Store metal detectors, alarm towers.

This is a discussion on Store metal detectors, alarm towers. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see this mentioned once in a while so figured I would clarify exactly what these towers at the front entrance of retail stores do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Store metal detectors, alarm towers.

Lead Moderator

I see this mentioned once in a while so figured I would clarify exactly what these towers at the front entrance of retail stores do (and do not).
    Typically made of plastic, metal and glass, the twin towers are mounted on either side of a store entrance. We all have heard them, beep, chime or buzz.
    Ever wonder why they do not go off every time you walk thru the door with your pistol, mags, ect? Bottom line , these towers are not metal detectors of any kind. They detect a certain range of Radio frequency(RF) built into anti theft tags. If the tag is not deactivated by passing over the checkout , the alarm will sound.Many people think cell phones, remote car lock fobs and ect, ect will set them off. In my experience , it does not .
    So tread with confidence, you pistol will NOT set off the alarms.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Do people really think that?

Those things barely work for their intended purpose.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I have never had one go off on me giving away that I'm carrying. But I do set off metal detectors even if I'm not carrying due to stints and defibulator.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Do people really think that?
    I did, 1.5 years ago when I first got my CWP. Called my LEO brother from the Walmart parking lot before going in to make sure I wouldn't set them off during my first public carry!

It's fun to watch all the excitment at Wally World somedays when all it does is go off.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    only to keep product in the store. LOL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    I did, 1.5 years ago when I first got my CWP. Called my LEO brother from the Walmart parking lot before going in to make sure I wouldn't set them off during my first public carry!
    Oh yeah, I remember reading about that when you posted it a while back.... I got a chuckle out of it. Hey, at least your honest about it and can laugh at yourself!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I t seems to be a common enough mis conception. Don't feel too bad.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have always know what they are for, but I swear on my license to carry that I had a pair of steel-toed boots that set them off constantly. One time at a kmart (maybe meijers, I know the building but don't recall if it was before or after it changed), I parked my ambulance out front and wandered in, setting off the alarm. Joe-plainclothes loss prevention guy asks me to please stop and come with him. I say "dude, I'm walking in. Are you afraid that I'm going to leave some merchandise without letting you pay me for it." and I keep walking. Then he gets more aggressive starting to put his hand on my arm. Just then the manager calls him off, smiles waves, says sorry about that and I go on my way. I'm sure "joe" got a little lecture.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I have always know what they are for, but I swear on my license to carry that I had a pair of steel-toed boots that set them off constantly.
    Maybe the boots had a still-active loss prevention tag still in them.

Years ago, when stores first put these things out.
    I thought it was a metal detector and was worried the butterfly knife I used to carry, would set off the alarm.
    Never did. Later I learned what it is supposed to detect.
    Now I just hafta get larger over shirts to cover my CCW, belly is shifting my coverage......

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Never, Never ever go with the loss prevention guy.
    Call 911.

If your boots set off the alarm what would a baby carridge do?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    I recently bought a Surefire L4 light. Great light, but here's the worrisome part. After I got home, I was opening the package, and inside the cardboard packing in an obscure area was some electronic circuitry. Mostly flat copper strips with a small IC board in the middle, with the words "ALIEN 2005" nearby.

I've been wearing a tinfoil hat for two months now. They'd like for me to think that it's one of the chip devices that sets off store alarms, but I know better. Pass the roll of tinfoil please.......

Actually, we all know that losses from shoplifting "adds" to our purchase prices. I don't know how much the chips help, probably some, but I bet those thick clear plastic clamshell type packaging helps some too. Those are tough to cut into and access a small item in the store so it could be hidden better for for shoplifting.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I set the alarm off one day walking in to WalMart. Had a pair of Mechanix gloves in my pocket I had bought a few weeks befre. The anti-theft strip was right inside the wrist cuff. I thought it was just the velcro...

In fact, just checked the Mechanix gloves I bought a couple of days ago, and yup, there it is.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    It's funny you mention that... eveytime I go into Best Buy or Circuit City I cringe and wait for the beep as I pass the detectors...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links