Paranoid?

This is a discussion on Paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone who watched the "Get Smart" TV series way back when can tell you there are more spys and secret agents than you can shake ...

View Poll Results: Was I being paranoid? (please read story before voting).

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never underestimate a lady.

68 35.05%
  • Lay off the forums, you're getting paranoid.

126 64.95%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid?

Paranoid

Anyone who watched the "Get Smart" TV series way back when can tell you there are more spys and secret agents than you can shake a stick at. I don't trust anyone. Especially girl scouts at cookie time.

2. Remove Ads

Women (and babies) have been used before as decoys to attract your attention while someone else comes up on you. The one talking to you doesn't have to be the one that harms you. If you had drawn a weapon and told her to assume the position before looking at your watch, you would have been paranoid. By realizing that an innocent looking individual could be attempting to hold your attention while something else occurs is being aware that things are not alway what they seem. Nope.. not paranoid, just sensible.

Stay alert, be polite, and have a plan to kill everyone around you.

Just kidding! You did fine. I hope I will consider an ambush the next time ANY stranger engages me in a conversation. If you write off all women with kids as zero threat to you, you've just opened yourself up to the possibility of tremendous surprise. Better to be alert and called paranoid than be surprised and dead.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I had a guy ask me at 4am when I was filling up papers if I had change for a dollar. I said I don't carry any cash, and quickly made haste to the car. I understand what you mean about the question first to "distract" you.

Maybe not in your situation tho

Stop watching the t.v.

Not Paranoid

I vote to never underestimate a woman. There are just too many ways your situation could have gone very wrong. I'm glad you were aware and that you were thinking in code yellow not white.

Regardless of the time of day, it is Christmas shopping time and there are a whole lot more people walking around with cash, which makes for bolder BG's(and Gals). And we all know that there are too many sheeple that will just look the other way 'cause it's not happening to them!

I believe too many men (I'm sure no one here ) do not consider women in the scenarios they think through.

Good job! And keep up the safe thinking!!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Its Not Paranoia if they are out to get ya

I didn't vote, because there is a distinct difference between paranoia and a heightened sense of awareness.

I honestly don't think you actually suspected this particular woman of being a personal threat to you in any way. But you were being wise to consider at the time the many possible ways a person can be mugged.

Too many victims waiting to happen just look at their clumsy feet while walking straight into trouble.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Be aware of the total situation. It would not be the first time a seeming harmless women was used as a decoy or to divert one's attention.
    Strangers asking for something are always the time to raise your antennae and awareness. I would call it " preparedness, not paranoia " to, quote Mr. Ayoob.

I've had black helicopters circling overhead before, well not really, they were dragonflys; but, if you suck enough beers laying on the beach up here, you can dream. Actually, thinking about it and watching the news, it's possible for the lady with the baby to be a dirt bag. We just had a guy shoot a 6 year old, kill the mother, and in a standoff, kill himself. Way too many scum that cares about no one.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Don't stop at Starbucks on the way to WalMart!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Women can be more danderous than men...
    Maybe you should have offered her some 'Head and Shoulders.'

Distinguished Member
    "I think your thought process was fine, and you weren't rude or unfreindly (at least by my reading). You considered the possibility of a robbery and decided that the circumstances didn't support it."

+1 Maybe it's Tucson (Chicago, NY, LA???), we have so many meth heads and gangs that roam the mall lots that I don't even like my wife shopping at night without me. Who says there's not someone between the cars (a favorite)?

Some wisdom, caution, applied with courtesy, makes for a pleasant and safe interaction.

Some folks may call me paranoid, but my head's always on a swivel unless I'm sleeping, or in one of my friend's house with locked doors and we're both carrying.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

OK let's assume that you were overly cautious what did it hurt? Did you insult her or shoot her? No all you did was be extra safe.

So what damage was done? None. I'd rather be overly cautious and not notice what could be a dangerous sitution.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are NOT out to get me......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links