol never mix.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post

If I were to carry a firearm into a bar - rather I intended to consume alcohol or not - the risk of encountering some "yahoo" who is armed or unarmed but looking for trouble is much greater than anywhere else I go, including the informal range I frequent. And even though my State permits it, many bars post signs against it. And if I owned a bar, I would too.

Gunpowder and alcohol never mix.

Wolf357 not to start any arguements but you make it sound like a cowboy movie. Thats not how I know it to be. But I'm sure it does happen. But do you want the rights all cww'er taken or get because of a few idiots. I don't feel its the norm! Can you imagine all the things you do all day that is normal for you like driving that you have never abused. But some idiot drivers do abuse and kill people when sober. Do you think it is right for some one to tell you, you can not drive anymore because that idiot was not responsible to drive safely? I'm not an idiot and I don't want to be bunch in with them. I'm a responsible person always wether I have a drink carrying or not!

I don't drink (anymore) and worry little in situations where others are, as my gun isn't likely going to be accessed by others. I am either working or eating.

Wolf357 not to start any arguements makes it sound like a cowboy movie. Thats not how I know it to be. But I'm sure it does happen. But do you want the rights all cww'er tanken or get because of a few idiots. I don't feel its the norm! Can you imagine all the things you do all day that is normal for you like driving that you have never abused. But some idiot drivers do abuse and kill people when sober. Do you think it is right for some one to tell you, you can not drive anymore because that idiot was not responsible to drive safely? I'm not an idiot and I don't want to be bunch in with them. I'm a responsible person always wether I have a drink carrying or not!
    No, I don't advocate laws prohibiting non-drinking visitors from entering bars. This is a judgment call on my part. I wouldn't do it. And if I owned such an establishment, only LEOs in the line of duty, myself, and employees would be allowed to possess firearms in my establishment.

You wouldn't deny me the right to make this individual decision, would you?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links