Traffic stop disarm question

This is a discussion on Traffic stop disarm question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simple traffic stop scenario... I have carried successfully for 4 months now, and have found this site very helpful. I have decided that if pulled ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop disarm question

Simple traffic stop scenario...

I have carried successfully for 4 months now, and have found this site very helpful. I have decided that if pulled over I will hand LEO my lisence and ccw(even though fla doesnt have to). I have read of the situation going both ways, ie.. "where is weapon?" "holstered on my hip" ok, good, leave it there" -OR- the rookie who points his pistol at your head and proceeds to disarm you felony stop style.

Now if I was carrying IWB, that easy to unholster(for LEO). I am concerned as to my usual Smartcarry. Its gonna be NO fun and honestly scary to hope like hell he doesnt grab a trigger! Anyone had this experience?

To be clear, this is a simple speeding stop or the like. NO drugs,drinking etc to warrant escalation.

Administrator
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here...but you really dont have much of a choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I doubt any LEO will try and disarm you. If you volunteer that you are armed, make sure you do it in a non-threatening tone and wording, and make no threatening actions, they will most likely appreciate it.

Most times I have seen this happen (before I started CCW) to friends and family, the LEO would run the permit number, maybe the serial number on the firearm, and usually forget he even pulled us over to write a ticket, thanked the driver for letting him know he had a CW, and sent us on our way.

Now, if you shout "I HAVE A GUN" or something similar, while waving your hands frantically, expect to be facedown on the ground shortly after.

I've been stop a few times. The best way I've found is to present your permit with you lic.

Jake
    g 26, Compact cdp,FN 5.7x28,gp100,
    kel tec,M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Most likely once you tell him where the gun is, he's gonna ask YOU to get it.
    Seriously ,I don't see a problem. Doesn't matter where you carry, the play out is the same....

Keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel at all times, dome light on if at night. Polite, courteous, everything stated above.

If asked where the weapon is, "It's a (insert weapon make and model here), inside my smart carry holster located in front of my right hip. It is chambered/loaded and the safety is (on/off). NO TAKEY HANDS OFF STEERING WHEEL!!!

I have decided that it is concealed and my knowledge until the officer either volunteers that I have a CC permit (it will show up in CO on a background check - legislature F/U), or asks me to step out of the vehicle (Colorado State Trooper bad habit), at which point I will say, "Officer I feel that it is my responsibility at this time to inform you that I have a CC permit and I am armed. For your safety and mine, I will follow any directions that you have for me and answer any questions that you have pertaining to what I have just stated." Still keeping my hands on the steering wheel.

If asked why I did not volunteer this earlier, "I have been taught that there are only two people that need to know that I have a CCW. Myself and the person that it is being pointed at under the guidelines set forth in Colorado Revised Statute 18.1.704, or presented to under the guidelines set forth in Colorado Revised Statute 18.12.105.5 and 18.12.214. (this may be revised since I can not find the section where when required to leave said weapon in the possession of security personnel, it shall be locked/stored in a secure place, and returned to me upon my departure from the property).

Thumbs up

Good stuff, Sticks, especially this: "Officer I feel that it is my responsibility at this time to inform you that I have a CC permit and I am armed. For your safety and mine, I will follow any directions that you have for me and answer any questions that you have pertaining to what I have just stated."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here...but you really dont have much of a choice.
    i think hes worried about being changed from arooster to a hen.
    i also use a smartcarry and that thought has poped in my head
    a few times.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Telling an officer where the gun is (in a smartcarry holster inside my pants) is probably a good idea. No fast moves and if at all possible take hold of the weapon in a manner that does not look like you have easy access to the trigger using your thumb, index, and middle finger around the grip. If you use your regular grip with full palm and index finger near the trigger you would increase his alert status and/or nervousness.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Here in NC I was in a license check line and had an expired safety inspection sticker on my windshield. State Trooper told me to pull over and I handed him my permit, drivers license and told him I had a handgun in the console. He said ok, walked back to his car and proceeded to give me a ticket ($100.00) for the expired inspection. The gun was a non issue. I'm sure he ran the permit, etc. By non issue, I mean he never made any mention of it or gave me any further instructions after he said ok. Just be careful and polite. Follow their lead and hopefully you won't get neutered!

I believe it is in everybodys best interest to hand over your ccw permit with your license. That way the LEO knows you are legally allowed to carry concealed and can persue that issue if he chooses. He also will know that if you have a ccw permit, you passed all the required tests and are probably not an ass.( At least not a lawbreaking one).

In Oklahoma the CCW law requires a CCW owner to provide any law officer informatioon that they are carrying upon first contact. I've found it's also a good way to only get a warning. The last time I got pulled over I was doing 75 in a 65 MPH area. I had just picked up my son after purchasing a new Bersa Thunder380 CC. He was a young trooper that according to stories would write his mother a ticket. Any way in acordance with the law I declared my CCW, he asked to see it and asked where my gun was. I told him that I had 2 on at that time. The .380 and Sig 40
    As soon as he got my card he ran the numbers and asked where I was carrying my gun. I told him one on my hip and the new Bersa in my pocket. As soon as he got conformation on the radio he let me go with a warning. My son-in-llaw said this trooper would write his mother a ticket.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I have never seen a LEO reach into the car to disarm you. Officers are trained to never actually reach into a vehicle for anything. Too many cops have been dragged and badly injured or killed while reaching into vehicles. If an officer wants you to disarm when stopped, he will ask YOU to hand him your gun. He will not reach into the vehicle to disarm you. No reason to be nervous about him grabbing the trigger because he won't be grabbing the gun from your smartcarry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Here in NC I was in a license check line and had an expired safety inspection sticker on my windshield. State Trooper told me to pull over and I handed him my permit, drivers license and told him I had a handgun in the console. He said ok, walked back to his car and proceeded to give me a ticket ($100.00) for the expired inspection. The gun was a non issue. I'm sure he ran the permit, etc. By non issue, I mean he never made any mention of it or gave me any further instructions after he said ok. Just be careful and polite. Follow their lead and hopefully you won't get neutered!
    In Texas all we have to do is produce the permit along with the driver's license. Nothing has to be said. On my two stops they did not seem all that impressed or concerned -- I still got the ticket. However, my wife was luckier. She produced her permit and was asked if she was carrying. She said "No, but I went to all the trouble to get the permit, and this is my first opportunity to show it." He laughed, and he told her to go on and be more alert.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    I believe it is in everybodys best interest to hand over your ccw permit with your license. That way the LEO knows you are legally allowed to carry concealed and can persue that issue if he chooses. ).
    If I remember correctly this is exactly as Mas Ayoob recommended it be done in a recent PD segment on the Outdoor channel. This seems so common sense to me that I can't imagine why this matter often gets so much discussion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links