Paranoid?

This is a discussion on Paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by digitalexplr Some of you really do need to step back and chill out. You are getting in a mind set that is ...

View Poll Results: Was I being paranoid? (please read story before voting).

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never underestimate a lady.

68 35.05%
  • Lay off the forums, you're getting paranoid.

126 64.95%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paranoid?

Buz
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Some of you really do need to step back and chill out. You are getting in a mind set that is boarding on clinical paranoia and not just being aware of your surroundings.
    +1.
    I can understand if you're a LEO who's put away some bad people in your day, but for the average armed citizen, that seems like overkill.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    After reading through these posts, it seems to me a whole lot of folks need a reality check. Good grief folks, are you going to stay hold up in your homes for the holidays? Do you dare go to any store and walk across their parking lot? Is anyone who acknowledges your presence or ask a simple question a potential adversary that you need to be on guard against?
    Simply put, yes. (to the bold, anyway)

No, I'm not saying be paranoid about everyone, that's ridiculous. But there's a spectrum between paranoia and complete obliviousness. Suspecting everyone of being out to kill you will get you put away in a hurry. On the other hand, being aware is a good idea.

I work at McDonald's, on the overnight shift. I interact with dozens, scores, maybe 100+ people every day. Does this mean I have to think everyone's out to get me? No. I couldn't function. On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to think to myself "what could happen" and right on the tail of that "what would I do." If I don't, say I only pay attention to 1 person in 4, what do I do if someone who's going to rob me is one of the other 3? Why should I not at least consider the possibility that every person I encounter is a possible assailant? Only seems prudent, to me.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

not paranoid

"I assume" is identical with "I think I know something (but I really don't)". Assuming no threat leads me to condition white. Assuming there is a potential threat somewhere in the area, maybe not the woman with baby, keeps me out of condition white.

Murphy's 3rd law: If everything seems to be going well, you are probably overlooking something.

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your lives it will creep." (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

She was alone. She had two carts. She had a baby. True, the carts and the baby could have been props which were stolen for the occasion ... but that's highly unlikely.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

PM
    I think you did the right thing. Don't know where in southwest KS you live but I can think of three SW KS cities that I would be a bit more alert in when walking in a walmart parking lot. Spent from 1991 to 1996 in the exterme sw corner of the state and from what I have heard it has only gotten worse in those three communities. I had a person on lives in the same community as I do say he a a friend where threaten for parking in a city park in one of the three communities of which I speak, something that would not have happened when I lived in the area and spent time in that community. So, paranoid? Maybe! You are also able to write the story here! As others have said "Just cause I am PARANOID; it does not mean the world is not out to get me!!!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links