Concealed Carry at School

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at School within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rljohns Utah has the answer!! Exactly right....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry at School

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Utah has the answer!!

Exactly right.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

wj
    I also fear that the present laws will get us killed. I am licensed and legal in over 30 states, but not in school. When I teach or take my Grand kids to school, if I get out of the car, I have to lock the firearm in the car. Even that is a potential felony as I am on school grounds (if detected). What to do? Always carry, Never tell.

Also a teacher

I too, am a teacher who would at least like to have my weapon in the car, if not on my person. I am in VA, does anyone know the laws as far as having the weapon in the vehical during school hours? Can they really take away my right to have my weapon off school hours just because I can't have it at school? There is no close parking off campus.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Hey everyone,
    This is my first post here and I checked to see if there was a similar thread anywhere but didn't see one. I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier discussion. If so please forgive my transgression.

I am currently a public high school teacher in Florida. Within the last week a student apparently brandished a gun at a high school across town from us, prompting a lockdown that came hours too late and wouldn't have helped anyone. Obviously, schools are well known as "Safe Zones" for dangerous felons and those that aspire to become so.

My question is, apart from our government suddenly having an epiphany regarding the 2nd Amendment, does anyone know of any way at all (reserve police, etc) that I can get qualified to carry concealed at my school?

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Mel
    I am also teaching in a high school in Central FL...
    You're out of luck...

Stay armed..but not in school...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wj View Post
    I also fear that the present laws will get us killed. I am licensed and legal in over 30 states, but not in school. When I teach or take my Grand kids to school, if I get out of the car, I have to lock the firearm in the car. Even that is a potential felony as I am on school grounds (if detected). What to do? Always carry, Never tell.
    Missouri allows for concealed weapons is vehicles on shool property so long as it stays concealed and is not banished.

some laws only allow guns outside of 1000 ft zone of a school. So in case of a need to protect yourself or eliminate a threat, you better be one hell of a sprinter

Well you can't carry in school and you can't pray in school. Next they will pass a regulation that you can't even bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye when a killer enters the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Next they will pass a regulation that you can't even bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye when a killer enters the school.
    That's already the case in some places, given the reality of the legal shenanigans allowed to an attacker's estate or family.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not possible as I know of it but begin your part by taking some intensive courses in tactical shooting, self-defense that includes gun retention. Also, consider starting a PAC to discuss non-lethals (tasers) or even something like a shotgun with beanbags. Consider how you'll store, access and deal with various scenarios. Don't wait for the system to come to you.

Also, if you accidentially kill someone's kid you may create a parent with nothing more to live for and you know what that means. So, it's a double-edged sword. Begin putting thousands of rounds down the line now.

School grounds

Most states allow you to leave you unloaded, locked firearm in your vehicle while you conduct business at a school.

I am also a teacher, in Arizona. We used to have a loop-hole in the law which allowed teachers to carry if they had permission from the school adminstration.

My crazy ex- threatened to kill me, was arrested for domestic violence, and kept stalking me. I requested permission to carry on school grounds ONLY ON WEEKENDS when kids were not present. If anyone is in the building, the alarm has to be turned off. Since he knows where I work, I'm vulnerable. Often teachers do lots of work after hours.

My district superintendent said "absolutely not!" I got it in writing. If anything ever happens to me that school district will belong to my heirs.

I no loner stay in the building more than a few minutes more than I am required. If something doesn't get done, oh well. If the principal gets on my case, I just tell her that I don't feel safe.

So much for protecting the students and the teachers.
    Ingrid

Small, but deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegal29 View Post
    Most states allow you to leave you unloaded, locked firearm in your vehicle while you conduct business at a school.
    Working is conducting business at school, but I don't think they see it that way.

I am also a teacher, in Arizona. We used to have a loop-hole in the law which allowed teachers to carry if they had permission from the school adminstration.
    Did they end it or is your super just that ignorant?

My crazy ex- threatened to kill me, was arrested for domestic violence, and kept stalking me. I requested permission to carry on school grounds ONLY ON WEEKENDS when kids were not present. If anyone is in the building, the alarm has to be turned off. Since he knows where I work, I'm vulnerable. Often teachers do lots of work after hours.

I wish you the best, I left the state when my ex threatened me, I was young and didn't know enough about guns to want to stay.

My district superintendent said "absolutely not!" I got it in writing. If anything ever happens to me that school district will belong to my heirs.
    And it should!

I no loner stay in the building more than a few minutes more than I am required. If something doesn't get done, oh well. If the principal gets on my case, I just tell her that I don't feel safe.

So much for protecting the students and the teachers.
    Why would they want to protect the teachers, there is no shortage of us... right. Anyhow, I hope you do stay safe and I know what you are going through. I wish you the best. Is there any way you can work from home rather thatn having to go into the school? I know my district allows us access to the grade book and most other resources from home. It is a bit slower because we have dialup, but given the exposure you are open to...

TDPalmer

My super is just super ignorant. They're afraid of liability. They think I'd accidentally shoot a student, or some student would steal the firearm from me.

As for work, I take home what I can, but bulletin boards, copies, organizing room, etc. all piles up. Someone complains about my desk being messy, I just repeat one of my favorite quotes: "If a messy desk is a sign of a messy mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?"

My best bet is to relocate to a more pro-gun environment. Just have to fight my crazy ex to move the kids out of state.

I refuse to be a victim, and I refuse to be bullied anymore.
    Ingrid

Small, but deadly.

Unless you are a LEO, I don't think you be able to do it.

sciencegal29,
    Out of curiosity, do you teach in the Valley of the smog or the old Pueblo?
    Never Again!
    Speak softly and carry a large caliber weapon.

I teach in Yuma. Home of the Criminals. (What a mascott!)
    Ingrid

Small, but deadly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links