Check Your Lawbooks Closely---

This is a discussion on Check Your Lawbooks Closely--- within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my travels throughout the state,I have heard some "old wives tales" ref. the places that you could and could not CCW. I would reccommend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Your Lawbooks Closely---

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar

In my travels throughout the state,I have heard some "old wives tales" ref. the places that you could and could not CCW. I would reccommend that ya'll check(closely) your local and state laws pertaining to the establishments that serve alcoholic beverages. Please remember that your laws could be different, but the Fla. statutes(790.06 & s.823.05)states that you CANNOT carry a concealed weapon into an establishment that "--any portion of that establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for comsumption on the premises,which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose--". HUH ? WHAT ??----- This tells me that you CAN carry into a restrauant that also serves alcohol with the meal.(Applebee's,TGIFridays,Red Lobster,etc.) As long as the primary reason for doing buisness is to serve food or offer another service. A bowling ally comes to mind also. You CANNOT CCW into,bars,lounges,etc.(Even though the "good ol' boys/BUBBA bars" down here ALWAYS have boiled eggs and pigs feet in the big wide mouthed jars sittin' on the bar.) Check your lawbook closely. You might be surprised where you can CCW.----------

My Red Lobster has an actual bar in it. So it has a portion which dispenses alcohol for comsumption and that portion is primarily devoted to that purpose. So as I read it the entire establishment (restaurant) would be a no CCW zone. Am I reading this correctly?
    Managerial Nightmare
    A proud supplier of ex-managers to mental health clinics.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Rat, I personally would think that if an establishment has a bar in it,like some bowling ally's have a lounge under the same roof,you COULD be in the bowling ally part CCW but you COULD NOT go into the bar part(especially through an interior door). Same in the Red Lob that you mentioned. Eatin' part OK--through the door or into a seperate room to the bar/lounge NOT OK. This is just one persons opinion.--------

Thanks. This is all new ground to me so I have a lot to learn.
    Managerial Nightmare
    A proud supplier of ex-managers to mental health clinics.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Another good reason to check the laws is that there can be minor changes concering carry methods and such. GA law used to describe the manner in which a CCW could be carried. Ankle holsters where not allowed under the old wording. The stores here all sold ankle holsters and lots of people used them, and I never knew of anyone to get charged for doing so, but it wasn't "allowed". The wording was changed this year to remove that language, but it got no public notice at all. I didn't notice until my brother looked up the CCW law for some reason and saw that the wording had been changed.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be in Oregon. Bars, churches, schools, all good in Oregon. Only place I can't carry are prisons and courthouses. Possibly the Post Office, but that depends on how you interpret "lawful purpose". Sometimes I hear folks talking about where they can't carry, and it hardly seems worth the trouble.
    Yeah, be sure to read your laws carefully, and the knife sections, too. CA says carrying a Leatherman type tool on school grounds(for example, the parking lot while picking up your kid) is a felony. Lots of tricky stuff in the law books nowadays. If you can do it, I highly recommend picking up a copy of your state criminal code every year, and reading through the changes in the weapons stuff. CA loved sneaking in changes. In 2004, a bunch of people became de facto felons, when the wording of the law forbidding brass knuckles was changed to include plastic kubatons. The books usually run around $30. Well worth it, IMO.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Copies of the codes should all be online.
    Shooters' Legacy

Copies of the codes should all be online.
    LOL. Ya know, since I spent a good deal of time in LE classes, I guess I just got used to lugging around my paper copy. I never thought of checking them online. 'Though I don't know if they get updated in a timely manner or not.
    Good tip! Thanks.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Sure thing. Some of the online formats are better than others. Some are searchable, but the searh engines aren't that good. Others have all of the code sections listed individually, but they don't have the text title of the of the actual section making finding what you need hard. At least with the paper copy you get an index, can make notes in them, and you can take them beyond the reach of your net access.
    Shooters' Legacy

In Florida, as long as you stay out of the designated "bar" portion of an establishment, you can CCW. Check out http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/index.shtml . Find the book, buy it, and read it. Lays out Florida law as clear as it can get.

Senior Moderator
    Our law is online. Go to Arkansas State Police,Concealed Weapons and its tell you all about it. When teaching classes, I go over this extensively.

As a matter of fact, two years ago the law was amended to include "resturaunts" that serve alcohol. Whereas one couldnt legally carry in any place that served alcohol, now as long as the resturaunt gets more than 60 percent of its oncome from food, you are legal.

Still cant carry in bars though...

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    New Mexico is simple: if they sell alcoholic beverages at retail (whether by the package or by the drink), it's a felony to carry there.

The Code on the Virginia state website stays very much up-to-date. The code published on the municode.com website may not get updated but once a year - it depends on the locality.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    The NM law has changed since my last post on this topic. As of July 1, 2007, it will be legal for a CCW licensee to carry concealed where liquor is sold for off-premises consumption. Please see the NM DPS website for a link to the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    <snip>"--any portion of that establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for comsumption on the premises,which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose--". <snip>
    Uhhh ..."ANY PORTION of that establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises..." sounds to me like a restaurant that serves alcohol is off limits. I believe the clause continues and specifically defines the portions whose primary purpose is selling booze is off limits as well. I think the additional clause is intended to make it very clear that you cannot carry into a bar (etc). The difference is when you go to court. If caught carrying in a restaurant, you can claim ignorance because you didn't know until you got the menu or were already in there. The second clause says you have no such standing if you enter a bar with a regulated weapon. We have similarly stated rules here in Alaska and I've been told that it means that you can't carry into any place that serves alcohol, period. So I don't. Buy a good car safe and carriage-bolt it to the floor pan, nuts on the inside. Cable cutters are cheap and they work really well...

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links