Anyone work on an airport?

This is a discussion on Anyone work on an airport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you generally do with your CCW if so? You basically have to leave it in the car or not carry at all. I ...

Thread: Anyone work on an airport?

Anyone work on an airport?

What do you generally do with your CCW if so? You basically have to leave it in the car or not carry at all.

I work at a major intl airport six days a week. Two different jobs. I have full access to the airport and I could easily get the weapon in with me. Obviously I dont. But I hate locking it up in the car in employee parking lots. So for one job, I dont carry. The other job, the parking is more secure and I carry and lock the weapon up.

Anyone else?

2. Remove Ads

I have sort of the same problem -- when I travel to places that don't allow weapons, I have to leave it in the car. Fortunately for me, I keep my car incredibly clean, with nothing of value lying around, like cd players, cell phones, cd cases, money sticking out, etc. Really, I never have anything of value ever in my car, unless you count myself . Plus, my car has the standard cassette type player -- no expensive system for me. Plus I leave my vehicle in a well lit area near other vehicles. So the chances of someone breaking into my beat-up Hyundai for valuables is pretty slim. Im not saying it won't happen, but I've done my best to eliminate many of the chances.

When I have to deposit my firearm in the vehicle, I put it in a small, strong lockbox hidden under an old blanket and umbrella in my back seat. The magazines I store separately in a different part of the vehicle, or I carry them on me. Sometimes unfortunately we can't carry 100% of the time

I try to drive my beater kia to the second job if I carry. I then put the gun and mag into the trunk in the first aid kit and place that in the spare tire well.

I found at one of our local gun stores here a neat little gun safe that bolts to your vehicle, either under the seat or in the trunk. It is just big enough to maybe put in two large simi autos. Comes with a tamper proof alarm, opens with either a finger touch combination or a barrel key..it is a little pricey at $139 but for me, my guns are worth the security and peace of mind when I have to leave them locked up in the car.

I have seen those online. But the price for a lock box seems steep. I may build my own out of sheetmetal (after all...I am an aircraft tech) I guess I could be doing that right now instead of playing on the internet.....Next time.

My second job does not allow "gun" web sites to be viewed. Stupid corporate filters so I play on the web here. But the second job does not have adequate facilities to build sheet metal projects. I'll be damned if I do it off company time :)

Quote Originally Posted by althemean View Post
    I have seen those online. But the price for a lock box seems steep. I may build my own out of sheetmetal (after all...I am an aircraft tech) I guess I could be doing that right now instead of playing on the internet.....Next time.
    Try the Center-of-Mass lockbox - from $30. http://www.center-of-mass.com/ Also sold under the "Secure-It" brand name at Cabela's.

My second job does not allow "gun" web sites to be viewed. Stupid corporate filters so I play on the web here. But the second job does not have adequate facilities to build sheet metal projects. I'll be damned if I do it off company time :)
    I couldn't get on this site from a Panera's free WiFi while on a business trip last month 'cause it was classified as "inappropriate" or some such...
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

appreciate the link....

What do you generally do with your CCW if so? You basically have to leave it in the car or not carry at all.

I work at a major intl airport six days a week. Two different jobs. I have full access to the airport and I could easily get the weapon in with me. Obviously I dont. But I hate locking it up in the car in employee parking lots. So for one job, I dont carry. The other job, the parking is more secure and I carry and lock the weapon up.

Anyone else?
    I am a little confused. Airports in Texas have no restriction for CHL permitees for the general public areas. However, when you get into the secured areas you are subject to federal regulations. Are you working in a secured area or is this a state law problem about which you are concerned?

P.S. Maybe you have already answered my question when you said that you "have full access to the airport."

I work in a SIDA area

Hi...Newbie here..so be gentle.

Outside the SIDA.....You are ok..Depnding on Airport...PHL..They will give you grief....Get a Gun into the Sterile/SIDA area and you will be facing federal charges.

^^obviously....the question was/is What to do? Carry the gun knowing you have to leave it in a car, or leave it at home?

No Problem For me!

Because I am the Airport Manager!

Needless to say, I encourage my staff to protect themselves in whatever manner they choose.

We have been known to have shooting competitions off the end of a runway on slow days...

...Skye...

^^obviously....the question was/is What to do? Carry the gun knowing you have to leave it in a car, or leave it at home?
    I consider my ride to and from work the most dangerous parts of my day. I won't leave my gun at home if I have another option. Given your choices, I'd lock it in the car, preferrably without having to make a public show of putting it in the trunk.

I need to get one of those interior lock boxes also, so I can discretely lock it up. If I had to park in an area I wasn't comfortable with, I'd probably leave my nicest gun home and take a trusted second, one I'm not as attached to as my primary. I'd also try to get a very strong lock box.

If it was legal to park with gun in car, I would be armed on the drives, even with the possibility of my gun being stolen from the parking lot.

thanks Grady. Thats the best suggestion. Get a el cheapo pistola. Kel Tec comes to mind....

Links