In your car: Holstered or Unholstered? - Page 3

In your car: Holstered or Unholstered?

This is a discussion on In your car: Holstered or Unholstered? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rustynuts For those that IWB (or even OWB) in the car, how do you sit? I carry more at 4:00, not right ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In your car: Holstered or Unholstered?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    For those that IWB (or even OWB) in the car, how do you sit? I carry more at 4:00, not right on the hip and I can't bear sitting in a car seat with it on. That fact alone forces me to pocket carry most of the time.
    I know it's not easy access to the gun IWB or OWB, but pocket carry would be impossible. I carry about 4:00 and I hae to admit sometimes its not real comfortable. I can usually shift it up a bit and I'm fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Holsterd in the door.
    What if you have to exit the vehicle quickly? Maybe a threat coming towards you and you have to get out quick. You grab your gun ( just incase you need it)and it's already in your hand in a threatning mannor simply because it's already unholstered. ( like the thread below). Just food for thought.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33053

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    One in the hole and in a vehicle mount (self-made). Here is why...

As a teen I grew-up with some GBI agents and one day an Agent asked to see my PPK. I popped the mag out, cracked the slide open and gave it to him (no round in the chamber). He said I was already dead. I asked why? He said because of the moment I wasted pulling the slide back and potential for a manually created mis-feed before getting one-round off. I'm an adult now and the advice is debatable but for now I'm doing this.

The vehicle mount is because of an incident 2 years ago where a guy went road rage, hunted me down and purposely crashed into my car. This knocked the mirror off, ash tray out, and the glove box flew open sending the contents and my pistol in between the passenger door and seat.

I was able to flee and dial 911.

He was later convicted (3rd DUI (drugs), Leaving an accident and Failure to pull over to a law enforcement vehicle. His rap sheet on the Ga Dept of corrections though is nuts. 2 x 5 year terms, 2 prior DUIs, multiple possession of drugs, single felon of possession of a handgun, pending agg assault in another county. What the H...? How is is out and about.

Nonetheless, I thought I was wise and prepared but I'm going to learn all I can from everyone on this sight to be as prepared as possible. It'll have to happen to you before you get very serious.

Now though, I have a child and have to rethink the entire home and ccw routine. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS:

I took a Uncle Mike's paddle holster and mounted in pointing down in my center console. You can buy a vehicle kit but this works great. Send me your email and I'll send some pics of it. There is a dual mag holder mounted as well.

Check the laws of your state and this is not wise if a child could have access.
    These all seem like great reasons to have your weapon ON YOU!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I always keep my G17 in the holster. Even with my bucket seats, I have figured out and practiced a lot how to draw quickly and reliably. I used to keep it in the crease between the drivers seat and the middle seat (F250 with three way split seats) but it was not reliable and could be seen too easily.

Main 1911 on me, and traveling, I throw my BUG in a pocket holster in the door pocket for comfort. Easily goes back into my pocket and stays put.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i drive 500 miles home and back just about every other weekend.
    so almost 9 hours at a time, 20 hours for one weekend.
    and my gun stays on my hip the whole time.
    i have a very strong 'on body carry' belief. no matter what.
    if you ever have to get out, fast, its the best thing.
    i also often have ppl with me that dont know i carry, so then its a must
    as far as comfort goes- not a problem. 3 oclock kydex IWB and even with all the driving i dont think i have ever thought 'gee i wish i could just take this thing off for a minute'.

Always holstered and easy access in any position. I'm right-handed so I carry cross-draw with a forward cant at the 3:00 position. A real ease to access also since I'm started carrying I no longer drink beer so I no longer carry a spare tire.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Being left handed I find it difficult to get to my weapon while seated and belted in to the seat.

I have been considering some sort of off body carrier for my primary since my BUG is in a pocket and relatively inaccessible anyhow.

It is a dilemma that I have been pondering for some time. Not sure yet what I will do.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Depends, if Like this weekend while Christmas shopping and I was jumping from store to store around town I would keep it holstered on my side. But, on the trip to/from town I keep it unholstered between the seat and console.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Mostly on me, very seldomly in the center console between the seats.

Ohio still has some stupid restrictions about what you can do with your CC gun in your car and some of the stuff you can do elsewhere (stuffing it between the seats) will not fly here.
    Yup, state of Ohio requires that it be on your person, or locked, zipped, or sealed in a container outside of your lunge area. Thus, its always on me.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I bought a cheap holster with a velcro strip on it. I attached another velco strip to a plastic area on the console. My weapon is hidden from view but at my finger tips.

Follow-up for those who requested pics. This was a very simple, secure and solid install. I used the Uncle Mike's opposed to leather or Fobus because they were softer and I wanted something more solid. I believe the car kits cost about three times as much and come with a bunch of stuff I didn't need. In the end though, carry how you like, this was just fun to do anyway and has worked for quite some time.

Link to the pics>

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...skPro/ForSale/

Just not secure for toddlers who could have access and may violate your state laws.

For what its worth a recent experience taught me that even if it is legal in your area if a gun is visible to a LEO when he comes to your car there is a possibility that a gun will be pointed to your head and you will be put in cuffs in the back of his car. You may get it straightened out later as I did but that will not change the fact that you were at risk. As I was reminded of on this board being right will not make you any less dead. Anytime a gun is pointed at you you are literally within a half inch of being dead. Point is IMO if you do unholster make sure it is not visible to anyone.

I carry IWB over my right rear pocket at a sharp cant. If I lean forward it is easy to draw while sitting or seat belted. Most of the time it is comfortable enough and I drive about four hours day.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

When I am in the car, my gun is unholstered and placed in the center console for quick access. My line of work has me driving a good bit and I never found it very comfortable to be at the wheel and have my gun holstered. With it in the center console, it remains concealed with the console door/lid but remains easily accessible in the event I would need it.

crosdraw iwb holster on my person. doesn't change when i leave the car unless im going into a no gun zone.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links