Scruples - and lack of.

Scruples - and lack of.

This is a discussion on Scruples - and lack of. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a ''musing'', food for thought ramble (my usual ) We discuss BG's all the time - mindsets, psyche etc - but one major element ...

Thread: Scruples - and lack of.

Assistant Administrator

Scruples - and lack of.

Just a ''musing'', food for thought ramble (my usual )

We discuss BG's all the time - mindsets, psyche etc - but one major element which strikes me as helping define bad guys is - pure and simple - lack of scruples.

''I want'' = ''I will obtain by any means". The how and where will be down to what is convenient - with little thought for any potential victims.

These folks have probably never stood back to think - "I wonder if I would like that done to me?"

My scruples are linked inextricably with my conscience - my guide thru life - my repository for values and what I regard as right and wrong. Admittedly, (thanks to my late and dear departed parents - much credit goes to them for my own values), we have once more a potential background of unscrupulousness regarding BG's (and budding BG's) which may be linked to family inadequacies. That said - I do not permit those aspects to excuse bad behavior or condone criminal actions. Right and wrong should be pretty darned obvious come supposed 'adulthood'.

The final part of this is - lack of scruples - viz unscrupulousness - can readily make for cold, hard headed evil intent by the criminal. Remember this - because in situations where the victim for example ''appeals'' to a rapist to ''be kind and let me go'' - ''please don't shoot me'' - it needs remembered that the perpetrator has no scuples and so possibly no qualms about what he does. Consequences matter little.

In a defensive situation - if we are to come out breathing - we'd best bear this in mind. Once the unscrupulous criminal is bent on achieving his ends - nothing very often will be allowed to stand in the way - be it person or any obstacle. If we are under threat - respond - it may be a life-saver.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Excellent post Sir, you hit the nail on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    In a defensive situation - if we are to come out breathing - we'd best bear this in mind. Once the unscrupulous criminal is bent on achieving his ends - nothing very often will be allowed to stand in the way - be it person or any obstacle. If we are under threat - respond - it may be a life-saver.
    Exactly. The only thing these animals understand is force. Crying, begging, reasoning, or negotiating with them is an exercise if futility. When I read articles that advise women not to resist a rapist, or advise people not to attempt any resistance to home-invaders, muggers, etc., it infuriates me. The fools that advocate this non-violent, pacifism crap have obviously never been on the receiving end of any of the violent behavior on which they claim to be such experts.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I was raised learning that there were consequences to my actions. Criminals have not learned consequences because they have always gotten away with what they do, or they are too preoccupied with getting what they want, like money for their next crack fix, that they just don't care.

I take "do onto others" pretty seriously, so I find it fascinating, but not surprising, that there are people who do terrible things to others without the least bit of care, and then be hypocritical about it when something is done to them. You see it all the time, especially among gangbangers. One shoots another, gets mad when there's paybacks, and then the cycle continues until nobody remembers who started what and it doesn't matter anymore, because killing, raping, stealing and drug-dealing is all they know and all they do.

They don't like having done to them what they do to everybody else. Rob them and they won't say, "Well, that's karma on me for all the years I mugged people."

And as for rapists, it makes me angry when people say, "don't resist." There's a 50/50 chance of being murdered, ending up pregnant, ending up with a disease, and let's not forget the psychological effects. It's my body, and when I say NO, there's no negotiation. Show me your barrel, rapist, and I'll show you mine.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

One of the great struggles of concealed carry is overcoming the respect for life, compassion and concern for others that leads us to protect our families, so we can pull the trigger when necessary. The left and the self-righteous frequently talk about taking the high road, and not lowering oneself to the level of one's assailants. The fact of the matter is the bad guys don't play fair, don't follow the rules, and what rules they have, they make up as they go, and the rules always favor the house. It seems to me that our struggle ends up begin to decide how much of our decency we are willing to set aside in order to preserve the lives and welfare of those we love. For myself, I have learned that I will give no more quarter than the law demands.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Administrator

Additional Thought Concerning Bettys Post

Being Raped & contracting HIV / AIDS from a rapist (that is also an intravenous drug user) is identical to getting a slow death sentence.
    So these days the act of RAPE is even more horrible and serious than just the sexual violation of another unwilling human being.
    Any rapist that is caught & had prior knowledge that he had AIDS or was HIV Positive should face murder charges in addition to the charges of rape.

When I am king any rape that coincides with any kind of bruise, injury, or any ill effect on the physical health on the victim will also be tried for attempted murder, which will be possible to punish by execution.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc for KING!!!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    One of the great struggles of concealed carry is overcoming the respect for life, compassion and concern for others that leads us to protect our families, so we can pull the trigger when necessary...
    ...It seems to me that our struggle ends up begin to decide how much of our decency we are willing to set aside in order to preserve the lives and welfare of those we love. For myself, I have learned that I will give no more quarter than the law demands.
    These are excellent points. How often do we hear someone say something like: "I took a self-defense course but I don't know if I could actually hurt someone." Or, "yeah, I carry a knife/gun but just so I could scare them away, I could never stab/shoot someone." They fail to take into account the fact that the predators--the wolves have no conscience, no morals, and no compunction about hurting or killing them (this just goes back to the original discussion on the criminal mindset.) The "moral high ground" stuff is a load of crap. Rules only work when both sides agree to abide by them. If this is not the case then the one not playing by the rules is going to have a distinct advantage.

The solution to the problem is first, acceptance of the fact that these people are out there and that ANYONE can be targeted as a victim. The second part of the equation is coming to the realization that an attitude of "kill or be killed" is called for, in other words; in order to deal with these types of people, we must be willing to be just as nasty as they are; willing to do whatever it takes to stop the threat. This is often referred to as "killer instinct" or something of the kind. Oftentimes there is a negative connotation attached to this type of mindset and people that vocalize it are called "bloodthirsty" or "unstable." However, I feel it is imperative for those of us concerned for our safety and that of our loved ones to cultivate such an attitude. (I'm not saying we're bloodthirsty and unstable...that's how the bleeding-heart leftists describe us.)

This is not to say that we should look for trouble or that every threat dictates immediate use of maximum force. What I'm saying is that we need to take a honest, "no-frills" look at ourselves to determine the way in which we are going to respond to a violent threat.

Okay, I'm done...sorry for the thread drift
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Assistant Administrator
    Ken - no thread drift from here - just some good thinking addition.

I would add also - anyone determined to defend themselves has to allow anger to be a benefit. If under attack we need to allow anger to have free reign once established we are actually being attacked - a need to feel incenced that a low-life has the gall to harm us. This should IMO enable pure defensive reaction to set in and override our own possible scruples - at having to possibly shoot another.
    Chris - P95

Being ready, willing and able to defend the innocent IS the moral and ethical "high ground". Don't let those with no scruples define the terms. I DO have an extremely high regard for human life - that's why I won't stand idly by and let the BGs prevail.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

Senior Moderator
    Good posts by all... :1prost:

Most of the people that carry concealed are good folks with good morals.

What many of them dont understand are some of the concepts that have presented here. They simply cant fathom the thought that the world is full of people that dont think just like they do. Its a perception problem.

They may have never dealt with anyone with NO morals so they really dont know how to act or even think when confronted with some thug with no respect for society or life in general.

One must have the warrior mentality when it comes to understanding. As far as I am concerned, the ENEMY is anyone that wants to hurt me,my own,my friends or reduce the standards that I enjoy in life and that includes any politician that limit my rights or freedoms. Some of the worst thugs recorded in the history of mankind wore suits and ties.

Most of the posters on this site seem to have the "warrior"mentality. It is not something that happens by itself,or overnight. It comes from training and education. It comes from "practice".It comes from being aware of your surroundings to the point that you will not be surprised by some thug that exists only to take advantage of people.

Even so, some folks would argue that thugs be treated with a white glove approach. Having personally dealt with many bottom dwellers, I understand that hardcore criminals only understand one thing...and that thing is power. :AR15firin

Offer them anything less and they will take advantage of you. Offer them a "Hammerfist" approach and you will be more successful in your dealing with them. :smashfrea

We can all contribute to changing the world one person at a time though, by educating all of those that we can. Most folks will never have the warrior mentality...choosing to live in ignorance and total dependence of others for their safety. However..for those that can and will be educated, it is our responsibility as good citizens to ensure that we can strengthen the ranks with those of like mind.

I think this board is one of the better ones that helps do that.

This reminds me of an old saying "What goes around comes around"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    "yeah, I carry a knife/gun but just so I could scare them away, I could never stab/shoot someone."
    These are the people we read and see on the news that get killed with their own tools. A defensive weapon is not an "accesory" that goes with your outfit. It is akin like those parents of unruly children we see at supermarkets that ask their kids for a "timeout" or give them empty promises about punishment.

This is the kind of attitude help criminals to get even bolder because they know they can expect no consequences if they confront pople like this. A sheep wearing fangs that is not willing to use is just a sheep with a bad dental plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    A sheep wearing fangs that is not willing to use is just a sheep with a bad dental plan.
    I like that!

Matt K.

Sponsored Links