Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

This is a discussion on Have you ever forgot you were carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While this is not the Catholic confessional, I am curious if you are so comfortable in your carry mode/style that you have forgotten you were ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever forgot you were carrying?

Distinguished Member

While this is not the Catholic confessional, I am curious if you are so comfortable in your carry mode/style that you have forgotten you were carrying?

I have recently changed my carry weapon and holster type, and find myself forgetting it's there. Kind of like your billfold, you know its on you, but you don't think about it.

The wife and I were eating dinner the other day and when I went to pay, I realized my "friend" was with me. We were in an establishment that was questionable to legally carry in.

Then I started to think I pop into the post-office and bank on a regular basis, and that's a no-no. So have you had any of those types of screw-ups, or is your mind always conscious of your carry piece?

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I've only carried a little over a year. I carry 3 different guns depending on where I'm going and have invested in good quality holsters for each. The only time I really forget I'm carrying is at home. I'm always aware I'm carrying when I'm out somewhere, mostly just because I'm more aware of what's around me, not because I feel the gun there...
    Invest in bad holsters. I'm sure you never forget you're carrying.

I have forgotten too. It is just something else in one of my pockets. I have turned around and gone back to the car a few times though.

While I have become much more confortable with my gun at my side, I don't beleive I ever forget it's there. One reason may be that I have been tending towards OC lately rather than CC.

I have made it a rule... I do NOT go where my weapon is not welcome. Businesses that don't like it, don't get my money.

About the only time I forget it's there is when I'm sitting in my Lazy-Boy at home watching the tube.

I can't say I have forgotten I was carry. But I have been comfortable enough with my rig that I have slept with it on no issues.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Ya once and a while

i've only ever forgotten once, and that was today in a movie theater bathroom. i unbuckled my pants, and my gun hit the floor. i heard " holy !" from the next stall. i quickly picked it up and got out of dodge. i waited until i got home to go; it made watching the movie very uncomfortable.

by the way, go see "the mist."

Sure all the time. Pocket carry and some IWB.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i've only ever forgotten once, and that was today in a movie theater bathroom. i unbuckled my pants, and my gun hit the floor. i heard " holy !" from the next stall. i quickly picked it up and got out of dodge. i waited until i got home to go; it made watching the movie very uncomfortable.

by the way, go see "the mist."

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Sure all the time. Pocket carry and some IWB.
    What he said.

Actually, I've never forgotten to consider the legality of carrying certain places. But most of the time it's comfortable enough that the actual mechanics of carrying just don't cross my mind.

Administrator
    Yup. If you carry often and long enough, you dont think about it anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was at a steak house, it was December of last year.. we got a little bit of snow. I was wearing one of those really warm stay puff marshmallow man looking jackets.. we sat down and I took it off.. inside of the booth gun to the wall.

Well after dinner and sitting around drinking about 5 jugs of sweet tea.. I had to make a trip to the pisser. Needless to say with the jacket I did not even think to untuck my shirt and pull it over. I got to the restroom and did my thing.. after sitting back down a rather portly fellow came over and introduced himself as a federal agent, upon producing his credentials I sat there stupified wondering if I had met him somewhere before.

He sat down and asked what I was carrying, my hand instantly went to my hip and felt it out there.. I lowered my head and he had a grin from ear to ear. My boss' eyes went wide, he had no idea I carry, nor did he mind although he is not really 'fond' of handguns.

The fed sat and talked with us untill the place closed.. telling me not to be embarassed that he has done it many times, and it's good to know if the SHTF that some citizens aren't sheep.

I still have his card, and we've exchanged emails.. he was here during a layover/cancelled flight and we met up for a few beers during another cancelled flight. He is actually becoming a good friend.

My one lapse turned into something positive and since I have not worn a big jacket with my shirt tucked.. I look sloppy but no one will see i'm armed again.
    Last edited by monky; December 1st, 2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: I'm smrt

I did that on Wednesday. I got into work was talking to one of my managers and realised I still had my 380 on me concealed of course .I usually put it in my backpack .We are not allowed to bring guns in the building.But I won't leave it in my car .merlin45kout

Yep, I sure do. In fact, the only time I am really completely aware of my CCW state is when I have to disarm for some reason. When the gun is not on my hip, I am painfully aware that it is not there. When it is there, it is just like my billfold, I am subconsciously aware of its' presence.

If you carry long enough, everyone gets to that point.

By the way, RightWingWacko, I LOVE your avatar. Wish I had thought of it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I suppose I don't ever forget it's there. It doesn't occupy my thoughts, much of the day, but I am aware of it. I have a reasonably effective 18x7 radar, and I've worked hard to ensure that includes a periodic "scan" (consideration) of whether I'm prepared enough for the situation around me. I don't check it or worry about it, no. But I try to be reasonably aware of my level of preparedness. YMMV, as this isn't for everyone. Works for me, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links