Have you ever forgot you were carrying? - Page 4

Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

This is a discussion on Have you ever forgot you were carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have forgotten I was carrying. I remember the night of April 16, 2006, the night I nearly got stabbed to death in a Wally ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have forgotten I was carrying. I remember the night of April 16, 2006, the night I nearly got stabbed to death in a Wally World parking lot. I ended up pulling out a .357 snubnose revolver on a drunk dude who had a huge bowie knife on him. I had taken that same snubnose gun to the range the previous day, and I guess I shoved it in my coat pocket without even thinking about it. My coat was quite big, so the gun just sort of disappeared in the jacket, and I forgot all about it, until that night I had to defend myself with an UNLOADED gun (Yes I used all ammo at the range). Anyway, you can find some better details in my introductory post, if you're so inclined to look for it. At the time I wasn't aware of Alaska's CCW laws, so I was thinking "I am so glad I wasn't caught for carrying without a license." Then I looked up Alaska's laws to find out there was no permit required to carry as long as I'm 21 or older with a clean criminal history.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

When I pocket carry, no - but when I IWB carry in a good IWB holster, yes.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I always know if I have my gun on me or not. Part of always being aware to me.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

i have 'forgotten'
    but never ended up in a place i wasnt allowed to.
    since the only place i cant carry is the bar and school.
    i dont think i could accidently go to school with my gun. at least i hope not
    i have gotten close to going into a bar tho. i was just going to pick up a 6pack of local microbrew for a friend (i very rarely go into bars to drink). so, yep close, but not yet.

I have some comfortable carry methods but I am always aware that I am carrying. I also give the occasional mag check. Sometimes getting in and out of certain vehicles MAY engage your mag release. When I worked in the NYPD I got into a patrol car and found a fully loaded S&W mag on the driver seat. I found the PO that had the car before me and sure enough he was missing the mag from his weapon.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I have some comfortable carry methods but I am always aware that I am carrying. I also give the occasional mag check. Sometimes getting in and out of certain vehicles MAY engage your mag release. When I worked in the NYPD I got into a patrol car and found a fully loaded S&W mag on the driver seat. I found the PO that had the car before me and sure enough he was missing the mag from his weapon.
    Good catch my friend...oops factor comes to mind..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Most of the time the fact that I am armed fades into what I suspect is a higher level of UNconscious awareness .. . this has never caused a problem or embarassment. I do not carry into the strictly prohibited areas ... schools, fed bldgs and the posted hospital where I see my doc .. otherwise I am unaware of signs .... hazy vision due to a cornea transplant due to lasik ya know.

What is disconcerting however are the times I lose full situational awareness ... fortunately those times I needed it I had it.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Jeepers, I carry ALL THE TIME so it doesn't matter if I forget or not. Not the I've had anything happen, but I've got to the point where I don't ever want to be unarmed. Of course if I was going to a govt. building or school or some other prohibited place I would disarm but I avoid those places unless absolutely necessary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links