Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

This is a discussion on Have you ever forgot you were carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paratroop23 YES.......and I was in a Bank when I realized it. I was talking with my wife, and it dawned on me ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    YES.......and I was in a Bank when I realized it. I was talking with my wife, and it dawned on me that yes I was armed, yes I'm in a bank, and yes I can end up in serious dodo. After I came to my senses, beelined out to the car to unarm myself, and returned to finish the business I was taking care of.

Damn CTAC Holster!!!
    I carried into a bank my first day with a permit. No problem.

2. Remove Ads

Wink +1! But....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup. If you carry often and long enough, you dont think about it anymore.
    Agreed, but that's not the same thing as forgetting you're wearing it. I would think that as you "forget" so too, go all of your natural protective instincts and behaviors. That would be tantamount to simply turning off condition yellow. If you're suddenly going to shed your sheepdog outfit, then turn in the teeth, too. Don't carry. I've been carrying a firearm for nearly 30 years and never once "forgotten" it was sequestered on my person. Not once. There have been moments when I don't think about it but that's vastly different from "forgetting."

When I sit, my hand still unconsciously adjusts my cover garment to make sure I'm still covered and ditto for when I stand up. When my wife wants me to reach for something up high at a store, I reach with my offside hand to keep the cover garment low over the piece. In a stiff breeze, my arm is clamped down to my side to keep my cover from blowing open and setting up a "reveal." That's not thinking about it, but it happens as naturally as breathing. Which is the way "Condition Yellow" is supposed to work.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Yeah once with pocket carry when I went into the health club. Got to the locker room before I remembered and headed right back to the car.

I agree with the guys who say they don't really notice it but don't really forget it either. It depends on comfort. With my Kahr PM 9 and an IWB UBG holster I don't really feel it ever and like some guys said sometimes press my forearm against it to be sure it's there. With a 1911 and C Tac it's always poking me someplace and I couldn't forget it if I wanted to. The weight difference also enters into it..

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Agreed, but that's not the same thing as forgetting you're wearing it. I would think that as you "forget" so too, go all of your natural protective instincts and behaviors. That would be tantamount to simply turning off condition yellow. If you're suddenly going to shed your sheepdog outfit, then turn in the teeth, too. Don't carry. I've been carrying a firearm for nearly 30 years and never once "forgotten" it was sequestered on my person. Not once. There have been moments when I don't think about it but that's vastly different from "forgetting."

When I sit, my hand still unconsciously adjusts my cover garment to make sure I'm still covered and ditto for when I stand up. When my wife wants me to reach for something up high at a store, I reach with my offside hand to keep the cover garment low over the piece. In a stiff breeze, my arm is clamped down to my side to keep my cover from blowing open and setting up a "reveal." That's not thinking about it, but it happens as naturally as breathing. Which is the way "Condition Yellow" is supposed to work.
    Ya got a good point there, I guess I never forget, I just dont think about it much. Its no big deal to me anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

I always carry when going to Post office and especially the bank, never have any problems. I am always aware that I am carrying, but will break a rule here and there.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

i don't really forget, but it's so natural that i only notice when i'm *not* carrying.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

well i didnt forget but my 7 year old daughter had a doctors apointment and after i gave her a ride to school. yep you guessed it i swund right into the parking lot and had that oh sh** moment drove right out parked on the road and watched her walk up the walkway to school. did i mention this seems like the stupidest rule ever Bradys and gun free zones

Hmmm. Not really. Not FORGET anyway. Sometimes in the house I am not as aware that I am armed, but that's it. Outside the house, it's too important to watch how you move, so even though that might become more of a subconscious thing, you are not forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    i don't really forget, but it's so natural that i only notice when i'm *not* carrying.
    Actually, I think this sums it up pretty well. I am VERY aware of when I am not carrying outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    well i didnt forget but my 7 year old daughter had a doctors apointment and after i gave her a ride to school. yep you guessed it i swund right into the parking lot and had that oh sh** moment drove right out parked on the road and watched her walk up the walkway to school. did i mention this seems like the stupidest rule ever Bradys and gun free zones
    IIRC, most states allow you into the parking lot if you have a permit and remain in the vehicle.

VIP Member
    Yea,EXSOLDIER.....hit the nail on the head

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I tend not to think its there. It's as natural and common to me now as my wallet, keys or cell phone.

Today, on the way injto my posted work place, MNBurl got an earfull of expletives as I realized I had wandered inside with my 1911 while talking to him on the phone.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I almost took off my cover shirt while at a restaurant once. It was warm and I had on a t-shirt under it. As soon as my hand bumped the grip I remembered and kept it on.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I haven't forgotten that I'm carrying, but sometimes I'm not carrying and I think I am. This typically would happen when I'm home since I carry every time I walk out the door. Also there are times where I have to double check if I'm carrying since I can't feel it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links