Defensive Carry banner

Was I being paranoid? (please read story before voting).

• Never underestimate a lady.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • Lay off the forums, you're getting paranoid.

Votes: 126 64.9%

Paranoid?

5K views 64 replies 58 participants last post by  PM 
#1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, I was walking into WalMart from the back 40 because the parking lot was rather full. A woman pushing two carts was coming toward me. One cart held a baby in a child safety seat and the other cart was full of groceries.

As we were almost side by side, the woman asked if I had the time. My first thought was 'I can't believe you'd actually try to rob me, given the circumstances'. I've read several stories and news reports of muggings starting with a simple question- "Do you have the time?" or "Do you have a light?", etc.

I stepped past her a few feet to create distance before looking at my watch, at the same time watching for any indication of a robbery about to take place. Nothing happened, but I realized I was in the mindset to recognize a simple question as a potential threat.

So what do you think, folks? Never underestimate a lady, or too many stories have caused me to be paranoid.

#30 ·
OK let's assume that you were overly cautious what did it hurt? Did you insult her or shoot her? No all you did was be extra safe.

So what damage was done? None. I'd rather be overly cautious and not notice what could be a dangerous sitution.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are NOT out to get me......:wave:

#32 ·
Well, what if she wasn't the BG, but a target, and her question was innocent? You might have then just thrown a purse snatching in the gutter by being alert, without even knowing it?

The DFW news is FULL of shopping center parking lot purse snatchings the past two weeks. At least one or two every night, in North Dallas, no less. The crime du jour. The victim is usually unaware, burdened by baggage, age, or little ones. The crimes have been brutal in some cases - accompanied by swift beatings, being drug by a car, what have you. There have been a lot of injuries.

So, maybe you're a bit on edge, maybe not - but parking lots are BG "active", at least here in Dallas.

#33 ·
Doesn't sound paranoid to me, could have been an armed midgit in the car seat!! :blink:I should know....everyone is out to get me!!! :rofl:

#34 ·
This just in...'Kansas Paper"

"An attempted robbery today was averted by a man with a CCW permit. I seems that the 'mother/baby team' were working the WalMart parking...
Police say that the lady had a bag full of bombs, and the infant had a hidden gun...
A man called, 'takurpic' averted the attempted robbery/car-jacking...
More tomorrow..."
:rofl:

Stay armed...stay safe!

#36 ·
Like my old man used to say "It's only paranoia if your wrong" Just don't start acting like this :tumbleweed: and you will be fine. :danceban:

Cannot say enough either way on the matter, too few details, however as long as you realize there is a possibility of taking it too far I wouldn't worry so much about it. Especially since your post did not indicate anything particularly rude or offensive by your behavior.

The important thing is that you were aware of your surroundings, 99% of the people we come across mean us no harm (well probably only 75% in DC) but that just means people become more complacent and forget about that other 1% waiting for their chance especially during this time of year.

In any event, keep safe and happy holidays!

#37 ·
Why take a chance? You should have immediately double tapped her to CM and one to the head. Then keep the kid covered just in case. :rofl::rofl:

No, you aren't Paranoid. Everyone really is out to get you. :aargh4:

I'm sorry! I couldn't resist. :biggrin2:

#39 ·
unless you were just doing this for practice,i would say yes, way paranoid.i doubt a criminal would wait in ambush w/two grocery carts and a baby too rob someone of some chump change. although better safe than sorry.better keep an eye out for the guy shopping in the electric wheelchair,he might be in league with her . :scruntiny:

#43 ·
I didn't vote, but only because the first option said "Never underestimate a lady." In my opinion, you should never underestimate anyone. Change the scenario just a bit (just one half of a chromosome) and make the person a guy with full carts and kids. You shouldn't be any more or less worried. You should be attentive, and alert, and prepared. The fact that you didn't take action on it means you see wher erestraint should be exercised, so you're fine.

I "war-game" all day long. While driving: "What if that car stopped suddenly?" At a red light: "What would I do if someone suddenly tried to get in the car?" At the bank: "What would I do if someone came in and started waving a gun around?" I extend this to everything, as often as possible. There's nothing wrong with being alert and aware. Considering possibilities is the other half of condition yellow.

#47 ·
I "war-game" all day long. While driving: "What if that car stopped suddenly?" At a red light: "What would I do if someone suddenly tried to get in the car?" At the bank: "What would I do if someone came in and started waving a gun around?" I extend this to everything, as often as possible. There's nothing wrong with being alert and aware. Considering possibilities is the other half of condition yellow.

Haha so do I :bier: I never thought about it, but it is good to do. It can keep you from getting into a situation where somebody else saw the same opportunity, only with harmful intentions.

The more you think about these things, the more prepared you will be when, if, something happens. You can never be too prepared.

#45 ·
I gotta disagree with the majority here. You never know who she is and who may be with her. She may be there to distract you so her boyfriend can jump you from behind. Especially in a Walmart parking lot.

Ed

#46 ·
I'll more or less echo what some others have said:

1. Women are not to be underestimated, some of the nastiest fights I've seen were between, or involving women.

2. In this particular case, I think you may have overreacted (at least mentally). You have to consider the specific circumstances. The way I react to a clean-cut, well groomed guy; or a little old lady at 3:00 in the afternoon will not necessarily be the way I'd react to a shifty looking guy at 2:00 in the morning. I'm NOT saying that you can judge by appearance alone but the context of the situation will influence how I handle the contact.

#48 · (Edited)
A woman with a child in a cart, approaching. Not very threatening, in and of itself. Certainly, a distraction. But, a tool for evil designs on you? Be aware of possibilities, sure, but I believe it's taking things much too far by half, to assume such a thing is the worst possibility from the outset.

That said, I certainly maintain a little distance and circumspection with any such question, where my attention is being divided. It's simply become a part of how I interact and respond. I generally know the time to within ~20mins or so, so I can easily respond without having to think or look down. I also have a pretty good "radar" and am fairly aware of those around me well before they approach. So, if someone were to ask a benign question, it cannot ring the alarm bells given how other information about the approach lacks any threat at all. Simple situational awareness helps keep things at a low simmer, so they don't boil over incorrectly. As suggested, context is everything.

#49 ·
Something we all need to keep in perspective here is location. Take my State for an example. A WalMart parking lot in St Louis can be close to a war zone. However in my town once in a great while someone may break into a car and steal a purse that is laying in plane view. Many times in cold weather you will see half a dozen cars left running and empty while the owner runs into the store. So if I was in St Louis and this happened yes I would be cautious. Here at home, I would have pushed the food cart to her car.
Mike

#50 ·
:22a:What Buz? You don't need to have a loaded gun on you while cleaning another??!! Gosh...I learn so much reading these message boards!! :banana:

#52 ·
There are lots of dead guys that dropped their guard because someone wasn't dangerous. While she wasn't a threat, you should always maintain your alertness, not turning it on and off.

Asking if you are paranoid is asking the wrong question. Ask yourself if you are survival oriented.

#54 ·
I only dress in Thrift store clothing, pretty ratty, and never shower. That way, no one wants to be close to me, so they don't ask questions. It works out well. I learned this from a Kansas City Star columnist, er, idiot who "thinks" he is a columnist. His name is Louis Duguid. He dresses like this to see if folks will keep their distance from him. Seems to work, but I think no one likes him anyway, so they don't want to be around him...Kidding about my dress, not him, he is an idiot.
Step away from the stimulants my friend.

#57 ·
After reading through these posts, it seems to me a whole lot of folks need a reality check. Good grief folks, are you going to stay hold up in your homes for the holidays? Do you dare go to any store and walk across their parking lot? Is anyone who acknowledges your presence or ask a simple question a potential adversary that you need to be on guard against?

I've been at a couple of events the past couple of weekends that have had large numbers of people. Friday evening the downtown area was pretty much wall to wall people. I had numerous folks bump into me, several bumped directly into my XD45. O my goodess! :ahhhhh: Are they trying to disarm me?? A couple of times strangers asked me a question! Good lord I'm surrounded and only have one mag with me!! :gah:

Some of you really do need to step back and chill out. You are getting in a mind set that is boarding on clinical paranoia and not just being aware of your surroundings.

If a woman with two shopping carts and a baby, who has the audacity to ask for the time is seen as a potential threat, you're developing a problem.

#58 ·
That is a lovely white veil you are wearing over your eyes, digitalexplr... :wink:

#60 ·
No veil at all. As a Vietnam Vet and a veteran of nearly 20 years in law enforcement, investigations and security (11 of which were as unifomed officer), and having been in all types of hairy situations, there is nothing in this scenario the should cause anyone to feel threatened.

If anyone sees a threat in this scenario, they have issues that they need to deal with. :hand36:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.