Traffic stop disarm question

This is a discussion on Traffic stop disarm question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the responses. I did not know it was procedure to let me retrieve my own weapon. If he was concerned about disarming me ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop disarm question

Thanks for the responses.
    I did not know it was procedure to let me retrieve my own weapon. If he was concerned about disarming me why would he want ME tp pick it up at all? Seems safer to leave it alone as most LEO would in the situation.

I guess the scenario I was really discussing were tales of arrogant rookies who think we should not be armed and freak the hell out when they know you are even if you pose no threat. I said felony stop style, as the stories i heard were being pulled out and disarmed/ searched fully.

Bottom line now, Im not gonna worry about it. I respect the LEO and the peace they protect. Hopefully I only deal with the finest.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe the confusion comes from the "must inform" clause in so many of our states regulations. I don't see anything in my states regs that say HOW to inform. I assume, as to many, that any means of conveying the fact is fine. And so the least intrusive and easiest way is to just present the CWP with the License. Then take it from there. Which is what I do.

I don't get into chit chat with them unless they want to engage in it. Some do, some don't. Its a waste of their time and mine I figure. They got their job to do and I got mine.

The only time I have been in this situation, I was not stopped while driving, but was approached by an officer in his official capacity while I was carrying. This triggers the regulation. I was awaiting a Sheriff's Deputy to arrive at my residence that had been broken into, to do a Investigation. Technically this is an official situation where I am required to identify. So I just handed my stuff to him and he handed it back. Nothing else was said nor done about that part of it and we both went about dealing with the Break in.

I never speed. Had only one ticket in my life. But figure at some point I will run into a license check again. Thats about the only way I figure it will come up.

if an LEO actually wants to disarm you (rare)
    when you tell him where it is, he will change his mind

I just posted this in the other thread pertaining to this subject.

It is a personal judgment call in the states that do not require the license holder to present. Depending on the LEO, and the reason for the stop, showing the CC permit could make the situation better or worse, not showing could make the situation better or worse.

Follow the Officer's instruction.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Follow the Officer's instruction.
    +1. This is exactly what to do.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

I have decided that it is concealed and my knowledge until the officer either volunteers that I have a CC permit (it will show up in CO on a background check - legislature F/U), or asks me to step out of the vehicle (Colorado State Trooper bad habit), at which point I will say, "Officer I feel that it is my responsibility at this time to inform you that I have a CC permit and I am armed. For your safety and mine, I will follow any directions that you have for me and answer any questions that you have pertaining to what I have just stated." Still keeping my hands on the steering wheel.

If asked why I did not volunteer this earlier, "I have been taught that there are only two people that need to know that I have a CCW. Myself and the person that it is being pointed at under the guidelines set forth in Colorado Revised Statute 18.1.704, or presented to under the guidelines set forth in Colorado Revised Statute 18.12.105.5 and 18.12.214. (this may be revised since I can not find the section where when required to leave said weapon in the possession of security personnel, it shall be locked/stored in a secure place, and returned to me upon my departure from the property).
    You're gonna say all that?

Good luck with that approach. Cops just LOVE lawyer wannabes.

I would suggest something that comes off as a little less wiseass, though I am sure that's not the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    You're gonna say all that?

Good luck with that approach. Cops just LOVE lawyer wannabes.

I would suggest something that comes off as a little less wiseass, though I am sure that's not the intent.
    We all have our own opinions and feelings on how to handle a situation. It is impossible to know how any LEO is going to react to how you say or do something. The statements of previous posters have made that clear. Some get away with no ticket when they deserved it, some got it anyway, some get mistreated for volunteering the CC when they're not required to.

How we handle any situation is based on past experience or knowledge passed on from others.

My choice of words is better than "Because I don't have to tell you I have the permit and am armed."

A question to all the LEOs on this forum in states that do not require presentation;

Can you say with 100% confidence that every patrol officer in your department wants the driver to volunteer the CC right from the start, and will treat it like no big deal no matter what the reason for the stop is, the appearance, gender, and race of the driver, location, and time of day of the stop?

12 days and nothing. Hmmmm...I thought not.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

in Arkansas we are to give both license and permit at being stopped. however, he knows already you have a permit since it's on file.

TomCat, again the only time in Arkansas you have to show your CPL by law is when asked for it... About half the officers think you have to declare when asked for your DL, a few think you have to declare at first contact.

Sticks, most all officers would like you to declare when they ask for you DL. From the department I work with, one sergeant, a shift supervisor stated he personally did not care what state you had a CPL from, he thought you would most likely be a good guy and thinks it is a good idea to carry every chance you get. One female officer a Cpl had one guy who was a convicted felon who got by the system and had the magic paper, so she is pretty much going to check everyone.

There is not a written policy by the state police on how to deal with a person who is carrying with a CPL. I do not know of a written policy by any county or local PD. It is up to the officer on the spot as how to handle, most all officers I know it will be a non-issue unless something else does not past what one would call the smell test.

VIP Member
    Rather than reaching I'll bet he might just say unzip!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I have always just kept my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight (holding my DL) and informed the officer I am armed. One officer asked to see the pistol when I told him what kind it was, and he happened to carry the same model as his off duty gun (which was pretty cool since the gun I had was a really rare variant). The point is, every officer I have ever told I was armed was very professional about it. Just be really polite and helpful whenever possible and most of the time I would say you'll be OK.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    The few times I need to declair it to a LEO, I handed over my permit on top of my licence and stated, "Just to let you know, I am carrying a concealed weapon". I had one ask where it was. They thanked me for letting them know and business as usual.

I have never been pulled over(knock on wood), but I would always give my DL and CHL(even if not carrying). That may sound kind of extreme, but as soon as my license plate gets ran, the LEO will already know I have it, and not all of our police are as well versed on Concealed Carry Laws as we are. For me, I would just rather avoid the impression that I was trying to hide something. As an added plus, most of the police officers I have talked to said for them to give a ticket to a CHL, he would have to be doing something pretty bad. I'll give him my CHL every time, if anything, just to let him know we are on the same side.

As for the other part, I use a smart carry also, and I've worried about that same thing. The advice earlier...Hands on steering wheel, license in hand, dome light on, insurance in visor so you don't have to reach across the car, window rolled down, and stopped in a lighted area. All good ways to insure the situation does not escalate...
    In case he wanted to disarm me for some reason, I would also tell him I have a XD9mm loaded with one in the chamber and it does not have a safety(I'd also tell him where it is...I think that would stop him from personally disarming me)
    And like was mentioned earlier, if he asked me to hand it to him or place it on the hood or anything like that, I would withdraw it with two fingers rather than full grip.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links