Concealed Carry at School

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at School within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, This is my first post here and I checked to see if there was a similar thread anywhere but didn't see one. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry at School

Hey everyone,
    This is my first post here and I checked to see if there was a similar thread anywhere but didn't see one. I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier discussion. If so please forgive my transgression.

I am currently a public high school teacher in Florida. Within the last week a student apparently brandished a gun at a high school across town from us, prompting a lockdown that came hours too late and wouldn't have helped anyone. Obviously, schools are well known as "Safe Zones" for dangerous felons and those that aspire to become so.

My question is, apart from our government suddenly having an epiphany regarding the 2nd Amendment, does anyone know of any way at all (reserve police, etc) that I can get qualified to carry concealed at my school?

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Mel:

Checking the FL statutes page, for ch 790.115, carry on campus is verboten except for a very short list of LEO-related positions. Auxiliaries (reserves?) appear to be okay, but only while under the direct supervision of an active, full LEO.

I'm sure a knowledgable person from FL will chime in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I seriously doubt it. Until school administrators realize their current policy put every student a faculty member at risk, they are going to change.

Thus far they have not learned that prohibiting the law abiding from any form of self protection they have open schools up to the lawless.

In most cases only a law enforcement officer (LEO) would be allowed to carry unrestricted into a school.

There are some districts, mostly colleges, that have actually allowed those with CCW rights to carry onto the facility. Do a search and you may come up with them. I think it was either Utah or Idaho.

Other than that, I would discreetly find other defensive tools to carry while working. it's better to have something, rather than nothing.

There is the story of the principal(?) that had to go to his car to grab a firearm to eliminate a guy that was heading to a game to shoot more people. The district wanted to fire him and charge him, but everyone from the Sheriff on up to the DA refused. They said he was a hero that saved untold lives that day.

I would definitely be all for allowing CCW'ers to carry anywhere they legally can go. Period.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Bottom line is that so-called Gun Free Zones (think Columbine and VA Tech) do not work, regardless of what the anti's would have you believe. The world is not a nice place in many regards, and there are those who would take what you have, rather than work for it themselves.

Because of this, I sincerely hope that the Supreme Court rules in favor of individual rights, and many of the restrictive laws regarding gun control are lifted.

Think about the school teacher in Southern Oregon who lost her case to carry in school. Oregon does not prevent carrying at school, but her school district does. She has a protective order against an abusive ex-husband (ie: a definite need to carry for self-defense), and policy prevents her from such protection. Yet her husband can decide to defy the law and walk into her classroom and do what he pleases.

This country needs to wake up and realize that the only sure way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to take it upon yourself.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Think about the school teacher in Southern Oregon who lost her case to carry in school.
    I was not aware that had been made. However, one of the anti-administrators down there is now trying to push for an amendment to the law to prevent it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I was not aware that had been made. However, one of the anti-administrators down there is now trying to push for an amendment to the law to prevent it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...38888020071110

The circuit court ruled against her. Hopefully we will never have to read about Shirley Katz being murdered on school property by her ex.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Hell, what do you mean ccw a gun to school, haven't you read about all the kids expelled for just drawing a weapon on paper? I saw a few months ago that a 1st grader was expelled for a Yosemite Sam imitation w/ his fingers. It seems the safest place for a gunman is a school.

Utah has the answer!!

sorry. looks like find another profession, move to utah, or dont carry while at work :(

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Mel:

Checking the FL statutes page, for ch 790.115, carry on campus is verboten except for a very short list of LEO-related positions. Auxiliaries (reserves?) appear to be okay, but only while under the direct supervision of an active, full LEO.

I'm sure a knowledgable person from FL will chime in.
    Agentmel, I feel your pain, but I am afraid that under current Florida law, carry in schools by teachers is, indeed, prohibited .

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Carrying a gun may not be the answer but have you ever thought of a good chemical agent?

Thanks everybody. The problem with chemical agents is that they are not guns. They also happen to be prohibited by our school district.

What I've done already is enlist some of the larger boys in each of my classes and we've decided together our strategy for resisting anyone who enters my classroom with intent to do harm. Additionally, I think I'll start practicing with my 3-hole punch, which happens to be the most likely effective potential weapon in my classroom! I also may just start illegally carrying my 9.5" Spyderco folder, which is extremely unlikely to ever be detected.

Thanks everone, and if you have more ideas, keep them coming!

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

are you allowed to have a good hefty pipe .. to hold up.. something?

Join Students for Concealed Carry, get educated on the subject like it's a second degree if you have the time, get active, and write your legislators non stop.

Our link is in my signature.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links