Check Your Lawbooks Closely--- - Page 2

Check Your Lawbooks Closely---

This is a discussion on Check Your Lawbooks Closely--- within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (Note:I am under 21,and DONOT have my CCW license yet,nor own a handgun yet.) If I understand correctly: There are parts in VA that you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    (Note:I am under 21,and DONOT have my CCW license yet,nor own a handgun yet.) If I understand correctly: There are parts in VA that you HAVE to carry concealed if you are carrying,and parts in VA that you must have open carry. Places that serve alcohol on premises you had to have your gun in plain site. I do know some people that had to stop going to their favorite bars b/c they were open carrying.

I am wondering if getting my permit is worth all the trouble and possibly fouling up on knowledge of the laws and getting arrested/charged with something

AZ has that law NV does not. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson View Post
    That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be in Oregon. Bars, churches, schools, all good in Oregon. Only place I can't carry are prisons and courthouses. Possibly the Post Office, but that depends on how you interpret "lawful purpose". Sometimes I hear folks talking about where they can't carry, and it hardly seems worth the trouble.
    I'm in Oregon too, and you're right. BUT, most schools and other places like that have private rules that state "no guns"...if you're caught violating, you might be charged with criminal trespass. The 2 places I spend the most time outside of my home are at Portland State and Oregon Health Science University. If I am caught with a gun at PSU, I could get thrown out, and at OHSU, I could lose my job. I still haven't decided how I will handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by conservaDude View Post
    Uhhh ..."ANY PORTION of that establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises..." sounds to me like a restaurant that serves alcohol is off limits. I believe the clause continues and specifically defines the portions whose primary purpose is selling booze is off limits as well. I think the additional clause is intended to make it very clear that you cannot carry into a bar (etc). The difference is when you go to court. If caught carrying in a restaurant, you can claim ignorance because you didn't know until you got the menu or were already in there. The second clause says you have no such standing if you enter a bar with a regulated weapon. We have similarly stated rules here in Alaska and I've been told that it means that you can't carry into any place that serves alcohol, period. So I don't. Buy a good car safe and carriage-bolt it to the floor pan, nuts on the inside. Cable cutters are cheap and they work really well...

Brian
    Glad this thread came up ...I just double checked and found that in Alaska, you can carry your gun in a restaurant that serves IF you don't consume any alcohol. That's a MUCH better rule! And the rules are stated clearly and in a way that's easy to read and understand as well.

You are guilty of a 5th degree misconduct with a gun if you break the rules in AS 11.61.220:

"AS 11.61.220.d.1.C Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for
    consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the
    person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating
    liquor. <snip>"

I sit humbly corrected... and will now go refresh myself on all those rules...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    I'm in Oregon too, and you're right. BUT, most schools and other places like that have private rules that state "no guns"...if you're caught violating, you might be charged with criminal trespass. The 2 places I spend the most time outside of my home are at Portland State and Oregon Health Science University. If I am caught with a gun at PSU, I could get thrown out, and at OHSU, I could lose my job. I still haven't decided how I will handle this.
    A lot of states, and Oregon might be one, specifically state the rules about what must be true to make a place a gun-free zone. For example, if the establishment didn't put a 'no guns' sign on ALL entrances then it nullifies their intentions and you can still carry. Some places only put the sign on the main entrance and that may not mean a thing depending on your local rules. Not that I would recommend pushing the rules, but it's a good idea to know what they are and to check all entrances before going in ...they can't bust you if you're within the law.

Brian

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    In NM, you can be found guilty of a felony for carrying in a place that serves, regardless of whether the signage was visible: it's strict liability here. State v. Torres, 2003-NMCA-101, 134 N.M. 194, 75 P.3d 410 (Ct. App. 2003).

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yea Erich I inadvertently carried into a Wall mart in Northern NM right after colorado got resprisciosity and did not untill later realise that i had commited a felony , and strict liability one at that . Thankfully no incident or notice was taken . I did the same thing in TX entering a hospital that did not have 30.06 signs clearly posted at the entrance i used . Once i learned of the respective statutes tho i respect them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I am wondering if getting my permit is worth all the trouble and possibly fouling up on knowledge of the laws and getting arrested/charged with something
    Your question concerns me. As a concealed weapon permit holder, it is your responsibility to know the law. If you have doubts about getting your permit because you're concerned about your lack of knowledge of the law, I would urge you not to get your permit until you have obtained the requisite knowledge. That requires time, effort and money on your part.

In addition to whatever mandatory training your State requires, you would be well advised to enroll in a class or classes taught by competent, professional instructors. If you can't, or won't, make this committment, then you should not carry a gun.

Is it "worth all the trouble" to do this? You bet it is.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I am not a holder yet. Thats why I am doing everything I can to research it :) . I appreciate your imput.

It can be a hassle at times but nowhere near the hassle of getting mugged, beaten or killed by some lowlife in search of drug money.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    (Note:I am under 21,and DONOT have my CCW license yet,nor own a handgun yet.) If I understand correctly: There are parts in VA that you HAVE to carry concealed if you are carrying,and parts in VA that you must have open carry. Places that serve alcohol on premises you had to have your gun in plain site. I do know some people that had to stop going to their favorite bars b/c they were open carrying.

You should get your CCW permit even if you don't end up carrying much. A) It gives you peace of mind that when necessary, you CAN carry if you want. And B) Exercise those rights or lose them. Numbers count.

Brian

[QUOTE=Fjolnirsson;34635]That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be in Oregon. Bars, churches, schools, all good in Oregon. Only place I can't carry are prisons and courthouses. Possibly the Post Office, but that depends on how you interpret "lawful purpose". Sometimes I hear folks talking about where they can't carry, and it hardly seems worth the trouble.
    QUOTE]

Post offices are off limits. United states post offices are federal facilities and carry is prohibited under federal law!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    FYI

In Texas if there is no 51&#37; sign on the establishment you can carry.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

One of the few good things about Minnesota. No laws against carrying places that serve or sell alcohol. But we do have a .04 blood alcohol limit for carrying.

Indiana

In Indiana you can carry into a bar resturant. I am not sure if you can drink or not. When I carry and plan to go out to dinner or what not I choose not to drink. It also gives others in my group a DD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links